Author Topic: Video: Royal Marines capture and sink pirate vessel  (Read 4622 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Re: Video: Royal Marines capture and sink pirate vessel
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2009, 10:52:50 AM »
:)

Whatever dude.

Make as many supercilious comments as you like and be as "worried" as you like about people defending actions like these despite the legality, you're still not gonna convince me that the pirates got anything other than what they deserved.

Offline Timofei

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2009, 11:41:09 AM »
II just don't care whether it was legal or not.

The bottom line..
Next time it may be you..but don't complain...nobody cares.
Proverbs 15:17 "Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred herewith."

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2009, 12:22:58 PM »
LOL.

I kinda doubt I'll ever be floating around the Gulf of Aden in a skiff with crate full of RPGs but ok.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »
Defending just the law. Well good luck Die Hard.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2009, 02:09:16 PM »
Thank you.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2009, 02:25:12 PM »

I get you fine, I just don't care whether it was legal or not.

:lol
Exactly my sentiments!

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Apeotomy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2009, 02:28:11 PM »
Do you like the idea of a state having unlimited liberty of action?

No?

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2009, 03:47:56 PM »
They sure do. That's why Britain is what it is these days.

Surveillance state. Police state.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2009, 03:50:39 PM »
I'm British, of course I do!

Mate, all states have unlimited liberty of action.  Treaties, international law, the UN.....it's all just paper, smoke and mirrors.  Any country can do whatever it likes at any time, there will just be consequences.

The consequences, for example, of Cuba sending out privateers to harrass American shipping would, I daresay, be a carrier battle group parked outside Guantanamo Bay with orders to sink anything not flying the stars and stripes.  So they don't do that.

The consequences of Britain capturing and sinking a Somali vessel strongly suspected (but not proven) of committing acts of piracy are........um.........gimme a min, I'm sure I'll think of something.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2009, 03:51:43 PM »
Nope, I can't think of anything.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »
International ridicule for having to let them go?

-Gandhi

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2009, 04:02:44 PM »
Oh yeah, there's that.  :)  I think we can live with that.

But then if we had taken them into custody you could say we'd kidnapped foreign nationals as well.

Offline Apeotomy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2009, 06:39:08 PM »
I'm British, of course I do!

Mate, all states have unlimited liberty of action.  Treaties, international law, the UN.....it's all just paper, smoke and mirrors.  Any country can do whatever it likes at any time, there will just be consequences.

The consequences, for example, of Cuba sending out privateers to harrass American shipping would, I daresay, be a carrier battle group parked outside Guantanamo Bay with orders to sink anything not flying the stars and stripes.  So they don't do that.

The consequences of Britain capturing and sinking a Somali vessel strongly suspected (but not proven) of committing acts of piracy are........um.........gimme a min, I'm sure I'll think of something.

Lets clear up some things. The state only has the liberty of action which the governed people allow it. No people, no state.

The consequence of Britain capturing and sinking a Somalian vessel (operating under sovereignty) who is "suspected" of commiting an act of piracy, Is an advance on the disestablishment of liberty.

Today it is, I suspect you of being a pirate therefore I destroy your property. Tomorrow it is "I suspect maybe/might/could/can/would act against me therefore to the gulag you go.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »
I really doubt that what the RN did would ever lead to anything other then more pirate ships and pirates having their guns & means of travel on the sea's taken away.

Even if what they did wasn't legally right, it was morally right.  It prevented the attack of another commercial ship in the area, and sent a message to other pirates in the area that the international community isn't going to put up with their actions anymore.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2009, 07:56:56 PM »
For the last time: It was legal.

-Gandhi