Author Topic: Pingplotter not happy  (Read 534 times)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Pingplotter not happy
« on: June 07, 2009, 07:04:29 PM »
Here is a Pingplotter trace I just ran to the 206.16.60.38 address. Help me, Obi-wan Skuzzy.  You're my only hope!

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Pingplotter not happy
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 06:39:21 AM »
Need to point your ISP at this and get them involved.  However, if they are using Level3 for thier Internet transport (Tier 1 provider), then you may be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:55:52 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 11:23:09 AM »
Thanks, Skuzzy, will do.

PC Specs

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 03:15:23 PM »
I have a question about interpreting the ping plot above.  Doesn't it show that the connection to AH was perfect (no loss and 60 ms response)?  Isn't it true that intermediate servers can be programmed to pass through, but not bother to respond to ping requests?  I was under the (possibly mistaken?) impression that loss along the way at some backbone server was not important because it might not care to respond by design?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 03:28:34 PM »
Yes, routers/switches may not show up correctly in Ping Plotter as makrked with 100% failure, but one does not know if that is the case or not until the ISP is contacted.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Sho0oterMcGavin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 05:07:12 PM »
opt online, as in optimun online (cablevision). i am also using their service, and i have 4+ hubs taht are getting 100% PL.

so i am also having problems with them, a service tech is coming to inspect my house tomorrow, which will more than likely yield 0 results, because 2 of my friends in my town, and a cousin, have same results from pingplotter.

its optimum, or its not.    (lol tv commercial)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 08:02:36 PM »
Update:

I just got off the phone with "Optimum".  They're going to "have a senior technician look into this."  I gave the frontline phone guy the URL to my PingPlotter trace.  From his reaction when he pointed his browser at it, I'd guess that's not something he sees every day. ;) 

I re-ran the trace, with very similar results.  Still don't know if it's really an issue, or just some routers/switches/servers that ignore ping. 

Stay tuned...

PC Specs