Author Topic: Aces High 2 Vs WW2 Online Vs IL2.  (Read 8611 times)

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
Re: Aces High 2 Vs WW2 Online Vs IL2.
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2009, 04:40:37 PM »
Ok I am looking for a first person shooter game with combined air and ground. I really enjoy AH2 but I would like to get back into first person shooter. I been hearing that WWII is not FPS, however it looks like it is can someone explain that for me. Thanks <S>.
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2009, 04:49:27 PM »
Ok I am looking for a first person shooter game with combined air and ground. I really enjoy AH2 but I would like to get back into first person shooter. I been hearing that WWII is not FPS, however it looks like it is can someone explain that for me. Thanks <S>.
Last I played (years ago) it was FPS, far as I know it still is.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2009, 04:59:12 PM »
if you like multiplayer groundwar - ww2online is the game

if you like to fly .... go for another sim
They have one thing I like though - the icon system for planes- not the gps-like icons we have in other sims with exact distances and plane types - you see if a con is closing or going away.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2009, 05:27:11 PM »
hi kazaa

i tried il2 and wwol

well at ww ol the FM is not the best, you dont feel the E, and it feels stiff to me
the strongest drawback of the IL2 series is, there is no dedicated server. the online server are private driven, if you going to shot the server admin, you might be kicked off the server. that was my experience  :rolleyes:

so wait for the update, and be happy  :)

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2009, 06:12:42 PM »
Just a nit pick.  We don't leave them out. They pull back in, so there's no performance advantage.  Only a cut down on micromanagement distractions from the real substance of dogfighting: the tactical storyline.

Yeah, but they stay out right until your speed gets high enough to put them away with no consequences. Thus they are even somewhat useful as divebrakes. This is distinct from how I use flaps when playing Il2, where I am very conscious of the possibility they will get jammed and end up not using them as much.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:16:50 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2009, 04:42:47 AM »
I think it is much closer to what the Airwar must have been in WW2. The plane-icon-system in WW2OL helps to create this immersion, all planes just show up as grey icons at long distances and only turn red or green at pretty close distances.

There is no such thing as 'long distances' in ww2ol, it's like flying in a goldfish bowl full of pea soup.

Offline jam83

• Zinc Member
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2009, 08:30:08 AM »
try blackshark its not ww2 but its fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZjSI021j-c
Rain is God's way of giving hippies showers

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2009, 09:09:28 AM »
Hello guys,

I've been really busy and haven't had the chance to check the board until now, just reading the whole topic now. :x

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2009, 01:19:54 PM »
One thing to keep in mind, IL2 was being created in the late nineties and was originally released in 2001. about the same time as TrackIR 1.x... 6DOF did not exist until TIR 3.0.  About the time Pacific Fighters (IL2 "3.0") was being released many people were using TrackIR in flight sims and obviously wanted 6DOF in IL2.  This would have required a complete re-write as the original game was written with basically 2D cockpits with some 3D elements to give the illusion of 3D.  While the modding community has injected a lot of life into IL2 it has basically been a dead horse since 2006.
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2009, 02:24:58 PM »
I stand corrected then.. But it's still a bad decision. That view system is more important than milking the franchise for cash with endless add ons.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2009, 02:36:41 PM »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2009, 07:07:17 PM »
I prefer AH2.

HiTech

HiTech,

May I ask what you "like about" IL2/WWOL. :t

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2009, 11:52:12 AM »
Good review Kweassa, I agree 100%. A couple of additional comments:

6DOF: As you may know, there are many community-made mods (sounds, aircraft, maps, feature improvements, etc) available for IL2. The online standard mod pack includes 6DOF. Many online servers have the mod pack as a requirement.  I agree that the IL2 plain vanilla view system is very limited compared to the view system in AH2, which imho is the best in the market.

Gunnery/damage model:  AH2's damage model is simplified - each structure has a hit point limit. When the limit is exceeded, the structure fails. Up until that the structure works like new. In IL2 you have various stages of incremental damage. One machine gun bullet hit may cause your wing to drag, which in most cases forces you to disengage. In IL2, the different types on ammunition in your ammo-belt make a big difference. In my opinion, the gunnery/damage model is far superior in IL2.

Multiplayer coop: IL2's strength are the multiplayer coop missions, specifically online campaigns.  Our squad has been flying these types of events for about 4 years now, 1-3 times a week, every week. We average about 20 players each time. Out of the box, 32 players are supported, in addition to an unlimited amount of AI planes/vehicles (only limited by cpu power, really). With the mod, 64 live players in a coop are supported, in addition to the AI's. "Dogfight" servers, without AI planes/vehicles, support 128 players out of the box. If you want a dogfight style server, in most cases AH still wins that battle. But with a good group of friends and squaddies, the IL2 online campaigns give the best online simming experiences I've ever had. Possibly with the exception of the best AH scenarios. But we dont get to play those every week.  ;)

Camo
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:54:41 AM by LLv34_Camouflage »
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2009, 01:56:22 PM »
You left out the physics.
Hello ant