Author Topic: Text buffer font size question -AND- USB microphones are bad news?  (Read 511 times)

Offline Dream Child

• Copper Member
OK, so just got a new widescreen monitor, with built in USB camera and microphones. I change the resolution to match, and pick widescreen format. And it looks good, BTW.

All is well until I go flying and try to use VOX, then I freeze/warp every time I release the transmit button. I'm sure anyone fighting me enjoyed the warp on command feature, though it took me a while to figure out what was causing it. I figure out that the camera/microphone software changed my default microphone to the one on the monitor, and the USB microphone causes my system to momentarily hang every time I use it, the net status graph confirming my diagnosis. Changing it back to my normal microphone input solved that issue.

So what does this have to do with the text buffer font size? Well, I can't seem to find the setting that changes the font size in the text buffer. My text buffer is now huge compared to before, though it appears to take up the same percentage wise. The font setting in the Preferences/GUI changes the icon text size, but not the text buffer size. Anyone know where the text buffer setting is, or if it can be changed?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Text buffer font size question -AND- USB microphones are bad news?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 08:10:39 PM »
The text buffer font size is dynamically calculated.  However, there is a deficiency in the current implementation having to do with the aspect ratio of the monitor.  It is on the list of things to correct in the game.

The hanging of the USB microphone is probably due to the amount of CPU time required to encode the voice transmission.  USB mics use 100% of the CPU in order to encode.  A PCI based sound card based microphone does not.

If your computer has multiple sound devices, then that also incurs quite a bit more overhead as well.  Windows has never been very good about handling multiple sound cards.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:13:59 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com