Author Topic: AFK Tower!  (Read 2194 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
AFK Tower!
« on: June 17, 2009, 02:26:02 PM »
I'm trying to understand the downside of putting an inactivity timer into the game to kick players who have been sitting in the tower for an hour or so.  I did a search and checked out an older thread and was looking for reasons why it's a bad idea to kick players for inactivity.

Jarbo your asking HTC to tick off its own customers. You REALLY think they are going to want to do that?

So what I'm wondering is, who would be upset if they got kicked due to inactivity and for what reasons would it upset you as a customer? 

Isn't it a little insecure of HTC to think that if they kick off players regardless of the reason, there's a chance they are going to cancel their subscriptions?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: AFK Tower!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »
In virtually all MMO's, if a player is inactive for a set period of time they are logged off automatically from the game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 02:37:45 PM »

I'm trying to understand the downside of putting an inactivity timer into the game to kick players who have been sitting in the tower for an hour or so.  I did a search and checked out an older thread and was looking for reasons why it's a bad idea to kick players for inactivity.

So what I'm wondering is, who would be upset if they got kicked due to inactivity and for what reasons would it upset you as a customer? 

Isn't it a little insecure of HTC to think that if they kick off players regardless of the reason, there's a chance they are going to cancel their subscriptions?

I would actually like that. Sometimes I'll get side tracked and sit down to watch a little late night "Family Guy" only to wake up hours later to find the game still running. My computer would power down normally, but with AH running it just eats up energy. I know it's my fault I left it on, but if I got booted it wouldn't bother me at all. It really isn't too hard to just log back in.
Lagger

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 02:39:35 PM »
It would not tick me off per se, but it does sound like a bit of a pain.  Having to relog, the potential that I may not make it back into the arena to take advantage of the small me time that I do get between family & work.  It is not unusual to step away for a half an hour or so.  Why?  Try a four year old daughter on for size. :x
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline John Curnutte

• Nickel Member
      • Precisionsquad.org
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 02:40:42 PM »
 People would then open up space in LWOrange where its often difficult to log on , seems like an idea to me . If you want back on just log in again and be happy about it .
                    Nutte
Don't be afraid to put it out there , if it gets cut off it'll grow back
On your mark , Get set , go away !

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 02:43:31 PM »
Grizz it's funny you bring this up. I was just wondering the same thing yesterday. I am guilty of going afk for hours on end at times. I do regonize that fact that it isn't really fair for someone trying to log in and fly (and actually be active). I'd be all for it.

AKAK is right, many other games do the same thing.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 02:48:53 PM »
I go afk quite a bit and do stuff around the house, but the people that are advocating this change aren't interested in saving HTC money or bandwith. Those individuals are only asking for this change because it affects the way they want to play AH and they don't want to fly a plane with lower ENY or switch countries.

Unless someone can put forward concrete numbers, I think it is safe to assume the 'afk crowd' is roughly consistent between countries and cancel each other out.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »
Those individuals are only asking for this change because it affects the way they want to play AH and they don't want to fly a plane with lower ENY or switch countries.

I am not sure what Grizz's motivation for the post is, but I must say that the Muppets are not known for their attraction to the higher populated country or their attraction to low ENY rides.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »
It wouldn't bother me to get kicked for long periods of afk. Whenever I log on, I spend a tremendous amount of time afk... usually in very short spans though.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 02:54:07 PM »
Admittedly, I didn't read Grizz's post completely.

Except for this flights in the Ta152, I never see him in anything less than 20 eny. I'm not sure why he really cares one way or the other.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 02:54:56 PM »
I go afk quite a bit and do stuff around the house, but the people that are advocating this change aren't interested in saving HTC money or bandwith. Those individuals are only asking for this change because it affects the way they want to play AH and they don't want to fly a plane with lower ENY or switch countries.

Unless someone can put forward concrete numbers, I think it is safe to assume the 'afk crowd' is roughly consistent between countries and cancel each other out.

I don't really care about the Eny stuff and I don't think that the afk crowd affects the way I play the game much.  It's kind of like leaving a light on in the house when you aren't home.  Is it going to cost you a lot of money in energy bill or light bulbs for all that wasted use?  No, but you still turn the light off.  Same thing, it would help keep the flow of players running slightly more efficiently, in particular through the primetime hours.  As the game grows, imo an inactivity timer will have to be implemented eventually...

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 03:12:46 PM »
I see no downside to a time limit either.. It wouldn't effect me, so im not overly concerned either way, that said if someone has sat inactive literally doing NOTHING for over an hour, I doubt they would care either, considering they probably forgot they were even logged in.  I mean I leave the keyboard periodically, but usually im flying when I do so, (2 min to get a drink or something)  I cant fathom staying logged in, minimizing the game, and not coming back to it for over an hour...   

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 03:42:38 PM »
I fly a 20 ENY plane so ENY doesn't usually effect me, but they could set it up to where when your AFK and after so many minutes it puts your name in the Red AFK state and once there your no longer affecting the ENY. And when you return to up a plane or GV you must uncheck the AFK box before your allowed to play again.
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 03:52:44 PM »
In virtually all MMO's, if a player is inactive for a set period of time they are logged off automatically from the game.

ack-ack

And of the ones I played if I wished to stay in with out getting a time out I could.

HiTech

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 04:01:58 PM »
And of the ones I played if I wished to stay in with out getting a time out I could.

HiTech

Not being combative, just curious, but it really bothered you that you got logged off from the server when you were gone for a long time?  I suppose the most annoying part would be logging back in, but that's not that bad...
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D