Author Topic: Requesting a little bit of help.  (Read 418 times)

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
Requesting a little bit of help.
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:14:35 AM »
So, I was trying to validate something that I had heard earlier, and I personally couldn't find anything, but I was wondering if you guys knew of it and could point me towards some proof...

I had been told that after the initial raids on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, that the 2 P-40Bs upped by Welch and Taylor would run "patrols" over the sea, and were able to sink a few small Japanese ships using 100lb bombs, which they recieved much "taunting" for before because, "You can't sink a ship with 100lb bombs!"

Thanks!
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
Re: Requesting a little bit of help.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »
I never heard that before. IIRC the Japanese task force was well out to see and I highly doubt that 2 p-40b's with 100lbs bombs would have A) found the task force B) successfully dodged the Japanese CAP C) would have been able to sink a Japanese warship with just a 100lbs bomb (or 2 for that matter)

Now they might have spotted a local Japanese fishing boat and bombed THAT.

Besides IF they had found the Japanese Task Force I things after pearl would have gone a little differently, since at that time we didn't know where their ships were. If we had we would have launched a counter attack atleast once our carriers had returned and with whatever A/C were left flyable after the raid. I could be wrong and it might not have been the most prudent course of action BUT, at the time we were all hell bent on revenge for the attack on Pearl and Halsey was one who would have gone hell bent on the offensive IMNSHO but thats a whole other discussion
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 03:44:11 PM »
Dont think it implies warship......

Having said that a LVT, small troop carrier, ordnance ships could easily be taken out. Nevermind the golden bb....

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 08:56:40 PM »
I don't know if it is true, but you could take out a warship with a 100lbs bomb, just depends if it hits the right spot.
OEF 11-12

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
     I think you're thinking of the Marine F4F pilots on Wake Island.  They did
strafe and sink a japanese destroyer with 100 lb bombs.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 12:45:08 AM »
So, I was trying to validate something that I had heard earlier, and I personally couldn't find anything, but I was wondering if you guys knew of it and could point me towards some proof...

I had been told that after the initial raids on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, that the 2 P-40Bs upped by Welch and Taylor would run "patrols" over the sea, and were able to sink a few small Japanese ships using 100lb bombs, which they recieved much "taunting" for before because, "You can't sink a ship with 100lb bombs!"

Thanks!

I think Rino is correct.  Welch and Taylor didn't drop any bombs.  Taylor was wounded on his second flight of the day.  Welch got up for another sortie but saw nothing.  Both were part of the 15th FG that managed 14 sorties, flown by 11 pilots, meaning that Welch had 3 and Taylor 2 total.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 12:56:02 AM »

Thanks!

Buy "Given Up for Dead" by Bill Sloan.   Those defenders never taunted those pilots, who had 14 sorties between them and returned every time with no ammo.    The VMF-211's mechanics salvaged parts from the destroyed planes, to keep those F4F's flying.   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:10:48 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 01:38:00 AM »
maybe someone found deleted scenes of Pearl Harbor movie .  :D
I am a spy!

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 09:15:50 PM »
     I think you're thinking of the Marine F4F pilots on Wake Island.  They did
strafe and sink a japanese destroyer with 100 lb bombs.

Found this after a quick search of VMF-211 at Wake Island:

A pre-war view of the destroyer Kisaragi, sunk as the result of damage inflicted by two 100-pound bombs dripped by Capt Henry T. Elrod on the morning of 11 December 1941. Out of the crew of 167 men, not one sailor survived.
---------------------------
Naval Historical Center Photo NH 3065
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:18:27 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 12:31:54 AM »
Wiki "98 Rock" on Wake Island.   The defenders were grossly outnumbered and actually had started to turn the tables when Devereoux surrendered.   

Civilians fighting along side USMC and USN in combat.  All civilians were massacred after helping rebuild the island.   "Remember Wake!"   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 12:39:51 AM »
then Captain Henry T. Elrod's F4F-3 after sinking the Kisragi.

On December 12, he single-handedly attacked a flight of 22 enemy planes and shot down two. He executed several low-altitude bombing and strafing runs on enemy ships; during one of these attacks, he became the first man to sink a warship, the Japanese destroyer Kisaragi, with small caliber bombs delivered from a fighter aircraft.

When all the U.S. aircraft had been destroyed by hostile fire, he organized remaining troops into a beach defense unit which repulsed repeated Japanese attacks. On December 23, 1941, Captain Elrod was mortally wounded while protecting his men who were carrying ammunition to a gun emplacement.

He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor on actions from Dec. 9th and 12th.   

The main road leading in to the Marine Corps Officer Candidate School is named after Elrod.  The U.S. Navy Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate, USS Elrod, is named in his honor.  A street within the Marine Corps Air Station, Miramar, California, at San Diego, is named after Elrod.

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC