Author Topic: Hi !  (Read 762 times)

Offline vipe

• Zinc Member
Hi !
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »
Hey, Im new here. just started flying 3 days ago, glad to say I have 4 kills under my belt :). I was wondering if I could ask the people who have the Saitek Rudder pedals/ X52 PRO. Do these work well in AH? I plan on buying mine in a couple days and just wanted to know if the rudder pedals make all the difference instead of have to use the twisty joystick. Im currently using the logitech extreme 3D pro which I like because of the tension in the stick. Does the X52 pro have similar tension?
Thanks in advance.

I was also wondering if anyone uses the TrackIR and TrackPRO equipment? If so, does it work well with 1 monitor? It seems if you were using 1 monitor and turned your head you would have to turn your head while keeping your eyes on the screen. (might strain my eyes too much) anyways, great game and thanks for taking the time to read my post. happy hunting.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hi !
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 11:00:57 AM »
Hey, Im new here. just started flying 3 days ago, glad to say I have 4 kills under my belt :). I was wondering if I could ask the people who have the Saitek Rudder pedals/ X52 PRO. Do these work well in AH? I plan on buying mine in a couple days and just wanted to know if the rudder pedals make all the difference instead of have to use the twisty joystick. Im currently using the logitech extreme 3D pro which I like because of the tension in the stick. Does the X52 pro have similar tension?
I use an X52 and CH rudder pedals. I also know people that use saitek pedals. IMO the X52 is a great stick, it has reliability issues though. Pedals make a huge difference. Like with any change, they're difficult to use at first but they really open up some doors.

I also use TrackIR. It's great. I have a single 22" monitor. The way TIR works, you turn your head a little bit and the program scales the input and your head turns a lot in game, so you can keep your eyes on the monitor. TIR really adds to immersion and IMO it helps with SA.

Offline vipe

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 11:21:40 AM »
I use an X52 and CH rudder pedals. I also know people that use saitek pedals. IMO the X52 is a great stick, it has reliability issues though. Pedals make a huge difference. Like with any change, they're difficult to use at first but they really open up some doors.

I also use TrackIR. It's great. I have a single 22" monitor. The way TIR works, you turn your head a little bit and the program scales the input and your head turns a lot in game, so you can keep your eyes on the monitor. TIR really adds to immersion and IMO it helps with SA.

Excellent thank you! So the TrackIR, does it have any issues with determining back right up instead of back right etc?

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
Nope, it works flawlessly. It senses when you look up/down, left/right, when you move your head up/down, left/right, forward/back, and when you tilt your head either way.

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 01:34:34 PM »
Excellent thank you! So the TrackIR, does it have any issues with determining back right up instead of back right etc?

with trackir you have to manipulate your head to work with the hardware. normal head movements don't translate to exactly what you what.
think of it this way. your heads yaw, pitch, and up/down, left/right movements basically start at one focal point... your neck, and it's hard to isolate a specific axis without unintentionally moving another.
i personally only enable yaw, pitch, and zoom on my trackir to have a more steady view, but that does have it's disadvantages.

if you are comfortable with a hat switch there is no reason why you couldn't have just as good or even better situational awareness over trackir.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:36:47 PM by stran »
Squash

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 02:48:13 PM »
I've been using a set of Saitek pedals for over a year now.   I like them.  For me the CH pedals seem too close together and don't feel right.  The Saitek pedals are spread a little wider and feel better to me.

No doubt the CH pedals are made better, but that said, after a year of pretty hard use my Saitek pedals have been trouble free.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline vipe

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 03:04:14 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

I had a quick question, can you snap roll in AH to lose energy?

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 03:58:49 PM »
I had a quick question, can you snap roll in AH to lose energy?

Yup
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 04:36:37 PM »
... just wanted to know if the rudder pedals make all the difference instead of have to use the twisty joystick.

I dont know about the rudder pedals yet myself... my wife is still having a hard time adjusting to my headset and me talking to people while I am playing... so i will have to sneak my upgrades in on her  :rofl

But... I just went from a fixed stick to a twisty stick and it has made a WORLD of difference.  Had to learn to fly all over again though... some would say I am STILL learning  :O

But I think the Track IR is next on my list...

***G3-MF***

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 05:29:23 PM »
I never used a twisty stick, but many do.  I have the whole CH setup - FighterStick, ProThrottle and ProPedals.  From what I hear, it takes getting used to the twisty stick's tendency to have rudder inputs when you don't want, especially if you're a bit ham-fisted on the stick and twist it by mistake.

Rudder pedals are more natural (at least for me) but some people take time to get the hang of 'em.  Personally, I can't see how you'd fly without some kind of analog rudder input.

I also have the TrackIR Pro and find it much easier to keep my SA and track my prey. But I generally don't use it while in a GV - only while flying.  My profile is a bit aggressive, so I don't have to turn my head much to get a full high (or low) six view.  On my 24" widescreen, I sit about three feet from it, and I only need to point my nose at the edge of the monitor to have my game head all the way backwards.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline vipe

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
I never used a twisty stick, but many do.  I have the whole CH setup - FighterStick, ProThrottle and ProPedals.  From what I hear, it takes getting used to the twisty stick's tendency to have rudder inputs when you don't want, especially if you're a bit ham-fisted on the stick and twist it by mistake.

Rudder pedals are more natural (at least for me) but some people take time to get the hang of 'em.  Personally, I can't see how you'd fly without some kind of analog rudder input.

I also have the TrackIR Pro and find it much easier to keep my SA and track my prey. But I generally don't use it while in a GV - only while flying.  My profile is a bit aggressive, so I don't have to turn my head much to get a full high (or low) six view.  On my 24" widescreen, I sit about three feet from it, and I only need to point my nose at the edge of the monitor to have my game head all the way backwards.

Thx for the input, i think im gonna go with the saitek rudders/x52 pro and the trackIR i think the trackir will leave my hands more free to deal with other stuff aside from trying to look around, although i will use both to look. thx for the advice.

Offline smedddd

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 05:22:15 AM »
I went from a logitech 3d xtreme to a X52. You will find the spring tension much lighter on the X52.

<S>, LTARjink

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 06:56:09 AM »
I went from a logitech 3d xtreme to a X52. You will find the spring tension much lighter on the X52.

<S>, LTARjink
You can cut out a plastic shim and place it on top of the spring, this will remove some of that loose feeling if it bothers you. Recommend you pick up a powered USB while you are getting your stick, X52 uses a lot of power for a joystick. Welcome and have fun.
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 06:56:53 AM »
Thanks in advance.
That was my set up for a couple of years and I still miss it in some ways. But the qualitiy just ain't there. I still have the saitek rudder pedals but 1 brake pedal gave out 6 months ago. So CH will be my next set. Saitek loses calibration more often the older they get. If you have the money 300-500 bucks , and want to really get into the game for awhile I'd suggest CH products.
Lighten up Francis