Author Topic: Recommened Flight Pedals?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Recommened Flight Pedals?
« on: June 20, 2009, 11:11:28 PM »
What do you recommened as a good Flight pedal? I got a CH Pedal in Janurary, but they no longer work correctly anymore. I'm looking for a Flight Pedal that will not break in just 5 months, easy to use, and possibly cheap (but if they're expensive, then I'll buy them).

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Recommened Flight Pedals?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 11:30:51 PM »
If they just broke in January, call CH and they will fix them for nothing.

I've never heard of CH pedals breaking, except for the toe brake wire. Either way, no point in buying a new set when they will fix it.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:13:46 AM »
I got the pedals in Janurary, the no longer work today (June). Nothing is broken off of it, it just dosen't work in-game anymore. I'd be flying around normal, and then I'd notice I'm starting to slid right. I look back and I'm flying with full right rudder, and I'm not even touching the pedals (in fact my feet aren't even on the pedals). I figure it needs calibrating, so I do a quick calibrate. Fine for about 2 minutes before the problem occurs again, but this time it's full left rudder. This goes on through each sortie, rudder left, rudder right, and even sometimes I get no rudder responce whatsoever. Just today I got into a fight with Mensa (maybe Shuffler or Fringe, they were flying around causing chaos too  ;) ). I knew I had more E, so I went vertical and waited for him to stall. About 1000 off me he stalled, so I tried to kicked my rudder left so I could come down on him to try and get a shot in. However, my rudder seems to have stopped working, and no matter which way I turn my rudder pedals I get no response. So I had to wait till I stalled out, and by that time my window of opportunity was gone. He ended up shooting me down, but I may have gotten a lucky shot if my rudder worked for me.

Anyways. I've re-calibrated it many times over (ingame and desktop), tried unplugging it then plugging it back in then calibrate, tried other USB ports, etc etc. Anything that could possibly be wrong, I've checked. I think that the pedals are just worn out too much. I kinda do beat on them a bit more than I should (but who doesn't jam full rudder when they notice a niki 800 off their six?  :D )

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 02:21:16 AM »
What Delirium said.  You just can't beat CH, MADE IN THE USA, peddles.

I have had the fighter stick, pro throttle, & peddles for almost 2 1/2 years and I have had no problems.

^ I made this in photoshop when these things were popular :)
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 02:26:06 AM »
In the meantime, you can set one of your toggle switches or any HOTAS to a rudder.

I used the ""mouse button"" on my CH throttle for this when I was saving money for the peddles.  :D

Offline rob53

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 03:11:42 AM »
Latrobe,

I had the same problem with CH pedals.  CH had me send them in, they replaced the power cord.  They said that everything else was working properly.  Well, after a short period of time, I had the same problem again.  Threw em away, ordered another set of CH ped's.......SAME darn problem.  I could calibrate them, and they would work great for a few sorties, then one side or the other would go out of calibration.  Called CH again, advised them of the problem and was told to send them in.  UGH....forget it, threw em in a box and promptly ordered a set of Saitek pedals.  The Saitek's have performed flawlessly for me.  They also feel alot more comfortable, they are adjustable and are solid.  I am more than happy with the Saitek's.

On the other hand, my CH stick has been flawless for many years...........

Rob 
rob53
The Flying Circus

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 04:18:56 AM »
CH peds here,  have been faultless for nearly 2 years of usage.  Haven't had to re-calibrate once.

Guess you boys got unlucky.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 07:34:44 AM »
Do you have the CM Control Manager installed. That is what  you need to calibrate all CH products with. If you just use the windows calibrator you will probably have issues.

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 08:14:12 AM »
Saitek Pedals. I like them better than both sets of CH that I own.

Infidelz

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 08:28:52 AM »
I've had this set of CH pedals for over 3 years, and the ones before that for over 7, never any trouble with either of them. The only reason I bought the second pair was to switch to USB.

I don't KNOW that the CH software could be an issue as I've always used it for mine. I do KNOW that a powered USB is very important. If you have more than a couple of things plugged into your USB ports you could be starving them of power and you are seeing the trouble in the pedals. The other thing I would check is in the "device manager" in windows, be sure the USB ports are NOT set up for power saving. right click on the USB HUB headings, select properties, then power management. Un-check "allow computer to turn this off to save power"

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 10:40:38 AM »
I have Saitek's and they've worked group for over two years.  As Fugitive says though, a powered USB hub is pretty much essential to preclude problems.  As a second note, the Saitek's are wider and heavier than the CH versions and are adjustable.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 10:52:13 AM »
Been using Saitek pedals for a little over a year.  Only problem I have ever had was when my oldest dayghter was on the computer and thought the pedals would make a good foot rest.  Apparently she stepped on the right toe brake hard enough to cause a gear to pop 1 tooth forward.

It would cause right braking all the time.  Drove me crazy until I finally broke down and took the right pedal apart and fixed it.  Took about ten minutes. 

Other then that, my Saitek pedals have worked great.

On a side note, when I bought my pedals, I chose the Saitek over the CH simply because they use a wider "stance" and feel more natural to me. 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 11:58:05 AM »
Latrobe,

I had the same problem with CH pedals.  CH had me send them in, they replaced the power cord.  They said that everything else was working properly.  Well, after a short period of time, I had the same problem again.  Threw em away, ordered another set of CH ped's.......SAME darn problem.  I could calibrate them, and they would work great for a few sorties, then one side or the other would go out of calibration.  Called CH again, advised them of the problem and was told to send them in.  UGH....forget it, threw em in a box and promptly ordered a set of Saitek pedals.  The Saitek's have performed flawlessly for me.  They also feel alot more comfortable, they are adjustable and are solid.  I am more than happy with the Saitek's.

On the other hand, my CH stick has been flawless for many years...........

Rob 

I had the same sort of problems with mine.  Sent them in a couple of times to get fixed, but they kept doing it.  I bought a set of Saitek pedals, and liked them because they were wider and had adjustable tension compared to the CH ones.  The only problems with the Saiteks were that I got an early set , and they had a problem with jumping out of the tracks, but after Saitek sent the "do it yourself" fix-it kit, they have problem free for the least few years.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »
What Delirium said.  You just can't beat CH, MADE IN THE USA, peddles.

Yes you can. SIMPED pedals, made in Germany :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 09:13:59 PM »

Yes you can. SIMPED pedals, made in Germany :)

LOL! :)