• Plutonium Member
Arma 2
« on: June 21, 2009, 07:17:18 PM »
is infuriating.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Re: Arma 2
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 07:34:02 PM »
That is the most descriptive comment ever.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:15:33 PM »
elaborate please swoop cos I was gonna buy it.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
Bought the retail version, not via steam, came as v1.01.  Everything looked pretty good, good framerates, etc.  AI little....um....sharp but gameplay otherwise ok.

patch 1.02, released yesterday, has calmed down the supershot abilities of the AI and fixed some campaign bugs, however, now my graphics are messed up.  High LOD textures for an object get loaded on a random rotating wossname, I can be stood next to something looking at it and 30 seconds later the hi res texture gets loaded.  Look away, look back and it's low res again.

Distance seems to make no difference either, I can look at a tree in the middle distance and it'll be hi res, but the tree next to me will be low res and looking like it's a water colour painting.

Every time I make a change to the graphics setup the blur effect gets stuck on. 

People on the official forums are all stupid.

No info available anywhere else.

And to go back to v1.01 I've gotta reinstall the game.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:50:44 PM »
And on the good side......

Some of these missions are brilliant, really free form, much more so than the previous two games.....which were lauded for being extremely free form and able to be played so many ways, enhancing the re-playability.  The campaign of Arma 2 is gonna get played again and again, whereas the previous 2 games were all about the mission editor for me.

Sound is so much better than in Arma 1 it's just a revelation.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 09:35:24 PM »
Arma 1 wasn't worth the money.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 11:03:15 PM »
Cheers swoop - I'll still buy it then. They've always been a bit funny for the first few versions on their games.  I thought OFP was pretty freeform.

One of my best experiences was in the OFP mission where you were on your own and had to make to one side of the island for extraction. I was coming to the edge of a forest to a large open field, and there was a dense morning fog. I lay down by some cover to check my map and heard something coming towards me. Out of the fog silhouettes of an enemy patrol emerged, then slowly melted into the fog again.... it was fluff'n awesome :)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 06:20:33 AM »
Yes Vulcan, that moment in OFP caught my imagination too. I was actually almost scared. I actually felt like I was there in that wood on my own. Another moment in OFP was during an early mission when I was part of an assault on a building with some enemy around. We ran, there was some shooting somewhere. We arrived and it was all over the enemy were dead. I never fired a shot or even saw an enemy. That struck me as being quite realistic. Like being a rookie soldier in his first combat. That kind of thing  hooked me on the game. I have ARMA too. They have their flaws though. It's hard to find decent cover and the enemy always seems to get a shot on you once they see you. Also tanks and vehicles don't seem to have any trouble spotting you. Whereas in real life a buttoned up armoured vehicle has lots of blind spots.

But I'll also buy ARMA 2 hoping for improvement.

What I always like about both games is the sense of being somewhere almost real. The bees or flies buzzing around and the weather changing. I remember in OFB having to leave a game running. When I came back I was surprised to see that it had got dark and was raining. One thing I would like to see is being able to interact more with the other characters both friendly and enemy. They always seemed a bit autistic to me.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 06:35:47 AM »
How are the ballistics and penetration physics?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 10:55:36 AM »
Dunno, I haven't fought in any armoured vehicles yet.....or even fired an AT weapon at anything.  The single player campaign is very infantry intensive.  Small unit operations.

As for the ambient life......now there's dogs, sheep, cattle, rabbits.....and reports on forums of a very hard to find yeti.

Oh and gameplay improvement over Arma:  You can now drag and / or pick up and carry a wounded soldier.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 01:48:33 PM »
Yeah I meant the infantry weapons' ballistics. :)  Does it model materials penetration, ricochets, etc?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 02:32:34 PM »
Did you not play ArmA1 moot? As far asI know, they model balistics quite accurately. Even if not perfectly, thats what the mods are for.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline CraneMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 02:40:54 PM »
You guys ever play Battlefield 2??
VF-6 Fighter Squadron            
       Fighting Six
     ~CraneMan~           

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 03:32:28 PM »
Craneman, please do not post about poncey, low realism arcade games in this thread again.

;)  :aok

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 03:33:55 PM »
Arma 1 wasn't worth the money.

I bought Armed Assault 1 being a big fan of Operation Flashpoint, I had a couple issues with the retail/vanilla version of the game.  I started playing with some of the mods/tweaks I found on this thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=71981

and it totally transformed the game and to me made it a lot more enjoyable, I didn't try all of the mods, but picked a handful that I thought would be nice and in almost every case it made what I would consider an improvement, especially the ACE mod.

Can't wait for Armed Assault 2, was planning on buying through Steam.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.