Author Topic: B-25H Loadout  (Read 7626 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: B-25H Loadout
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2009, 12:02:48 AM »
Is it me, or is that a black paint-job on that PBJ-1???   :cool:

May need to let Greebo or one of the other skinners know?
Don't know if that one is black based off the link Baumer posted I would have to go with a dark blue colour? How ever I have already given an all black B-25-C & the pictures of it are in colour to a skinner already. :aok

You might want to remind him in the skins forum of it's desire to be included in AHII.  Oh & it's not Greebo.  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:21:56 AM by lyric1 »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2009, 01:32:51 AM »
Yes they were :aok Sadly it looks as if they only were used in combat on some D & J model 25's with this marine unit. I don't know if they would be accepted on our C version with no radar blister on the nose. :frown:. So at best guess we will never see them.

Thats a J model 25 in that image.  Top turret removed.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2009, 01:50:25 AM »
That's a J model 25 in that image.  Top turret removed.
No it is a D model the give away is the blister on top I think it is for an antenna of some sort. All J'S & H'S had it mounted on the bottom of the aircraft all C,D,& G'S had that blister mounted on the top.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2009, 07:57:08 AM »
No it is a D model the give away is the blister on top I think it is for an antenna of some sort. All J'S & H'S had it mounted on the bottom of the aircraft all C,D,& G'S had that blister mounted on the top.

PBJ-1H radar was wing-mounted.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2009, 09:04:34 AM »
PBJ-1H radar was wing-mounted.
Yes you are correct but I am talking about this the radio compass loop antenna as shown on this B-25h. I should have described it better last night than I did.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2009, 12:09:46 PM »
Hey guys, didn't some B-25's fly off a carrier and bomb japan once? If so then we should be able to fly the B-25C off a carrier for 100 perks, once every 3 months, for a day.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2009, 12:11:30 PM »
Hey guys, didn't some B-25's fly off a carrier and bomb japan once? If so then we should be able to fly the B-25C off a carrier for 100 perks, once every 3 months, for a day.

NO
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2009, 12:28:54 PM »
I was joking. I know it will never happen. Just wanted to post that, sorry.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2009, 01:29:40 PM »
Lyric,

Guppy is correct that is a PBJ-1J, the scarf ring for the upper turret is clearly visible.

The B-25D were built in Kansas City, there were no major differences between the Inglewood California built B-25C and the D model.

Yes Stoney the VMB-612 B-25's were painted black. Both VMB-611 and VMB-612 were trained and fitted to be night interdiction units. However, VMB-611 wound up performing primarily day light attack, due to the lack of targets in their original deployment area and retained the 2 tone paint.

I will provide a detailed post later this evening to explain the various differences between the different "blocks" and models. It gets rather involved due to the Navy receiving PBJ-1D's late in the production run. The location of the "DF" loop is not an indicator that can be relied on when it comes to B-25 recognition. 

In addition I believe only the PBJ-1J was modified to carry the "Tiny Tim" see the following link;
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher2/b25_19.html
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »
Lyric,

Guppy is correct that is a PBJ-1J, the scarf ring for the upper turret is clearly visible.

The B-25D were built in Kansas City, there were no major differences between the Inglewood California built B-25C and the D model.

Yes Stoney the VMB-612 B-25's were painted black. Both VMB-611 and VMB-612 were trained and fitted to be night interdiction units. However, VMB-611 wound up performing primarily day light attack, due to the lack of targets in their original deployment area and retained the 2 tone paint.

I will provide a detailed post later this evening to explain the various differences between the different "blocks" and models. It gets rather involved due to the Navy receiving PBJ-1D's late in the production run. The location of the "DF" loop is not an indicator that can be relied on when it comes to B-25 recognition. 

In addition I believe only the PBJ-1J was modified to carry the "Tiny Tim" see the following link;
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher2/b25_19.html

Found a profile of said plane that I dug up. First time that I have seen a J set up like that in regards to the DF loop. One great thing about these forums you learn something new all the time. I thought the scarf ring may have been for the navigators position bubble that is on C&D's this made me wonder as to why no side windows on this aircraft for said navigator & hence led me to dig around further.

Granted it is a profile & they can be inaccurate so I am not sure about the colour of this plane? So in regards to Stoney's point of being black is moot in regards to AHII since it is a J model.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2009, 12:54:59 AM »
Lyric,
Here's one that will have you pulling your hair out! Look at this photo and notice all the annomilies on this PBJ;

This is a B-25D-30-NC (PBJ-1D) of VMB-612

Note the following
  • NAA Factory tail gun
  • Removal of the top turret
  • Rocket Rails
  • Factory side windows and guns

I've been doing a lot of research on the Marine PBJ squadrons so that's why I got into all this.

Here's a photo that shows the difference between the "factory" B-25C/D tail gun on the left, and the Navy depot tail gun on the right.

:salute
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2009, 07:23:37 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me all the things they tried on the 25's. Going back to my previous post it makes sense they put that loop on top with the Tiny Tim's there. If they launched the rocket it could have swiped it clean off or the rocket blast would have melted it being plastic and all.

I don't know how those guys squeezed in on that rear gun it is awfully tight i took some pictures of a couple of locally owned 25'J's here in Urbana Ohio & there is not much room to move.

This one I reached up with my camera & shot it through what would have been the rear gun mount if it had any.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 07:28:40 AM by lyric1 »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2009, 09:50:24 PM »
Baum,

Great site thx for the links. :aok

I really like the squad jukebox,wish we has something like it in game.

:salute

Offline Mystery

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:40 PM »
What a great thread about my favorite plane in AH2.

I'll admit defeat on the torpedo issue (99% "no" is a "no" to me).

Re 8 x HVARs making the 25H overweight, couldn't that be compensated with by less fuel?

The bits of research I did indicated that some H's were fitted with up to 8x250 lb bombs in underwing mounts. Certainly this begs the weight question again. And no, I don't know if this was an improvised fitting.

AP rounds? Yes please!

ANIAPG-13A "Falcon" rangefinding radar? Yes please! While I couldn't find evidence (just the article reference in the link below) that it was used in combat it certainly was fitted to operational planes. Not many - maybe 10 - but being able to make hits on shipping out to 5000 yards would change the CV battle complexion. Perhaps as a huge perk to consume our unused bomber perks?

Link to ANIAPG-13A page:
http://www.riemarfamily.com/falcon%20in%20action.html

I'm not a fan of the "Changed ground vehicle damage scoring to greatly reduce the effect of tread damage in determining who gets credit for the kill" tweak in 2.16. I understand the reason for the change, will admit to tracking many GVs pre-2.16 and probably unjustifiably getting the kill credits....but in my thinking the change is a bit too radical. Tracking an armored vehicle and reducing its mobility is valuable, especially if it is the middle of a field. Could we consider dialing this back a little?

Again, great thread and great information presented.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:12:23 PM by Mystery »
No, no, no. That molecule is caffeine.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2009, 10:04:35 PM »
Personally, if the B-25 carried something in WWII that we don't have, then I want it.

This includes HVARs, AP shells, the 12x .50s in the nose, the top turret that could be locked forward to fire with the nose guns, the radar rangefinder thing, tiny tims, torpedos etc etc.  (And that weird bazooka thing I saw earlier in the thread, just to throw a little eccentricity into the mix :D)

So, in conclusion:

:x :airplane: :x :airplane: :x :airplane: :banana: :banana:
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ