Author Topic: 5 Inch Guns  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
Re: 5 Inch Guns
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »
I never said I got hit or shot down. I said they were aiming at me. And nope, I was in an La7 and one was a  P-51D, while the other two were suprisingly P-40B's :confused:. How did you guess that there were P-40B's?

Oh and we weren't dangerous to the ship because we weren't carrying bombs or couldn't. I forget which was which for each plane.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 01:02:52 PM »
... I said they were aiming at me. And nope, I was in an La7 and one was a  P-51D, ...

That is very possible.

I always aim for LA-7s.  Because I hate them.  I hate them to their very last rivet.  I will persecute them to no end.  I show no quarter to LA-7s.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 01:07:35 PM »
I always aim for LA-7s.  Because I hate them.  I hate them to their very last rivet.  I will persecute them to no end.  I show no quarter to LA-7s.

Don't hold back APDrone!  How do you really feel about LA-7's? :lol
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline CDR1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »
As a matter of interest, 5" proximity fuse were not entroduced until mid 42. so they should be disabled in EW as least.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 07:30:32 PM »
Next time you are near a carrier, just dogfight in a light bomber.  Unmanned puffy can't hit ya... for some reason... :confused:
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 07:53:08 PM »
For fun, I tell my wife its an 8inch gun
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline GREric

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 09:23:44 PM »
Lol 5" are heat seaking, magnetic HE and AP darn rounds. Hate them, to acurate.
Bishop MoM Coordinator, GrEric.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 11:30:49 PM »
Auto 5" ack seems to be 200 times more accurate when the CV is on the horizon from the target plane, but if you get very close to the CV then the ack just can't hit anything.

Manned ack depends on the player. I, for one, can hit most planes within icon range, and a few lucky kills outside icon range  :D .

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 06:45:50 AM »
For fun, I tell my wife its an 8inch gun

:rofl That comment should be nominated for the satirical garden shed award 2009 :lol :rofl
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 10:04:34 AM »
simple,  you dont want to die to manned 5", stay out of Icon range.  Any plane in icon range is considered a danger to CV
to me :) and ill fire on it.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 11:53:21 AM »
I don't know if the 5 inch is to accurate or not. We could ask the Japanese it seemed to work pretty well on them.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 01:14:47 PM »
I've made kills out of icon range on several occasions.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »
There is no accuracy needed when it comes to the 5 inchers ... the shells use proximity fuses ... THE SHELL DOES NOT HAVE TO DIRECTLY HIT THE TARGET ... the target just has to be within the range that triggers the fuse and the shrapnel will definitely ruin your day.

Manned twin 5 inch guns shooting at the firing rate that we have on the CV equals certain death for low level bombers or fighters.

Are you... you mean to tell me the 5 inchers in this game are modeled with radar proximity fuses? I.E, the weapons that completely changed the nature of ship-based AAA, multiplying it's lethality twentyfold?

Well, that explains a lot.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 01:06:02 AM »
Best reference online I've found about the proximity fuse is here:

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq96-1.htm#anchor1191195

Looks like it was deployed to the US fleet in May, 1944.

Also, here is how the 5" was aimed and operated.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12981080/1943-US-Navy-WWII-5-Inch-Gun-Operations-Manual-102p

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 01:44:55 AM »
Manned puffy is fairly annoying, although not nearly so annoying as auto puffy. Between 5 inch gunmen killing planes on the runway and hangars ending up shelled down, it is no wonder people drop the CVs as quickly as possible nowadays rather than using them using them for hours of furballing.

I had a novel idea awhile back. The we could approximate fused shells, using the throttle axis to set the explosive range. But of course the question is, do we want to simulate fused or proximity shells off our carrier? My answer: Yes.  ;) It would be a nifty compromise IMO if the shells could be made to function as fused when thrown at a clean aircraft but would function as a proxi shell if they came close to an aircraft bearing ord. This would put the puffy more in line with a use that promotes rather than hinders fun gameplay, namely protecting the CVs from deadly assaults while more or less leaving fighters to work it out themselves most of the time.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."