Author Topic: Opening merge  (Read 668 times)

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
Opening merge
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:27:51 AM »
Recently, when I am engaging a con, I have been noticing more and more head on shots that kill me, mostly because I fly big planes, and I am a terrible shot in the head on. Therefore, I have began merging, with a sort of lower barrel roll that turns into an Immelmann. Unfortunatly, I don't know if this is a "bad" method to use, as it brings me out higher than the con, but with less speed, while they are either running away because they didn't get the kill first, extending to get altitude on me for another head on, or pull into some crazy move that gats them at a co-e situation. I ask, "Is there a better method to avoid the head-on shot and pull into a nice cozy six position?"

Pictures or film of what I mean to come.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
Re: Opening merge
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:16:15 AM »
I startout with a high speed pass under them then loop up around into either a spiral climb toward them or an immelman like you said.

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 11:20:55 AM »
I try to offset the merge a bit by sliding to the right or left. Once I get into a distance where his guns could start ripping me apart I'll start heading vertical, usually with a lead turn into him. IE - If I'm viewing the merge offset to his left side, I roll slightly left and pull vertical on the merge. I try to whip around quickly in a pitch back (angled immelman), if he's running I dive a bit and try to catch him; if he's mirrored my merge I try for a second immelman to drag him higher. If you can pull off two immelmans and make the guy float, you can dispatch him quickly on the way down. Providing you have the speed and your plane has the ability to do so (P-38, Spitfire, 109 to name a few).

There are a few setups you can use for sure. But if you're up against a decent pilot who's not afraid to get into a fight - you'll have to improvise.  :salute

EDIT: Sorry, I ranted a bit. The point I was trying to make is try to create vertical and horizontal separation on the merge to avoid a HO.  :D
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 12:23:23 PM »
I startout with a high speed pass under them then loop up around into either a spiral climb toward them or an immelman like you said.

An example of a bad merge.

Recently, when I am engaging a con, I have been noticing more and more head on shots that kill me, mostly because I fly big planes, and I am a terrible shot in the head on. Therefore, I have began merging, with a sort of lower barrel roll that turns into an Immelmann. Unfortunatly, I don't know if this is a "bad" method to use, as it brings me out higher than the con, but with less speed, while they are either running away because they didn't get the kill first, extending to get altitude on me for another head on, or pull into some crazy move that gats them at a co-e situation. I ask, "Is there a better method to avoid the head-on shot and pull into a nice cozy six position?"

Pictures or film of what I mean to come.

For help on how to properly merge, you really should read these following articles that have been posted on Netaces.org

Mastering the Merge

Opening Moves

Lead Turns

Hope this helps some Enker.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »
This is a good example of how I try to set up a Merge, I always setup on one side and wait for him to commit and then cross his flight path making it almost impossible for the Ho shot, and if he try's it usually causes him to pull some sort of positive G shot which 9 out 10 times cost him the fight.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cdzezymzgm4
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline strong10

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 01:33:55 PM »
 :aok  Great merge Cajunn!  One of my fav's. That merge also works great for red guys with higher E states causing the overshoot if they try and turn into you. 

Enker, the barrel roll seems like it would get you out of being Ho'd. The disadvantages are that you are burning quite a bit of E through the roll and you lose sight of the con momentarily and may lose him for the few crucial seconds that you have to get the advantage. 

A trickier timing merge if you expect a HO from a faster plane is to pull hard up into an immelman around D600+/- where he would have a hard time pulling lead on you.

One that I have seen but haven't done is just when you think he will start to Ho shoot you is to push full down neg g's where he cant follow..this I think puts you in a disadvantaged position if the guy wasn't gonna Ho shoot you and pulls up on the merge to be quickly on your six.. But you shouldn't get Ho'd anyways on this merge.

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:52:51 PM »
:aok  Great merge Cajunn!  One of my fav's. That merge also works great for red guys with higher E states causing the overshoot if they try and turn into you. 

Enker, the barrel roll seems like it would get you out of being Ho'd. The disadvantages are that you are burning quite a bit of E through the roll and you lose sight of the con momentarily and may lose him for the few crucial seconds that you have to get the advantage. 

A trickier timing merge if you expect a HO from a faster plane is to pull hard up into an immelman around D600+/- where he would have a hard time pulling lead on you.

One that I have seen but haven't done is just when you think he will start to Ho shoot you is to push full down neg g's where he cant follow..this I think puts you in a disadvantaged position if the guy wasn't gonna Ho shoot you and pulls up on the merge to be quickly on your six.. But you shouldn't get Ho'd anyways on this merge.

Thank you sir....... :salute
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 03:06:12 PM »
I spent some time with mtnman last week in the TA working merges. I had read about merges on netaces years ago but I still usually lost the merge. Mtnman showed me what I was doin wrong and got me fixd up. Also showing differrent variations and counters. That one hour in TA made all the differnce in the world. Now I win more merges and know what to do when I don't. Now I'm winnin more 1v1s.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 03:16:30 PM »
The nose under and the barrel role are two of the better HO avoidance tactics.  The barrel role uses far less E (almost none if done properly) and sets you up for a reversal at any point through the roll.

The fact is that if you have to use either of these tactics you haven't set the merge up properly to begin with.  You need to have seperation prior to the merge.  That can be either horizontal or vertical.  The diving merge, most often used in the DA, allows you to build speed then convert that to altitude during your reversal.  It's a good high E merge but the problem comes if your opponent does the opposite and climbs, converting speed to alt while simultaneously improving his initial turn rate on you (and while you are worsening your own).  Horizontal seperation allows for better judgement and control of E states but bleeds E through the initial turn.

No matter what type of seperation you decide to use, being able to judge your and your opponent's E states and knowing the capabilities of both planes will be the most critical factors.

I'd suggest you read the links Ack Ack posted then go into the TA and practice.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 03:25:01 PM »
I spent some time with mtnman last week in the TA working merges. I had read about merges on netaces years ago but I still usually lost the merge. Mtnman showed me what I was doin wrong and got me fixd up. Also showing differrent variations and counters. That one hour in TA made all the differnce in the world. Now I win more merges and know what to do when I don't. Now I'm winnin more 1v1s.

IMO Mtnman is one of the best at setting up a merge, I too spent time with Mtnman in the TA months back and I learned a lot, Delirium is also very good at not only teaching the merge but controlling your E state through it and I learned a lot from him also.  :salute