Author Topic: Beta is out  (Read 4242 times)

Offline antivortex

• Copper Member
Re: Beta is out
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2009, 11:37:32 AM »
Both fill gaps for special events where they will be used most, honestly after the initial 'new plane' euforia they will be a rare plane to encounter... even the Fins will migrate back to their spixteens.
See Rule #4

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2009, 11:44:34 AM »
Yes and no. You will always see a preference toward the top few planes, however the 239 has the potential to gain a wide following among the more experienced pilot base. The I-16 has some range issues but I was flying it with rockets and DT's and it handled well. It just suffers 1 on 1 vs the 239 or similar. I can see both playing a much larger role in the MA then the P-39 has....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2009, 11:45:12 AM »
Its all a question of what your used to. The historical reality is that faster was better and that slow = target.

Historical reality 80% of the time equaled "I saw the bandit, he didn't see me, I closed and *boom*". Obviously in this situation top speed minimizes the time it takes to close thus maximizing the chances of approaching unseen. And an enemy aircraft that is flying around much slower than your own is much, much less likely to be able to close on your formation unspotted.

But it was also the historical reality that actually dogfighting a bandit with significantly lighter wingloading can be a very knotty problem, as the United States (re)discovered in Vietnam.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kotari

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »
Both fill gaps for special events where they will be used most, honestly after the initial 'new plane' euforia they will be a rare plane to encounter... even the Fins will migrate back to their spixteens.

We will do what ?   :rofl

You Sir, clearly are clueless of what rides Finns use on daily basis.
(You know, we don´t have fins, so we´re still quite bad swimmers, eh)  :devil
-=Die Rammjäger VIII=-
Lentolaivue 34

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2009, 11:54:40 AM »
It looks like vortex is on his trolling tour. Lets not feed him anymore. Btw, I did the same mistake myself Kotari.  :) :cry
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2009, 12:03:20 PM »
My $.02

Well I can tell you from experience that those of you currently running AH2 with FPS issues will not be able to play once the update comes out. I have a smoking system that I built to play AH2 and I've never gone below 59 FPS, I have a top of the line video card with 800 megs. Currently in beta I'm getting 15 to 17 FPS, I feel like back when AH2 was first released. I'd post a couple screenshots for you but the current filmviewer in AH2 will not run the beta films. The difference between the current game and beta as far as visually the jagged lines are still there just much smaller so it looks better but kills your frame rates tremendously.
I have a system that is more than 3.5 years old and I run at 1920x1200 and I was getting ~40-45 fps offline with everything at max.

Il-16, Brewster... hanger queens, after you get whacked a dozen or so times by a P-40B you'll never touch those pigs again. Full fuel and no drop tanks the Il-16 has 15 minutes, the Brewster 41 minutes.
They may be rare, but they'll both eat a P-40B for lunch with ease.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2009, 12:04:35 PM »
Personaly I will fly the I-16 and the 239 a lot in LW when available.

I had 4 one on ones.....with experienced AH players and won all 4 while flying an I-16 against a 109F4, a Yak9U,
and twice against mosquitos.

Both the Buffalo and the I-16 are very capable of defeating anything in the air if handled with some sense.

Of course this is just my humble opinion.  Others may vary.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2009, 12:16:32 PM »
Exactly what file do i have to copy and paste to get my stick settings in beta?
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2009, 12:27:05 PM »
I copied the settings folder over.... but my stick, throttle, and pedals would not work.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2009, 12:34:04 PM »
I've been playing since AH beta, I've been though all the major updates so I've been there, done that. My post has more reality than fiction and will show so upon release of the update. Have a warm n fuzzy day!

Well I can tell you from experience that those of you currently running AH2 with FPS issues will not be able to play once the update comes out.   Quote from Pyro 
1-  The low detail mode still has a number of things to be done to  it and it's not going to be very playable in this current beta due to the lack of altitude cues.  The bump mapping is currently not working in that mode and there's some other things that are slated to be worked on there.
2-  There's a mip-mapping issue right now that's going to cause objects to shimmer in the distance.  This is most noticeable with the trees.
3-  There's some anomalies with water reflections like icons getting reflected and in weird positions.
4-  Self shadowing causing text gauges to disappear and may severely impair your frame rate.

I have a smoking system that I built to play AH2 and I've never gone below 59 FPS, I have a top of the line video card with 800 megs. Currently in beta I'm getting 15 to 17 FPS, I feel like back when AH2 was first released. Would be interested to know your system stats to fairly comment + how many processes are running

I'd post a couple screenshots for you but the current filmviewer in AH2 will not run the beta films. You can copy the film into AH II films and play them but you won't see the new terrain

The difference between the current game and beta as far as visually the jagged lines are still there just much smaller so it looks better but kills your frame rates tremendously. Refer you to Pyro's post

Il-16, Brewster... hanger queens, after you get whacked a dozen or so times by a P-40B you'll never touch those pigs again. I'll agree the Brewster may become a hanger queen in the MA's but not because of P40's which, in my opinion won't be as good in a slow turn fight.   Better than a F4f and just about on a par with FM2's.  As for the I-16 I had it turning with A6ms.  Granted it has limited range but the drops are not detrimentle to the handling.   With twin 20mm's you don't want one D200 off ya tail.  CV defence comes to mind for both.

Full fuel and no drop tanks the Il-16 has 15 minutes, the Brewster 41 minutes.

O.k. personally I don't play AH2 for the stellar graphics, its more of a social outing with friends. Fair enough

I'd recomend updating current planes and filling in the gaps in plane sets would have been time well spent compared to what I'm playing on beta. These are 2 capable planes that fit across all arenas.  Obviuosly you disagree....so what would you have "recommended"?

I predict barren skies just like when AH2 was released when the next update comes.  Funny that...I don't remember barron skies when AHII was released

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2009, 02:11:02 PM »
Thanks for the input Nostradamus. :aok
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2009, 02:58:59 PM »
Finally a voice of reason concerning the FR loss experienced in the Beta.  That is why they call it Beta, it is a test version, not the final...

indeed!

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »
I finally got to fly the beta a bit today. Loved the shadows, loved the sea, loved the terrain. Tiffy looks good all cleaned up, and the new planes are fun. Only problem I ran into was bozo's flying only to HO, running from a fight when you turned the tables on them, or ganging. Some were spending time hitting factories as well as radar at bases. Its BETA people ! Scores REALLY don't count in that arena!!   :rolleyes:

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »
Its BETA people ! Scores REALLY don't count in that arena!!   :rolleyes:

Doesn't really stop 'em in the DA, either....
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2009, 03:38:56 PM »
Apparently a single I-16 on the deck is worth piling on 5:1.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you