Author Topic: Transformers Targeted for Racism  (Read 525 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Transformers Targeted for Racism
« on: June 25, 2009, 02:01:25 PM »
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=415956&GT1=28101

Two Transformers characters are being targeted by critics as "The next Jar-Jar Binks." Skids and Mudflap fight with each other, can't read, talk in "gangsta" inspired slang, and one even has a gold tooth. Both characters were largely improvised by the actors (one of whom is black, the other white) with minimal direction from Michael Bay.

However the significant thing to note is that it's primarily film critics (and in the article, two professors) targeting the characters. I've yet to read something from anyone connected with the NAACP or any other actual minority-interest group to have voiced a significant (if any) complaint. And in a bizarre choice of sources, MSN has even quoted an editor at satirical news site The Onion commenting on the place of the characters in the film.

I saw the movie last night, and just to show how eager the media is to whip up a controversy it was probably the African-American members of the audience who laughed the MOST at their dialogue and antics. Additionally, it's the gangsta sub-culture that was being poked fun at (of which there's quite a few members of ALL races) no one race in particular.

The media needs to get its collective head out of its bellybutton and remember that it's COMPLETELY possible to lampoon without being derogatory, and to stop trying to fan flames where they don't actually exist.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
Re: Transformers Targeted for Racism
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 02:52:57 PM »
Must be a slow news week.  The best movies out are the ones the "critics" hate.  They are pompas over paid jerks with nothing better to do than slam other people who actually do something creative.  It's just a movie...entertainment...geeez .  Wish they would just shut up!
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 03:19:42 PM »
Racists are generally the first to point out what they consider racism. That being from my own personal experience.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:31:22 PM »
Must be a slow news week.  The best movies out are the ones the "critics" hate.  They are pompas over paid jerks with nothing better to do than slam other people who actually do something creative.  It's just a movie...entertainment...geeez .  Wish they would just shut up!

The guy who reviewed the movie for MSN hated it, and pretty outright said anyone who disagreed with his review was an idiot. Yeah, that's gonna make me want to read your reviews in the future.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 05:35:49 PM »
Ya "racist" characters.  I think people have for gotten some of the movies of the past like, Don't be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood, Malibu's Most Wanted, and a couple whose name eludes me at this time.  Those were far more ripe for people to rail against.
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 07:56:58 PM »
The thing I hate even more than black/asian/jews are racists!
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 08:01:02 PM »
Theres only two types of people I hate. Those who are intolerant of other peoples cultures... and the DUTCH.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 08:10:52 PM »
Funny, I'm white.  I could dunk in 7th grade.  I loved this movie.

Also, I never saw Al Sharpton protest it.

I'm willing to bet if we had a movie called Black man can't ........  we might have had a problem.

Oh yeah here's Gloria..."Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:19:43 PM by DMBEAR »

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 09:19:02 AM »
Best part of the Transformers movie when I took my two boys to see it the other day was the part where one of the twins said something about being like a Ninja...you should have seen how everyone in the theater laughed at that.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline akusher

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 09:26:34 AM »
Funny, I'm white.  I could dunk in 7th grade. 

You were drinking coffee with your donuts in 7th grade?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 09:58:11 AM »
Theres only two types of people I hate. Those who are intolerant of other peoples cultures... and the DUTCH.

ohhh yeah bayyybee..
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)