Author Topic: Rise of Flight  (Read 86343 times)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Re: Rise of Flight
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 09:27:58 PM »
A

For those that have wondered where our former commie resident (Boroda) has gone off to, I think you can find him at the WB Freehost forums.

ack-ack

Boroda has been member of that forum longer than HTC were in business.   

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2009, 11:12:45 PM »
I was looking forward to playing this game... but you have to pay extra for more flyables? No WWI fix for me. Sheesh.
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2009, 11:38:33 PM »
I want the game badly but that DRM is very off putting. They seem to be losing alot of custom through that decision. People who would pirate the game wont pay for it now, they just wont bother playing it. People who would have paid for it happily are not doing so due to the DRM. Still I am sad that I probably wont play it now.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2009, 07:18:04 AM »
That entirely depends on the car. If you buy an exotic supercar like a Bugatti or Koningsegg the manufacturer may very well take it back if they don't like what you're doing to it. You may not like it, but this type of game licensing is the future. All new games from Relic (Company of Heroes, Dawn of War II etc.) have this "must log into their server to play" type of protection/licensing. I'd be surprised if not all the major distributors use similar protection schemes in the near future.

I doubt its going to be a long lived future.
Now Im no hacker by any stretch of the imagination. My only programming experiences were years ago trying to type in stuff that used to come out in "Load*" magazine. and I failed miserably at that. LOL
But
In 25 years of computing I've observed one constant. No matter what anti piracy scheme they come out with. Someone finds a way around it or how to outright defeat it.
And that would include several versions of your favorite and not so favorite operating systems.
Thats just an observation
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:21:21 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2009, 07:44:30 AM »
so deos that mean the following:

If I purchased the boxed version of the game, but for what ever reason it is impossible to get internet access you will never be able to play the game?
if it was not for the DRM I would purchase the game  :uhoh
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2009, 08:19:55 AM »
Few random shots.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 11:41:04 AM »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2009, 03:14:29 PM »
People who would pirate the game wont pay for it now, they just wont bother playing it.

People who would have pirated the game wouldn't have bothered to pay for it in the first place. 

It's sad that some people won't be buying the game because of the rather draconian DRM because it really is a great game, just as good if not better than RB3 and Flying Corps.  On the other hand, I don't blame the developers and the publisher with trying to protect their IP.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2009, 03:16:50 PM »
Few random shots.

Are you using TrackIR or do you use the padlock/snap view modes?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »
Are you using TrackIR or do you use the padlock/snap view modes?

ack-ack

I'm trying to get TrackIR working, but having a bit trouble. Screens were taken while using a mouse.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2009, 03:53:15 PM »
those are stunning screens.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2009, 04:18:53 PM »
Having to pay extra to get more than two flyable aircraft turns me off more than the DRM does. How much is the US version? 30-40 bucks? Paying that much and then having to shell out however much extra for each additional plane I want to be able to actually fly rather than just shoot at is a slap in the face. At least Il-2 makes aircraft flyable through free patches and updates. This is just greed.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2009, 04:20:29 PM »
so does that mean the following:

If I purchased the boxed version of the game, but for what ever reason it is impossible to get internet access you will never be able to play the game?
if it was not for the DRM I would purchase the game  :uhoh

Yes if your isp takes a dump, their servers take a dump, you cannot reach their servers, or any combonation of those happens you cannot play the game.  The game looks awesome but I still have a problem with the content of the game being so slim and you are basically renting the game.

At saxman:  It's $50 AFAIK.
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2009, 04:45:06 PM »
Yes if your isp takes a dump, their servers take a dump, you cannot reach their servers, or any combonation of those happens you cannot play the game.  The game looks awesome but I still have a problem with the content of the game being so slim and you are basically renting the game.

At saxman:  It's $50 AFAIK.

Well, I'm not gonna pay 50 bucks for two flyable planes and however much more they want to charge for making each additional one flyable. If they make them free patches like Il-2, then maybe I'll reconsider, but as I said, this is just plain greed.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2009, 05:58:48 PM »
Greed? I disagree. I think of it as paying for quality.
They release new aircraft - 1 each month with outstanding FM, DM and visual model. How is that any different than what HTC provides? 15$ a month - and you have to be online to play it?.
Although draconian DRM is annoying.  If server is down, I no longer can play even offline.