Author Topic: Rise of Flight  (Read 86347 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Rise of Flight
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 12:55:28 PM »
Yeah, it also kind of feels like flying in IL2 as well.

Well you just killed my interest right there.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 01:08:46 PM »
Well you just killed my interest right there.

The reason I say that is there is some minor engine management you have to do, like fuel mixture and radiator.  Depending on your altitude you'll be flying at, you need to adjust the fuel mixture for maximum RPMs and you also need to open/close the radiator 'door' to prevent overheating/cooling.  There are other small 'micro' management features like having to recharge your guns after they've jammed, etc.  That's what I mainly mean by 'feels like flying in IL2 as well'.  The game allows you to disable these micro management options at the start of each mission.  Frankly, after my 5th mission, I turned off fuel mixture.  I'd rather fly and fight than having to worry about if my fuel is too lean or rich for flying at 12,000ft.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »
Oh, It's not the micro-management of Il-2 I have a problem with. It's the over-done engine overheats, the absolute lack of sensation of altitude or speed, and the generic, cookie-cutter flightmodel applied to every aircraft so they all fly and feel exactly the same.

So when you said this:
The flight model at least to me, is very easy and feels 'arcade' like.

It makes it sound like it's going to be no better than Il-2's abysmal flight modeling.

Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 02:38:15 PM »
I do not see the comparrison.  AcesHigh is free to download and play offline without a internet connection anytime I choose without pre approval from HTC servers at program launch.  I can pay to play online if and when I choose to do so.

You pay to play on their servers and they can revoke that privilege at any time for a number of offenses like violating the ULA, and you won't get your money back. The free offline play can also be revoked by HTC (in new versions) and was for a period of time. There is a difference, but it is semantic. In both cases you're paying for a product/service and the seller has the right and means to prevent you from playing if they deem it necessary.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 02:40:00 PM by Die Hard »
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 02:49:22 PM »
You pay to play on their servers and they can revoke that privilege at any time for a number of offenses like violating the ULA, and you won't get your money back. The free offline play can also be revoked by HTC (in new versions) and was for a period of time. There is a difference, but it is semantic. In both cases you're paying for a product/service and the seller has the right and means to prevent you from playing if they deem it necessary.

I disagree,

I also agree with the previous posters, I also do not like to pay for a game to play offline but I have to be connected to the internet to play it. AH2 is different as its an online game etc etc. I dont buy a car from a car dealership and then I do a modification to the car which they do not approve I would not expect them to take it away from me.

As far as I see it, I brought the game legitimetly and I own that game, Im not very good at explaining my point enough, but I dont like it.
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 03:01:38 PM »
I disagree,

I also agree with the previous posters, I also do not like to pay for a game to play offline but I have to be connected to the internet to play it. AH2 is different as its an online game etc etc. I dont buy a car from a car dealership and then I do a modification to the car which they do not approve I would not expect them to take it away from me.

As far as I see it, I brought the game legitimetly and I own that game, Im not very good at explaining my point enough, but I dont like it.

That entirely depends on the car. If you buy an exotic supercar like a Bugatti or Koningsegg the manufacturer may very well take it back if they don't like what you're doing to it. You may not like it, but this type of game licensing is the future. All new games from Relic (Company of Heroes, Dawn of War II etc.) have this "must log into their server to play" type of protection/licensing. I'd be surprised if not all the major distributors use similar protection schemes in the near future.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »
Deal killer there....... they can keep their game and play it themselves. Of course there is a sucker born every minute so those types of companies can still thrive.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »
Deal killer there....... they can keep their game and play it themselves. Of course there is a sucker born every minute so those types of companies can still thrive.

If people wouldn't steal games through piracy then there wouldn't be a need for DRMs or other copyright protections on games.  I can't blame a small studio like the developers of RoF to do what they need to in order to prevent their IP from being stolen.

Until more people start to realize that software piracy is the same thing as stealing, DRMs like this will be more frequent.

ack-ack

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 05:56:14 PM »
Bummer on this type of DRM. They can keep it  :( I would have bought it otherwise to burn time in creew appartments where we don't have internet.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 05:57:03 PM »
I have no problem with them trying to protect their investment but, come one this is a niche market as it is.  Hell WWI sims are even more of a niche.  The way I look at it is why didn't they do a check with their servers once a week or a month to continue to play.  This "you must be connected to play the SP" is what has caused a lot of people to develop serious "panty-bunching" problems.  Most people got extremely excited about the game then the DRM/CP issues came about and a good portion of them looked at it like, "I'm paying $50 for a game that has some content but I can't play it without connecting to their servers.  Damn it feels like I am renting the game."  Add on top of that 2 flyables in the US release, 3 in the Russian collectors edition, you can get other flyables as a pay for download content type of thing.  I can see it from the people that don't care but I also see it from the other crowd that are worried about the longevity of the game.  Some of those folks still play F4, IL2, and hell some people are even still playing RB3D after all this time.  Take it as you will but I for one won't upgrade my comp to play a game only to basically rent it for $50 plus the cost of other flyables.  All because I don't care how pretty/realistic it is, if I can't play it when I want to play it for whatever reason,(server outage, my ISP hiccups, the company fails, or i have to dump net for other bills), then there's no purpose to waste my time and money.  Now if in the future they kill the online for SP then I might look into getting it.
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 06:47:23 PM »
I have no problem with them trying to protect their investment but, come one this is a niche market as it is.  Hell WWI sims are even more of a niche.  The way I look at it is why didn't they do a check with their servers once a week or a month to continue to play.  This "you must be connected to play the SP" is what has caused a lot of people to develop serious "panty-bunching" problems.  Most people got extremely excited about the game then the DRM/CP issues came about and a good portion of them looked at it like, "I'm paying $50 for a game that has some content but I can't play it without connecting to their servers.  Damn it feels like I am renting the game."  Add on top of that 2 flyables in the US release, 3 in the Russian collectors edition, you can get other flyables as a pay for download content type of thing.  I can see it from the people that don't care but I also see it from the other crowd that are worried about the longevity of the game.  Some of those folks still play F4, IL2, and hell some people are even still playing RB3D after all this time.  Take it as you will but I for one won't upgrade my comp to play a game only to basically rent it for $50 plus the cost of other flyables.  All because I don't care how pretty/realistic it is, if I can't play it when I want to play it for whatever reason,(server outage, my ISP hiccups, the company fails, or i have to dump net for other bills), then there's no purpose to waste my time and money.  Now if in the future they kill the online for SP then I might look into getting it.

:aok
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 07:07:31 PM »
Ironic if what I heard was true, and that is the developers of RoF stole warbirds and called it freebirds, free to play online. But that is just something I heard in passing conversation.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »
I love the ground textures in RoF, our current beta tiles look poor in comparison.  (at least from the ground)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 07:55:21 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 08:21:42 PM »
Canceled my order owing to the DRM issues.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 09:00:53 PM »
Ironic if what I heard was true, and that is the developers of RoF stole warbirds and called it freebirds, free to play online. But that is just something I heard in passing conversation.

Alex Inozemcev and Sergey Hlupnov (the creators of WB Freehost) are not involved with the developer (neoqb) or publisher (777 Studios) of RoF and never have been.  Both guys I believe are still working on maintaining the freehost. 

For those that have wondered where our former commie resident (Boroda) has gone off to, I think you can find him at the WB Freehost forums.

ack-ack