Author Topic: New Typhoon  (Read 3304 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: New Typhoon
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 04:47:57 PM »
Historically accurate only in the MAs.

Bah! Ya beat me by a second Greebs. :lol
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
Sheesh... got it fixed.  I was pointing the skin viewer to the Beta's stdshape.res file and wasn't getting anywhere.  Then it hit me - the viewer was installed in the HTC\AH2 directory.  I DL'd another copy of the viewer and installed it into the Beta and by using that copy I can see my work.  I had assumed (yeah, there's that word...) that the viewer just needed to be pointed at whatever stdshape.res file the user wished to reference but I guess it also has to be in the same directory as the skin files you wish to view.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 05:59:31 PM by jocko- »
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 01:27:06 AM »
Kazaa, I'm also planning to do a 440 RCAF Tiffie named 'Pulverizer IV', flown by Harry Hardy, a pretty famous aircraft.  I'll probably stick to Canadian Tiffies from 143 Wing for now  :)

Progress (BTW, thanks again for the great default skin Greebo, and thanks to Waffle for such a great model):

Only about 1/2 way done, still a lot of details and weathering to be added... and I haven't even started the (TEDIOUS) rivet layers yet  :eek:

Hooray, two spinner textures, one for engine off and one for engine on... now we can finally have spinners with prop holes in 'em.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:32:07 AM by jocko- »
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 05:56:09 AM »
Looking good Jocko.  :aok

Personally I like to get all the tedious stuff like rivets out of the way first and save all the nice stuff like colour schemes for later.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 06:10:12 AM »
Looks great Jacko, I'm going to wait for Greebo to release the Tempest's .BMP file before I start a new project. :D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:14:04 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 06:45:52 AM »
If there is a Tempest in the new version, I've not been told about it. I suppose it is possible there is a secret plane or GV to come, for instance I had no idea about the T34/85 in the last version. However as Waffle and Superfly have had to do all the new terrain textures and other artwork for this version I'd have thought they would have been too busy.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 07:03:46 AM »
If there is a Tempest in the new version, I've not been told about it. I suppose it is possible there is a secret plane or GV to come, for instance I had no idea about the T34/85 in the last version. However as Waffle and Superfly have had to do all the new terrain textures and other artwork for this version I'd have thought they would have been too busy.
Me-163 looks like a go.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,267853.0.html

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 11:33:36 AM »
Greebo, what you see above is some pretty heavy duty procrastination on my part   ;)

Has the 163 been remodeled or is it just a FM change?

A new Tempest model would be the cat's derriere, the poor Hawker line really looks dated compared to some other types in the game.  I'd love to see the Hurricane models updated, there are SO many paint schemes one could skin the Hurris in it's a pity there's only 15 slots available.
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 11:35:59 AM »
Me-163 looks like a go.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,267853.0.html
The flight model is independent from the 3D model. The 3D model is the same.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 02:48:07 PM »
Looking good Jocko.  :aok

Personally I like to get all the tedious stuff like rivets out of the way first and save all the nice stuff like colour schemes for later.

For some reason I love doing all the tedious stuff like rivets and panel lines and hate doing the painting. I usually get everything but the major weathering and markings done before I even start on painting.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 04:25:33 PM »
Generally my way of working is to start with all the base layers that other layers are built from. I paint the base colour layer for the skin first. Then I skin half the basic panel line, fastener, fabric structure and rivet layers all at the same time. I'll skin one wing, one half of the fuselage etc in false colours, edit them until I'm happy that everything lines up and then copy and paste them to the other half of the skin. This stuff takes week or two to do and can be a bit of a grind at times.

At some point I'll skin all the interior bits as well. This is pretty much a seperate project, with its own layers.

Then I start on all the 3D stuff, creating multiple copies of the base layers to get drop highlights, stronger hatch lines, worn rivets and so on. I also add shadow and highlight effects and create the 3D fabric effects. This stuff is more interesting as you have to think. Also you see big improvements in a fairly short time, a few days normally.

Then I use several copies of the base paint layer to create the camo scheme, erasing different areas of this layer for each new colour. Simple markings are painted right on the skin, complex noseart sometimes gets its own multi layer file and is shrunk and pasted in later. All this can be anything from an evening to a few days to do.

Last thing is the weathering, there might be 20 layers or so and it can take a week or two. I like this as its an area where you can express yourself a bit.

I agree about the Hurri BTW, lots of camo schemes and also a load of interesting 3D effects to do on it. Its one of the more popular MA rides that hasn't been redone yet, so hopefully it won't be much longer.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:35:16 PM by Greebo »

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 11:32:35 PM »
In a perfect world I'll do the panel lines completely, rivets completely, make sure everything is lined up right and then start the camo and markings.  Then I dirty everything up.  This time around I'm like a kid in a candy store - I've got all these RCAF Tiffie references and until now have never had a nice model of it to skin, so the usual order has gone out the window  :D  Too excited!

Progress:

417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2009, 08:38:44 AM »
She's looking mighting fine Jacko, any chance you have vent as I would love to pick your brain for a couple of mins.

Jacko, btw what software are you using to skin your camo?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:41:42 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2009, 11:13:20 AM »
In a perfect world I'll do the panel lines completely, rivets completely, make sure everything is lined up right and then start the camo and markings.  Then I dirty everything up.  This time around I'm like a kid in a candy store - I've got all these RCAF Tiffie references and until now have never had a nice model of it to skin, so the usual order has gone out the window  :D  Too excited!

Progress:

(Image removed from quote.)
:O

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 11:32:11 AM »

Progress:

(Image removed from quote.)

Love the detailing on the wings with the darker swatches giving the appearace of 3D.  :aok
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.