Author Topic: porsche 911 (996)  (Read 11000 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: porsche 911 (996)
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2009, 12:51:39 AM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding... there are no leaks that I've been able to see, and none that have been reported. It's just that the model is known for sometimes having these leaks. About 5% of 1999-2001 996s had them. This is a 2002, so the problem may have been sorted out by now, but I'm still understandably concerned and unfortunately can't get enough time with the car to see if it's happening on my own. There may be nothing there at all... But I don't want to pay a lot later for what I can pay a little to find early on.

ah i see, you should be fine then :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline akusher

• Zinc Member
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2009, 09:00:13 AM »
Well stated, I have owned both Porsche and Bmw, AKA BMtroubleeew. The Porsche was a reliable car as was the BMW, except the BMW had way too many scheduled expensive maintenance's in comparison.

My father in law OWNS not leases 4 Mercedes of various models, 2 12 cyl and 2 8cyl. None are more then 2 years old. About every 3-4 years he buys a whole new fleet.  Purchasing a new Mercedes outright is about the dumbest move a person can make. One day he offered to sell me his 2004 600S. It had 38,000 miles on it and was as all his cars are , black and as close to new as a used car can get. He said he paid around $135,000 for it when he bought it and would let me have it for $25,000. I told him that I could not accept the car so cheap. He then told me he most likely wouldn't get much more for it. My jaw dropped...... in 5 years he lost over $100,000 on that stupid thing and it was mint !

I have to say that I considered purchasing the car but when I found out what it cost to maintain the thing I passed . It also gets about 8 mpg.

That's just insane...

Hell, get a couple Ferraris, Astons or what have you and keep them in mint condition--something unique-- drive them 1-2k a year and keep something more reasonable as an daily driver--make it a bimmer, a benz... whatever you want.

i just don't see the point in owning 4 relatively banal but expensive cars and eating the depreciation on all of them only to get a new fleet in a couple years. Even if you drive like a maniac.

I know he's probably got his reasons, but with that budget, I'd definitely make room for at least 1 or 2 super-exotics and then run my daily driver into the dirt before switching up.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »
That's just insane...

Hell, get a couple Ferraris, Astons or what have you and keep them in mint condition--something unique-- drive them 1-2k a year and keep something more reasonable as an daily driver--make it a bimmer, a benz... whatever you want.

i just don't see the point in owning 4 relatively banal but expensive cars and eating the depreciation on all of them only to get a new fleet in a couple years. Even if you drive like a maniac.

I know he's probably got his reasons, but with that budget, I'd definitely make room for at least 1 or 2 super-exotics and then run my daily driver into the dirt before switching up.

if i had to guess, he probably owns some sort of business, and uses them as a massive tax write off.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2009, 09:36:19 AM »
Few people have claimed that high-end European cars are low maintenance.

Quite the opposite on this BBS.   

Could you provide an example or two?

I travel a lot, and in Europe and I often see what must be 20 year old cars. Apart from the obvious wear on the paintwork they look and sound like they did when they were new, and most of them seem to be owned by young folk, not old geezers.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2009, 09:38:31 AM »
Cap, what's your opinion on Nissans?  My girlfriend's looking for a new car or SUV, and I keep telling her "Toyota, Honda, Nissan," but then it almost seems like the latter gets left off of many of this forum conversations.

Are they about up to par, or do they not match up?

(I know it's kind of a broad question...  She was thinking something along the lines of a Pathfinder/Qx4 or perhaps a G35x if she could find a decent deal).
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2009, 10:00:42 AM »

Could you provide an example or two?

I travel a lot, and in Europe and I often see what must be 20 year old cars. Apart from the obvious wear on the paintwork they look and sound like they did when they were new, and most of them seem to be owned by young folk, not old geezers.

Most have been Banned on here, but there were weekly threads about how "inferior American cars were to European cars".   They always brought out some of the funniest replies ever seen on this BBS.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline akusher

• Zinc Member
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2009, 10:04:43 AM »
Most have been Banned on here, but there were weekly threads about how "inferior American cars were to European cars".   They always brought out some of the funniest replies ever seen on this BBS.

Using the word inferior is a bit misguided, I always thought...

They're different, and built for different purposes. Saying one is better than the other is like trying to convince the other guy that your needs are somehow more important, meaningful, or worthy of attention.

The pissing contest is always fun, but in the end, people make their selections based on a specific goal, or, like me, an old poster I had on my wall as a kid.

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2009, 10:35:42 AM »
That's just insane...

Well if you ever have been in a CL 600 you really cant see needing anymore speed. That car is very very fast and very very quick. He's 87 and really likes his Mercedes, his friend has an Enzo and he said he thinks the car is too sparse, cramped and it's hot in the driver's compartment. He likes all the bells and whistles. He also has 3 homes so the cars are spread out between them. None of the cars he has owned have ever been driven in the dirt not even close, all stay in air conditioned garages and spend little time in the sun or even on the road. It's a total waste of money and is cutting into my inheritance  :rofl Considering that an average Ferrari will run you in the 200K region and the Aston's are even more. Both make Mercedes maintenance costs a deal. He had a Rolls once and you wouldn't believe the cost to change the oil $$$. He owned a water treatment facility Cap and sold it about 10 years ago.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2009, 10:52:51 AM »
Cap, what's your opinion on Nissans?  My girlfriend's looking for a new car or SUV, and I keep telling her "Toyota, Honda, Nissan," but then it almost seems like the latter gets left off of many of this forum conversations.

Are they about up to par, or do they not match up?

(I know it's kind of a broad question...  She was thinking something along the lines of a Pathfinder/Qx4 or perhaps a G35x if she could find a decent deal).

I ACTUALLy don't have any problems with nissans. the altimas are very nice cars now, although the early ones were poop.
 i have some customers with pathfinders, as far back as 93. they all like em. they're dependable, drive nice, and won't let ya down, as long as you keep up on basic maintenance.

if you're buying it used, try to avoid the "cutthroat" car dealers. they'll screw ya every time. if you're buying from a private party, or even a regular dealer, have it looked over by your regular tech.
 i just looked over a hyundai yesterday for a customer.....he liked it, and thought it sounded great(for $4k). it sucked. it had sooooo much wrong with it, i felt it would've been overpriced at 2k.

anyway, good luck, and feel free to ask any questions......i do the best i can to try n help yas.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »
Using the word inferior is a bit misguided, I always thought...

They're different, and built for different purposes. Saying one is better than the other is like trying to convince the other guy that your needs are somehow more important, meaningful, or worthy of attention.

The pissing contest is always fun, but in the end, people make their selections based on a specific goal, or, like me, an old poster I had on my wall as a kid.

very nicely put.

another thing people like to do, is to compare numbers. numbers that are completley meaningless to the average everyday joe. they'll say car A can do X on the skidpad, and car B can only do Y. well, guess what? 99% of the people buying these cars will NEVER see that skidpad rating in their driving. ever. most will never see their cars full capability of acceleration, or braking. heck.......99% of the people on the road have no clue as to what their cars are really capable of. at least not here in the US.
 not knowing your cars capabilities, and limitations, i think is about as dangerous as taking a cessna up, and not knowing those capabilities and/or limitations.

<<S>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2009, 10:59:13 AM »

Well if you ever have been in a CL 600 you really cant see needing anymore speed. That car is very very fast and very very quick. He's 87 and really likes his Mercedes, his friend has an Enzo and he said he thinks the car is too sparse, cramped and it's hot in the driver's compartment. He likes all the bells and whistles. He also has 3 homes so the cars are spread out between them. None of the cars he has owned have ever been driven in the dirt not even close, all stay in air conditioned garages and spend little time in the sun or even on the road. It's a total waste of money and is cutting into my inheritance  :rofl Considering that an average Ferrari will run you in the 200K region and the Aston's are even more. Both make Mercedes maintenance costs a deal. He had a Rolls once and you wouldn't believe the cost to change the oil $$$. He owned a water treatment facility Cap and sold it about 10 years ago.

so i was close........am i right about the tax write offs? if he has a "good" accountant, i think he can still manage that.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline akusher

• Zinc Member
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2009, 11:27:30 AM »

I understand comfort over performance, if you're that old...

That being said, there's a 2 year wait list on most 2 seater ferraris, and the end result is that slightly used but mint condition models often go for way more than the list price.

Perfect example, just look up the 599gtb on cars.com

find a 2008 with 1k miles on it and the price will be pushing $400k--although new they cost around $325 with a good options package.

The Scuderias are even worse, because they're more rare and in higher demand with the true enthusiasts--no rug or sound system to minimize weight.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2009, 11:37:11 AM »
I understand comfort over performance, if you're that old...

That being said, there's a 2 year wait list on most 2 seater ferraris, and the end result is that slightly used but mint condition models often go for way more than the list price.

Perfect example, just look up the 599gtb on cars.com

find a 2008 with 1k miles on it and the price will be pushing $400k--although new they cost around $325 with a good options package.

The Scuderias are even worse, because they're more rare and in higher demand with the true enthusiasts--no rug or sound system to minimize weight.

if one were to spend crazy money for a crazy fast car, why in the world would they want something that forgoes comfort for speed when one could have one of these?  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk1t6S737Cs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZ9X9A2efA
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 11:40:33 AM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline akusher

• Zinc Member
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »
if one were to spend crazy money for a crazy fast car, why in the world would they want something that forgoes comfort for speed when one could have one of these?  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk1t6S737Cs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZ9X9A2efA

well, and this is coming from somebody whose desire for a superexotic is strictly theoretical as i can nowhere near afford one, there are a couple reasons.

First of all, I hate the way it looks--for me, the ferrari 599, a car whose looks have been criticized by many, is just way more stylish, comfortable, and as fast as I would ever need a car to go and then some.

secondly, I just don't like the idea of a 16 cylinder quad-turbo engine. Don't know why, but it feels like this is the automotive equivalent of owning a .500 SW Mag. Don't get me wrong, a 5.9 liter v 12 is big too, but there's a line that's being crossed that just doesn't sit well with me.

Thirdly, it's like $1.5 million. And even if I had money to burn, this seems excessive. For that much, I could get 5 cars that I've been dying to have since i was a teenager and therefore, 5 different flavors to enjoy instead of just one.

Finally, I'd always err on the side of quick and nimble. A 2800 lb f430, or, if we're talking huge prices, a 2300lb f70 (forthcoming enzo successor that's modeled on the FXX), with a 700 hp engine just seems like more fun than 2 tons being driven by 1001 hp--even if it come equipped with its own automated bartender. It's a foregone conclusion that a 1 ton ferrari will make mincemeat of the bugatti on any track, and that i'll likely never live to drive against one, but it's comforting just to know that it was engineered for sport, not just for picking up overpriced hookers in Washington Street in Miami.

Again, just taste, and again, that good old poster on the wall. Prancing horse has always been part of a dream, and no bugatti will ever usurp that emotional connection.

Offline REVRAND

• Copper Member
      • Brids Of Prey
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe 1 MILLION Pounds is a wee more than 400k.........Unbelievable car and The Euro Fighter is no slouch either at 67 Million Pounds...... <<<!S!>>>