Author Topic: Multiple lives?  (Read 613 times)

Offline RAT

• Zinc Member
Multiple lives?
« on: June 28, 2009, 11:01:30 AM »
From the Battle of the Coral Sea rules:

Lives:

* Fighter pilots get two lives in aircraft.
    * Bomber pilots get three lives in aircraft

I'm curious...  I recently returned to AH after taking a few years off, signed up for the Battle of the Coral Sea scenario, read the rules and cannot remember ever having multiple lives in a primary ride during a scenario.  My previous experiences, as I recall, were you get one life and if you die, you move on to a secondary assignment.   Why was this concept of multiple lives in a primary ride injected into scenarios?

I question the affect multiple lives has on realism in scenarios.  For instance, I read somewhere that if all the positions are filled in Coral Sea, the numbers will be the same as the actual battle.  Seems to me there will be twice as many fighters, three times the actual number of bombers and far more attacks than actually happened...

Perhaps historical realism has taken a back seat to increasing the so called "fun factor" while avoiding the frustration, for some, of training for several weeks just to die in the first few minutes of a frame?  If this is necessary to fill the ranks, so be it, but for me it takes a good part of the realism out of the scenario. 

"A kill is a kill"

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
Re: Multiple lives?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:50:41 AM »
 :aok
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Multiple lives?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 08:44:31 PM »
I hear you.  Single life is definitely more realistic.  I like single-life, too -- I probably myself prefer that over multi-life.  But there are folks who prefer multi-life (because people invest a lot of prepration time in scenarios), and I like the variety of having some scenarios be single life (as in all of Rangoon, bombers in Der Grosse Schlag, and RAF fighters in Battle of Britain) and some be multi-life.

Also, part of what goes into the decision is playability.  Single-life can work in scenarios with only fighters and formation bombers.  Everyone there gets the ability to fight back and a good shot at action before they get shot down.  So, in that case, they will still sign up and have fun.  Multi-life is the way to go for scenarios with non-formation bombers, though, as those don't have the formations or great strength in defensive guns.  In past scenarios with non-formation, non-fighters, we get people signing up and having a blast as long as it is a multi-life scenario.