Author Topic: anyone used the following stick?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
anyone used the following stick?
« on: June 29, 2009, 02:01:36 AM »
Hey all,

Currently I use a Saitek ST290 Pro, Its been fine for two years but looking at getting a better stick/replacing it, I was thinking about getting the Saitek cyborg X then came accross the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X, I've never seen or heard of it, heres a link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-PS3-compatible/dp/B001DMUCAC

if not what other stick is recommended?

cheers
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: anyone used the following stick?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 06:16:38 AM »
Doesn't give much info as to how many buttons, etc.  But it looks like it might have potential.

Thrustmaster, Saitek, CH are the big 3 IMO, CH seems to have the best reputation of them all when it comes to durability. If your interested, give it a try, write up a review after you've had it a few weeks.

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 06:26:29 AM »
I think I will, ghosth, I love the saitek stick because it has so many buttons on top of the stick which are all quite accessible during flight, I dont think I will get a CH stick because I like the twist for the rudder as I dont have pedals yet.

heres some better pics

http://www.thrustmaster.com/files.aspx?ProductID=149&Images=1
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 06:33:53 AM by jdbecks »
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 09:56:40 AM »
IIRC most people liked that setup (HOTAS), but it wore out super quick.  (I seem to remember many here having problems w/ it after a few months)

CH is for sure the way to go if you can afford it.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 02:33:20 PM »
If ya want a Saitek stick and a HOTAS set up, then I suggest the X52 $100 or the X52 Pro $170
 :salute

A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:29:46 PM »
Saitek Cyborg is a total lump or junk. Do not, repeat, NOT but a cybotg if you want to enjoy AcesHigh. I flew with cyborgs for 3 years, without a choice, and hated them. I had to repair it many times, and replace it twice in that 3 year period. The spring is horrible, there is no chance for fine control and the manufacturing is designed to break within a year tops.

Get a sidewinder on ebay if you want a twisty stick.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 09:45:36 PM »
Saitek Cyborg is a total lump or junk. Do not, repeat, NOT but a cybotg if you want to enjoy AcesHigh. I flew with cyborgs for 3 years, without a choice, and hated them. I had to repair it many times, and replace it twice in that 3 year period. The spring is horrible, there is no chance for fine control and the manufacturing is designed to break within a year tops.

Had a cyborg for about 5years, loved it. Z axis died after ~4 years, but I was using pedals anyway.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 10:38:53 PM »
Did you not find the primative spring system made fine control almost impossible? I had the basic cyborg, not the force feeback version.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Did you not find the primative spring system made fine control almost impossible?

No. And I had a basic Cyborg as well. When i finally aquired a X-45 HOTAS I just used the 45's throttle and continued to fly with the cyborg until it worn out (and I managed to break the X-45 throttle  :uhoh). Both were replaced by the X-52 pro.

I went an unusual way... I had a CH stick long time ago, and went to Saitek ... and never came back ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:57:32 PM by Lusche »

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 10:55:13 PM »
My cyborg was a great stick beside it's lack of buttons.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 11:41:02 PM »

I thought it was a terrible stick, and fell apart very quickly. I would never chose the cyborg over the sidewinder and they cost about the same. Personal preferance i geuss.  :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 12:35:16 AM »

I thought it was a terrible stick, and fell apart very quickly. I would never chose the cyborg over the sidewinder and they cost about the same.

Luck plays a role too. After all, there are even people that never had any quality problems with their Logitech sticks ;)

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 09:35:57 AM »
CH all the way! :aok
Spend the extra cash and get quality or replace a cheaper stick often. :salute
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:40:08 AM by usvi »
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 10:28:16 AM »
Luck plays a role too. After all, there are even people that never had any quality problems with their Logitech sticks ;)

Right now I am using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. So far I have not had any problems with it. Been using this stick for almost a year.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 02:47:12 PM »
On a side note... if you decide to go with another Saitek stick like the X52, the tight spring on the ST290 Pro is inter-changeable with other Saitek sticks. Wish I still had my old St290 Pro, would love to put that stiffer spring in my X52.
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".