Author Topic: needed....some time with a coach!  (Read 684 times)

Offline mtn-paradoc

• Zinc Member
needed....some time with a coach!
« on: July 01, 2009, 02:24:48 AM »
is there a coach available to help me?  Im getting better, but its painfully slow!
I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.
- Duke of Wellington

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: needed....some time with a coach!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 06:45:43 AM »
Times online? Topics your wanting to work on?

Offline mtn-paradoc

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 02:53:39 AM »
im online 7 to 10 mountain time...and need some basics in dog fighting....i guess.
 i get one or two a night...but im tired of being target practice. lol!

If it helps i mainly fly f4u-1A, spit 16's and altho i die really fast....p-38l. I think the problem is i fly all of them the same way.....hard turning fight
I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.
- Duke of Wellington

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »
What always helps is to find a plane or planes you like and then work with it/them to get better. I first started out with Spitfires, ponies and P-40s and worked my way up to Tempests, 190s and zeros. Also, before you learn the basics you need to fly easy planes such as the spitfire. Going to the dueling arena helps with dogfighting and getting out of ganging situations, joining a squad and asking questions will help. And remember, don't get discouraged if you get shot down, some people have played the game since the 90s and even they get shot down occassionally. :aok
The day no hoes would fly......

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »
im online 7 to 10 mountain time...and need some basics in dog fighting....i guess.

If it helps i mainly fly f4u-1A, spit 16's and altho i die really fast....p-38l. I think the problem is i fly all of them the same way.....hard turning fight

you have to pick one of them and learn it first. the 3 you mentioned, fly completely differently.

the spit.......she'll keep speed and e, she'll turn on a dime, and give ya nine cents change...and her guns can be deadly.

the 38l? i don't fly the l, but rather the j, as i'm in mw all the time. she fights best in the verticle. i'm still learning this. she's much harder(in my opinion) to fight in than the spit......but the few times i've flown a corsair, i've ended the fights in a flat spin.
 i can sometimes get my 38 inside a spits turn, for 1 or maybe 2 turns. same with some of the 109's. rudder is VERY important on the 38.

i think you should jump in the 38. she's beautiful, and once you've learned her, she'll not let ya down. besides...it feels much better getting kills in a harder to fight in aircraft.  :aok

if ya see me on, i'll do what i can to help ya, just ber in mind that i'm not the caliber of snaphook, shuffler, cobia, akak, delirium, etc.......and i'm not a trainer.....but i have no problem passing on what i do know.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »
That is a good diversity of planes, as CAP1 said these planes fly completely differently, in the case of the F4U it has incredible diving ability and can turn very well at low speed with flaps. The spit is an effective all around plane, either at high speeds or low speeds and like CAP said, can turn on a dime. The P38 is a magnificent plane as well as all most all of the P series planes. Learning to fight with hit and run tactics can be practiced with the Tempest and other high speed planes, although i would not recommend this strategy of fighting for medium or slow speed planes at all. Hit and run can become dangerous if you learn it right, just like anything else in the game, good luck <S>
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:52:10 PM by Eagleclaw »
The day no hoes would fly......

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 02:00:10 PM »
Spend some time with any of the trainers that are available when you are. Any of them can put you on the right path. Spend some time laying a good foundation and developing basic plane handling skills. While it's often "easier" to start with a plane that has a decided advantage I would consider a plane that forces the development of all the required skills as well. A plane that requires an understanding and use of throttle, rudder and AoA (angle of attack) helps to develop a broader more complete skill set. Over time and after interaction with multiple trainers you will develop a better feel for the various options.

In addition to the official trainers there are a number of exceptional sticks in the TA, rather then try and list some I would encourage you to quiz the official trainers since they would have a better feel on the merits of each. Be careful and prudent in selecting any "unofficial" help since inadvertent misinformation can make the learning process more complicated. :salute

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:41:01 PM »
+1 to Humble...

I'd just like to add that after you've received some help from the trainers, grab a friend, head into the DA, and put what you were taught to practice.  I'd advise finding a semi-private field rather than going to the furball area...

There are often a group of people on at a semi-private field, and if you are polite, ask if you can join, and pay attention to their rules (if any), most won't have any problem with including you in the fun :aok

Occasionally, you'll find two guys are having an "official" 1v1 and it is polite to respect that and leave them be.

Edit - If you like Corsairs and are in VF-17, why not have Tex help you out?  He's a good Hog stick and could probably give you some pointers.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:49:22 PM by Vudak »
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 01:38:08 AM »

mtn-paradoc,
what is your online gameid ( callsign )?   edit: nevermind it says Rooster is your callsign in your signature.my bad

I was helping Thing in the F4U planes, and hopefully will be starting back up with him now that TilDeath has built "Thing" his new computer.....I also am working with Flushed in the F4U planes......

let me figure out that mountian time compared to my East coast time and I'll shoot you a pm and try and set something up with you....

also, we must fix your problem I highlighted and underlined in RED in the quote above.......that indeed is a problem and easily remedied  :aok

look forward to working with you......

Widewing, MtnMan, Badboy and some of the other Trainers are very proficient in the F4U planes as well........ Murdr, Silat, Delirium and others are more proficient in the P38 series planes......

shoot me a PM on your prefered days you get online......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 02:21:27 AM »
Murdr, Silat, Delirium and others are more proficient in the P38 series planes......

I am usually available after 10pm est on Sun, Wed, Sat. Every other day it is 'hit or miss' for my availability.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline mtn-paradoc

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 01:22:16 PM »
thanks guys! really appreciate the input!
   My primary ride is is the f4u-1a...and thanks to squad mates and some REALLY patient guys in ma...Im getting it ( now if i could just LAND after having a good flight and STAY on the runway so it counts! lol)

Since i first asked i have learnt alot to the point where I can watch  a spit try to out dive my 1-a and think  ( a little smugly I might add) " what a noob!"  i usually die right after that.  LOL!

just a salute to all you guys! :aok
- Duke of Wellington

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 01:25:56 PM »
thanks guys! really appreciate the input!
   My primary ride is is the f4u-1a...and thanks to squad mates and some REALLY patient guys in ma...Im getting it ( now if i could just LAND after having a good flight and STAY on the runway so it counts! lol)

Make sure you get that tail wheel down before you try and put on the brakes! :)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 01:33:40 PM »
mtn-paradoc / Rooster,

the offer still stands anytime you might want to get together and work on some F4U stuff.....

I will be online this afternoon around 5 or 6 pm EDT........

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC