Author Topic: Fiat G.55 I centauro  (Read 12044 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fiat G.55 I centauro
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 02:16:48 PM »
As many G.55s were made and used as were C.205s. It along with the C.205 made up the entirety of front line fighters after Italy surrendered. 50% of a frontline force... I know we're talking the IT air force here, nothing compared to the Soviets or the Yanks, but 50% of it, nothing to sneeze at.

I personally would like to see it in-game someday. It would probably replace my favorite ride (C.205).
'50%' if you ignore actual ratios of the aircraft, the older types still in use, and, especially, all of the 109's the ANR got from Germany... :)

(YES for Italians, they didn't have a whole lot to be proud of during the war and this decent aircraft is one of their highlights).
Beside the fact that the Italians had much more significant aircraft, this comment is just...
 :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyway, you guys realize that, whether or not it was better than any Axis aircraft of its day, its day was 1943, right? Its competition would have been the Bf 109G-6 and the A-4 through -8 190's. We're not talking about a Kurfurst/Dora killer here.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:25:21 PM by Motherland »

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 02:29:10 PM »
'
Anyway, you guys realize that, whether or not it was better than any Axis aircraft of its day, its day was 1943, right?

Of course we do. I think no one is claiming über-performance, but there is no doubt it has an excellent set of overall qualities.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »
Of course we do. I think no one is claiming über-performance, but there is no doubt it has an excellent set of overall qualities.
There are people in this thread as well as many others who have called it a non-American late war aircraft as merit for inclusion.

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 02:44:03 PM »
There are people in this thread as well as many others who have called it a non-American late war aircraft as merit for inclusion.

Sure, once in a while some guys can get too enthusiasic, but the main theme of the G.55 supporters is that it's a very capable midwar plane (more capable than a 205, 109G2/6 or 190A5 that do all rather well in LWA) - no more, no less.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »
I don't see the G.55 adding any special event playability.  The G.50 and C.200, on the other hand, would make for an awesome Malta event.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »
I don't see the G.55 adding any special event playability.  The G.50 and C.200, on the other hand, would make for an awesome Malta event.

the only battle that it would work is the Battle of Rome.  After Italy surrender, some G.55 fought along side with LW  and some had LW markings too.  
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:55:26 PM by oakranger »
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »
I don't see the G.55 adding any special event playability.  The G.50 and C.200, on the other hand, would make for an awesome Malta event.

I think the majority of players do not care very much about scenarios.   

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 05:01:29 PM »
I think the majority of players do not care very much about scenarios.    

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Well, I hope they don't think its going to create some sort of revolution in the LW MA's either...  I'm all for bringing every aircraft that was used into the game, in their due time.  Given this aircraft had negligible influence on anything, was represented in very low numbers, and has very little documented combat history, I'd say bring it on, after just about every other aircraft I can imagine.  Certainly the C200 and the C42 should be in game months before the G55.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:09:47 PM by Stoney »
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 05:24:26 PM »

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Well, I hope they don't think its going to create some sort of revolution in the LW MA's either...  I'm all for bringing every aircraft that was used into the game, in their due time.  Given this aircraft had negligible influence on anything, was represented in very low numbers, and has very little documented combat history, I'd say bring it on, after just about every other aircraft I can imagine.  Certainly the C200 and the C42 should be in game months before the G55.

+1

When i think of getting a new AC, i am thinking of scenario events not the MA.  I do not know how you can justifye of not have something like B-29 with having something that balance the game that can take it on.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:27:43 PM by oakranger »
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline madrebel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 06:39:15 PM »
G55, well it was the best AC for the Italian next to MC 205 and Reggiane 2005.  First saw action in the Battle of Rome, armament: three 20 mm Mauser MG Cannon, two 12.7 -mm, two 160kg bombs and the G.55S carried a torpedo.  However, it was shot lived AC as vary few where produced and saw little combat (April 1942-1943 when they surrender). 

There where some still in production after the surrender if Italy.  As a small number where still flying under Fascist Aeroonautica Nazionale Repubblicana along side the LF. 
actually the ANR, specifically II Gruppo Caccia, flew G.55s post armistice.

Offline madrebel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 06:46:15 PM »
Madrebel, those are very intresting scans of G.55 data. In case HTC does not have them yet, those climb and speed charts go a long way in helping to model the plane accurately. I suggest you send these pictures or maybe copies to HTC directly for consideration.

Thank you very much for your effort and contribution !  :salute
thanks. i was really quite shocked when they responded. I didnt tell them i was researching to write a book or researching for anything specifically. i'm just a guy that likes warbirds trying to learn everything i can about the italian fighters.

what really shocked me was the g.56 data. one prototype built over 60 years ago and only flown a few times and i have the data on it. that is just really damn cool to me. if only someone would build the g.56 for one of these games. the g.56 would really be a treat to fly.

i sent off requests to the national archives yesterday. if i get anything from them it won't be for at least 3 weeks but i'm hopeful they have more data similar to this on the reggianne fighters. really hopeful they have rate of roll data for all the fighters as i've never seen that data anywhere for italian fighter planes.

Offline Templar

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »

Anyway, you guys realize that, whether or not it was better than any Axis aircraft of its day, its day was 1943, right? Its competition would have been the Bf 109G-6 and the A-4 through -8 190's. We're not talking about a Kurfurst/Dora killer here.
   :rolleyes:
  Not everyone is focused on Late War GI Joe action uber rides.  :O  epic flying mounts are two games down and on the left.  :joystick:  :neener:
Hearts of Iron II is a great game Mad, glad to see someone esle out there plays it.  :joystick: :rock
Muhahahahhaa

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 07:53:34 PM »
Look's cool i like it
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2010, 08:11:03 PM »
actually the ANR, specifically II Gruppo Caccia, flew G.55s post armistice.

You may be right.  trying to dig up some info on it.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline madrebel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2010, 08:14:57 PM »
http://www.comandosupremo.com/RSI.html *edit had the wrong link*

loss reports for the ANR may be tricky to find though. i'm unaware of how that reporting was done and who it was reported too.