Author Topic: anyone used the following stick?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
Re: anyone used the following stick?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 06:37:01 AM »
On a side note... if you decide to go with another Saitek stick like the X52, the tight spring on the ST290 Pro is inter-changeable with other Saitek sticks. Wish I still had my old St290 Pro, would love to put that stiffer spring in my X52.

I orded a X52 instead of the thrust master.

I never knew that! my ST290 arrives tomorrow, how easy is it to replace the spring with the st290?
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 07:25:57 AM »
I orded a X52 instead of the thrust master.

I never knew that! my ST290 arrives tomorrow, how easy is it to replace the spring with the st290?

Have you ever taken a key off a key ring with the "split ring". You have to get the "key" started by spreading the closed side of the ring and slide the "key" around until it comes off. Same principle with the spring. The ends of the spring are bent "closed" Take a screw driver and spread the closed end at the top of the spring so the joystick shaft will pass through. Once you get the spring started, you just twist the spring until it "unscrews" off the shaft. To replace the spring, just do the same steps... spread the "closed" end, screw it on the shaft until it is all the way on.

*NOTE: Though this is not very hard to do, check the stick firmness of the STOCK X52 compared to the ST290 Pro. Make sure this is the "feel" you want to change before you do this. Otherwise, this operation may have to be reversed if you find you don't like the stiffer X52. I think the stock spring on the X52 is waaayyyyy too loose for my flying style.

Total time to do this is about 10 min. Finding the fastest and easiest way to remove the springs is the hardest part and there is NO disassembling of anything other than the springs.

Hope this helps and enjoy the X52.

:salute
DasChewy
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 02:50:59 PM »
Have you ever taken a key off a key ring with the "split ring". You have to get the "key" started by spreading the closed side of the ring and slide the "key" around until it comes off. Same principle with the spring. The ends of the spring are bent "closed" Take a screw driver and spread the closed end at the top of the spring so the joystick shaft will pass through. Once you get the spring started, you just twist the spring until it "unscrews" off the shaft. To replace the spring, just do the same steps... spread the "closed" end, screw it on the shaft until it is all the way on.

*NOTE: Though this is not very hard to do, check the stick firmness of the STOCK X52 compared to the ST290 Pro. Make sure this is the "feel" you want to change before you do this. Otherwise, this operation may have to be reversed if you find you don't like the stiffer X52. I think the stock spring on the X52 is waaayyyyy too loose for my flying style.

Total time to do this is about 10 min. Finding the fastest and easiest way to remove the springs is the hardest part and there is NO disassembling of anything other than the springs.

Hope this helps and enjoy the X52.

:salute
DasChewy

nice cheers  :aok :salute
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 10:09:11 AM »
just bought x52 seems very good.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 05:29:26 PM »
Doesn't give much info as to how many buttons, etc.  But it looks like it might have potential.

Thrustmaster, Saitek, CH are the big 3 IMO, CH seems to have the best reputation of them all when it comes to durability. If your interested, give it a try, write up a review after you've had it a few weeks.

CH is in a league of it's own and it should be for the price people (including me) have to pay for the full setup.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline xthecatx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 04:29:13 AM »
Spring problem with the saitek is easily fixed by putting a spacer under the spring feels a lot stiffer   :aok

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 05:47:07 AM »
just bought x52 joystick and controller seems very good up to now :aok
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 06:50:50 AM »
Spring problem with the saitek is easily fixed by putting a spacer under the spring feels a lot stiffer   :aok

That's what I did. I used a one gallon milk cap, works well. Would rather have had a ST290 Pro spring, but the spacer does the trick?
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".