Author Topic: AH2 Training  (Read 930 times)

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
AH2 Training
« on: July 03, 2009, 03:14:58 AM »
    This is not a complaint by any means, I think that AH's training core is very knowledgeable and very good at what they do. I have worked with a few trainers and I have learned a lot from each one, but I noticed something from the last time that I worked with a trainer and one of my squad mates followed. Though I got a lot out of the session I have recently realized that my squadie didn't get out of it what I did. Now he did get some things but a lot of it he didn't understand, He should of spoke up, he didn't and that's  beside the point. But what I started doing was filming every fight "during game play" and I go through every film and try to find something that I think might benefit them in "actual game play". Then I go and I explain it on the film, I slow it down at critical points and point out important things etc. I can tell you its a lot of work, I'm up until early morning hours editing film, but it works well, they seem to understand a lot better by being able to watch it on film and seeing exactly whats going on with narration, and anytime they have a question they just go and watch it on film.

I was wondering is there a place on the AH website that maybe these training type films already exist. And if not I think that it might be something good to add to the training area for newer players or any player that may have a question about anything from ACM to landing F4U's (took me for ever to get that down).

Just a note, in a couple of films I have my whole squad avoiding the Ho and the benefits of not ho'ing. They were doing it because they actually didn't know what else to do in that situation. Its easy for a trainer to explain the merge but I can tell you it took me a lot of trial and error before I actually understood it, and I have my whole squad doing basic merges with just a couple of films because they can see the benifits.   

Just a suggestion,
                      Cajunn :salute
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Re: AH2 Training
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 04:22:51 AM »
Try the Wiki.

Try the trainers site
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/films/main.htm
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/rollingscissors/rollingscissors.htm
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/files/murdr/evarevall.zip
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/acm-merge/acm-merge.htm

Is this the sort of thing your looking for, or do you mean "is there a common place, a "one-stop-shop" for all of this sort of thing?
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:04:34 AM »
There are a number of films out there, as Spatula posted, but the biggest block to this was admitted by yourself......"I can tell you its a lot of work, I'm up until early morning hours editing film".

Every single trainer is a volunteer. They give what time they have. Some have made films.... Murdr, Badboy, Agent360, Moot, just to name a few, but remember, they don't do this for a living. While pointing out that more films is a good idea... which it is, don't get me wrong...it might be asking too much. Flying one of these "SuperSticks" to your place for a couple of hours of one on one would be a great idea too, but maybe a bit much.

What you could do, is to make these movies and donate them to the Trainers corps. If they are as good as you say, and are as helpful to others as they have been to your squad, they may post them on the trainers site.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 08:39:26 AM »
The Aces High Film viewer is a great training tool.

Here is the method I have adopted with my squad mates. (Yes it is rather complicated and clumsy and I would love an easier way)

We fight. I film it. They film it. We exchange films (we use AIM but any quick and easy method would do).

We review the film in slow speed with me describing what view to set up and where to stop and start. We discuss at length. A short 30 second fight may generate 30 minutes of discussion or a 4 minute fight might get a 15 second review depending on the content.

Of course this would be more effective if I had a virtual film room where I controlled what everyone saw without having to try to sync other folks to what I am seeing using voice.

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 12:23:44 PM »
Squash

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
Moot converted an older flim to .wmv for me recently.  It's an excercise geared toward newer players to help them confirm their accuracy and follow through with maneuvers...

Immelman excercise

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 01:02:24 PM »
Hi, Cajun
I was wondering if I could see your films on avoiding the HO shot? My nickname is Flushed and I am usually in the training area from 5pm-1830 everyday. Also anyone know how to contact a trainer I have tried the email address on the trainers website but for some reason they don't go through. I got to fly with Ghosth and Hammer once each but have been unable to be on at the same time as they are again. I enjoyed the lessons they gave very much.

Thanks,
Flushed on aceshigh
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 02:11:12 PM »
Also anyone know how to contact a trainer

Training calendar says Murdr was just in the TA, Morfiend is there now, and Moot will be there soon.  Also I hear they regularly monitor the help and training board  :aok

Offline HellFire

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 05:11:46 PM »
Cajunn & Dawger   :)

I applaud ur endeavors & unselfishness in filming ur Squads' fights, ur squadmates
films, reviewing the films & ur inputs.   What a wonderful training idea from a diffe-
rent perspective   :aok

Congrats on what you are doing, is there a way where I'd be able to download the films in question for my edification & perusal?   I recently downloaded Dawger's
BFM & found it loaded w/helpful info.    :rock    Want/need  more to improve myself
in every aspect ... thx.

Should u wish to PM me you're more than welcome   :salute
"In life there is certain death, and between life and death
  there is a journey, hence in truth nothing is lost in death."

Offline McDeath

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 10:24:03 AM »
I have always thought that if after every flight I would log off and review the film before the next sortie, how much better I would beat at the "game"

Thanks to everyone who posts the helpful films!
flying as                     
Voudou  III/JG11 BOG
71Sqn./USMC
When we are done with you, you are going to wish your Daddy pulled out early!
"Then throw caution to the wind, buy a one way ticket to furball city and pop

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »
If you approach the game with the attitude that you are at fault for every time you die in game and try to honestly appraise each death from that standpoint you will improve without doing anything else.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 05:53:19 PM »
If you approach the game with the attitude that you are at fault for every time you die in game and try to honestly appraise each death from that standpoint you will improve without doing anything else.

Or drown in an endless wave of despair.... :devil

I think Bruce Lee said something about the mindset a fighter has to have, every past mistake must be analyzed and rationalized to the point the fighter says "Aha, there it is, I'll not make that mistake again!" and return with perfect confidence. It is mentally difficult to constantly test yourself and examine all your shortcomings under a microscope, while NOT destroying the almost "cocky" level of confidence needed to win.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 06:43:13 AM »
Well Dawger has a valid point, if you die, you made a mistake someplace.

By the same token wallowing too long in that will lead you to depression and despair.

But rather than blame the other guy for the horde, the pick, the HO, blame your own lack of SA, etc.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 08:12:16 AM »
Y'all are starting to make me wonder.......

Making a mistake is not the end of the world. It is the way of the world.

All flying is error correction. The act of flying is constant corrections to achieve the desired heading and altitude or other end result. The difference between a good pilot and a great pilot is the great pilot only has to make very small error corrections, so small it looks like he isn't doing anything.

The goal is never to eliminate mistakes.The goal is to make the correction required smaller and smaller. That means recognition of the mistake at the earliest possible moment.

If you recognize your heading error when it is one degree off and correct it immediately you are in much better shape than if you notice when it is 45 degrees off.

The same with ACM. If you go nose high with a bandit at long six, the sooner you realize he has the energy to fly to the elbow and get into guns range, the better. If you realize it once you are below 100 mph and the tracers are zipping past the canopy you are not processing the data efficiently. If you realize the bandit is closing rapidly while you are still above minimum vertical maneuvering speed, you still have options and you head work is getting better.

Mistakes should not be depressing events. They are a constant fact of flying. Even the most modern autopilot is an error recognition and correction machine.

Work to recognize and correct mistakes. Make them tiny. Understand that your mistakes and how you fix them are the sum total of your flying skills.