Author Topic: AUGUST FSO: TACLOBAN TANGO  (Read 5428 times)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
AUGUST FSO: TACLOBAN TANGO
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:18:33 AM »
After the Solomons operations had concluded, most U.S. Marine aviation remained in and around the Solomons areas, or moved north and operated out of the captured airfields of the Nimitz's thrust through the Central Pacific.  Likewise, US Army Air Force resources had been supporting MacArthur's push through New Guinea and into the Phillipines.  Neither service had participated in the same scale of joint operations that had characterized the desperate days of the Cactus Air Force on Guadalcanal in late 1942.  But, due to poor weather and lack of resources on Leyte, 5th Air Force was not able to move as quickly to operate out of the new fields captured during the landings in late October of 1944.  Meanwhile, off the coast of Leyte, Admiral Kincaid's 7th Fleet was being involved in an on-going air and naval battle that was increasing in intensity.  Even after the failed attempt by the Japanese Navy to drive off the invasion force, during the Battle of Leyte Gulf, the Japanese continued to move ships and aircraft throughout the Leyte and Samar island areas to disrupt the allied assault on Leyte, while Kamikaze attacks increased on the ships in San Pedro Bay.  Admiral Kincaid began to feel more exposed and pressed 5th Air Force and General MacArthur for more air cover.  A compromise was reached, when MacArthur ordered Marine Air Group 12 to move to Tacloban, and begin operations under the command of 5th Air Force.  Ultimately, through December 1944 and January 1945, MAG-12, and eventually MAG-14 participated in the second major joint air campaign of the war as they teamed up with 5th Air Force assets to support both 7th Fleet at sea, and 6th Army on Leyte.  This FSO will attempt to recreate the events of December 1944 and January 1945 in the Phillipines.

Frame 1:  7 August, 0800 T-Time
Frame 2:  14 August, 1400 T-Time
Frame 3:  21 August, 1100 T-Time

Aircraft:

USAAF/USMC

F4U-1A (48 Min)
P-38L  (48 Min)
P-40E  (24 Min)
P-47D25 (48 Min) (Sub for P-47D23)
B-25C (16 Min) Formations enabled
A-20 (24 Min)
B-25H (16 Min)

IJA/IJN

A6M5 (Min 96)
Ki-61 (Min 64)
Ki-84  (Min 24)
Bf110C (Sub for Ki-45 / Min 20)
Ki-67 (20 Min) Formations enabled

Rules:

Map:  Luzon
Special Rules:

--Manual calibration will be used for bombers
   --Ship hardness = X3 (3 times as hard to destroy)

Arena Settings:

--Fuel Burn 1.0
   --Icons Short
   --.4 Ack
   --Fighter and Bomber Warning Range 48,000 (~8 nautical miles)
   --Tower Range 48,000 (~8 nautical miles, To Match Warning Range)
   --Visibility 17 Miles
   --Wind speed will vary with altitude and frame.  See Objectives
   --Radar Off
   --Enemy Collisions On
   --Friendly Collisions Off
   --Killshooter Off
   --Takeoff time per frame descriptions above

Task Groups:

(1) Task Groups will consist of the all ships except the CV (i.e. Cruiser and Destroyers only).  They will be placed on
the map by the Frame Objectives (by the Admin, me) but shall be under Allied CIC control during each frame.  See Frame
Objectives each week.

Get your squadron information updated--that includes a 3rd POC for each squad.  If you do not have a 3rd POC, you need to find one, or else you can't modify your squadron information.  That being said, if there's any discussion or Q & A, please post it here...

<S>

Stoney
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: AUGUST FSO: TACLOBAN TANGO
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »
Updated.

:salute
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 09:09:24 AM »
The N1kJ should be there right?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 09:14:03 AM »
412th updated to Axis. But we may up our numbers.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:25:07 AM »
woooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!  :x :x :x
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 01:53:06 PM »
The N1kJ should be there right?

According to my research, no N1K2 participated in this part of the Phillipine campaign.  I couldn't find any reference to the Frank for that matter, but included it for balance as they were being fielded in other places around this time-frame.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 03:49:34 PM »
Bf110C (Sub for Ki-45 / Min 20)
:rofl
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »
According to my research, no N1K2 participated in this part of the Phillipine campaign.  I couldn't find any reference to the Frank for that matter, but included it for balance as they were being fielded in other places around this time-frame.

That, and we're missing just about ALL the IJAAF fighters that WERE there.

Anaxagoras,

I agree with you there. This is why we SERIOUSLY need the Japanese plane set addressed. I find this as amusing as using Ki-61s to fill in for D4Ys in the last setup.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »

HiTech

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »

I think the Frank is a safe bet. I show the 72nd, 73rd, and 200th Sentai operating KI-84s out of the Phillipines.  My source is Japanese Army Air Force Aces 1937-1945 from Osprey publishing.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 06:33:15 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 06:44:02 PM »
I think the Frank is a safe bet. I show the 72nd, 73rd, and 200th Sentai operating KI-84s out of the Phillipines.  My source is Japanese Army Air Force Aces 1937-1945 from Osprey publishing.

I know they were there in theater.  Although certainly not exhaustive, the different resources I have didn't show any of the MAG-12/5th AF aircraft downing or encountering any Franks over the period.  Either way, its a good plane for this setup.  Thanks...   :aok

HiTech

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »
I believe a little research will find that the 201st and 341st Kokutai were in the Phillipines in Late 1944 with N1K1 "George" aircraft.  

Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 07:07:52 PM »
I believe a little research will find that the 201st and 341st Kokutai were in the Phillipines in Late 1944 with N1K1 "George" aircraft.  

But there's a HUGE difference between the N1K1-J, and the N1K2-J that we have. It'd be like substituting F4U-4s in place of the 1A.

Speaking of which, I wonder when the 4 and Charlie Hogs are gonna get some FSO love. Both variants were involved during the time setting of the Okinawa FSO a couple months back....

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 07:23:32 PM »
I know they were there in theater.  Although certainly not exhaustive, the different resources I have didn't show any of the MAG-12/5th AF aircraft downing or encountering any Franks over the period.  Either way, its a good plane for this setup.  Thanks...   :aok

NP just giving you a reference if needed.
<S>

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 07:48:23 PM »
But there's a HUGE difference between the N1K1-J, and the N1K2-J that we have. It'd be like substituting F4U-4s in place of the 1A.

Im game :)
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)