Author Topic: Tried Everything, Skuzzy!  (Read 807 times)

Offline 100hooch

• Copper Member
Tried Everything, Skuzzy!
« on: July 28, 2009, 07:21:28 PM »
Hey, Skuzzy!

I have downloaded the update and the patch. I ran everything as "adminstrator". Turned off Detailed Terrain, Bump Map Terrain, Self-Shadowing. Set the Object Detail all the way to Faster and Terrain Detail to 0.5miles. In the Video Settings, I turned size all the way down to 128. I've turned off skins on other planes, the horizon, etc.  In short, if i could find it, I minimized it!

I am playing on an HP Pavilion dv9715nr 17" laptop with AMD Turion 64x2 processors and an NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/nForce630M video card through a Vista 32bit OS.

That being said, the best frame rate I get is 20fps and it drops to the single digits when I get near anything (planes, bases, even the ground).  What am I missing?  Or, as this machine is all I've got, do I need to just move on?

100Hooch
"It's not our job to die for our country.  It's our job to make the other poor dumb sonofasqueak die for his!" -- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
Re: Tried Everything, Skuzzy!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:29:07 PM »
also check to see if the nvida control panel settings for AH2 the AA settings are set to application controlled too
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »
The 7150 is a very low end video chip.  What game resolution are you running at?  I would imagine 1024x768 would be about the best that chip could handle.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:36:44 PM »
Hey, Skuzzy!

I have downloaded the update and the patch. I ran everything as "adminstrator". Turned off Detailed Terrain, Bump Map Terrain, Self-Shadowing. Set the Object Detail all the way to Faster and Terrain Detail to 0.5miles. In the Video Settings, I turned size all the way down to 128. I've turned off skins on other planes, the horizon, etc.  In short, if i could find it, I minimized it!

I am playing on an HP Pavilion dv9715nr 17" laptop with AMD Turion 64x2 processors and an NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/nForce630M video card through a Vista 32bit OS.

That being said, the best frame rate I get is 20fps and it drops to the single digits when I get near anything (planes, bases, even the ground).  What am I missing?  Or, as this machine is all I've got, do I need to just move on?

100Hooch

Hooch,I believe it is something with Vista rather than the card,people online are saying they are getting FRs of 30-40 compared to the last patch where they got 20-30 with it,of course they are all using XP... I have Vista and an 8800GTS that could EASILY handle this game the last patch,but I,like you,cannot gety an FR beyond 20

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
hooch...I ended up completely uninstalling the game then reinstal using the full 2.141 game installer. I then had to set my nvidia control panel to allow the game to handle anti-aliasing...then I changed my monitor refresh rate to 75hz (all that it will handle at the resolution I'm running) which should be more than adequate...then I opened the game...set the base video settings to my screen resolution and the textures to 512 and left anti-aliasing off...then I went into an arena and started changing the graphics settings in there until my frame rate didn't change more than 1 or 2 frames from all directions...it's stable now.

Make sure your Vista visual performance settings are set to maximum performance (turn off the eye candy and special effects)...that will help.

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 100hooch

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 12:47:59 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys!

I keep poking at it and it is getting a little better, but we're not there yet.

I jacked the Windows performance settings and the solitary FR came up to between 30 and 40.  But as soon as I get into a dogfight or near another plane, FR immediately drops to 10.

Skuzzy, I dropped the game resolution back to 1024 and for whatever reason that blew the FR back to single digits.  I'll try the full uninstall and reinstall route next, if you think it will help, but I'm reluctant.

Thanks again.
"It's not our job to die for our country.  It's our job to make the other poor dumb sonofasqueak die for his!" -- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 04:35:34 AM »
and then, and then, and then....this friggin techno babble blew over my head on the 1st sentence,
and its no help to the likes of the normal PC owning world..

Anti aliasing?....how about negative consumer appreciation, in the form of LOST revenue, for the "upgrades" that make the friggin game look worse than it did before? :x
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 05:10:51 AM »
Try using Game Booster located at www.iobit.com, made a difference for me.   :rock
Proud member of the Ground Pounders. Pounding our way to victory!

Offline chewiex

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 05:56:41 AM »
Try using Game Booster located at www.iobit.com, made a difference for me.   :rock

Works like a champ!!!  :aok :aok  Been using it since its Beta, got the Iobit
"Advanced System Care" program as well, Pro version.

:salute DasChewey
A8Chustr (Formerly A8Chewey, DasChewy) ..for a wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor. Lamb of God, Omerta from "Ashes of the Wake".

Offline 100hooch

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 02:10:18 PM »
Already tried Game Booster.  It brought my base frame rates of to appx 40fps. All of the tings you guys have suggested have helped with initial frame rates, and I appreciate that, but I soon as I drop in on someone, especially in that valley in tank town, the frame rates quickly drop to 10fps.

I know that TT is the worst of all possible situations, but that's what make it the best test bed, right?

Also, in terms of difficult test beds, I was part of the big Rook bomber raid on Bishop HQ. 1-5fps on the runway and vox was unintelligible, sometimes dropping out completely -- local and channel.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be beyond my video card, right?  Once we got to altitude, frame rates settled in the mid-teens -- not good, but as big a problem with no quick manuevers.  Over the target at 25,000 feet, the target itself, the HQ, kept disappearing and reappearing as it wiped in and wiped out during extremely slow refreshes.

Just recording my findings as I come across them.  I appreciate all the help guys and I'm still working the solutions on my end, so keeping feeding your suggestions to me.

Thanks again,
Hooch

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 02:18:30 PM »
Already tried Game Booster.  It brought my base frame rates of to appx 40fps. All of the tings you guys have suggested have helped with initial frame rates, and I appreciate that, but I soon as I drop in on someone, especially in that valley in tank town, the frame rates quickly drop to 10fps.

I know that TT is the worst of all possible situations, but that's what make it the best test bed, right?

Also, in terms of difficult test beds, I was part of the big Rook bomber raid on Bishop HQ. 1-5fps on the runway and vox was unintelligible, sometimes dropping out completely -- local and channel.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would be beyond my video card, right?  Once we got to altitude, frame rates settled in the mid-teens -- not good, but as big a problem with no quick manuevers.  Over the target at 25,000 feet, the target itself, the HQ, kept disappearing and reappearing as it wiped in and wiped out during extremely slow refreshes.

Just recording my findings as I come across them.  I appreciate all the help guys and I'm still working the solutions on my end, so keeping feeding your suggestions to me.

Thanks again,
Hooch

That sort of stuff happens to me when I try to play AH on a laptop,it is either running out of RAM,the graphics card can't handle all of the pilots at once (my first guess), or possibly increased net lag. I can't even get on AH with my desktop now,arenas won't open because I can't get the terrains,I can't re D/L AH right now because of doggone thunderstorms discoing me every few mins,once they're gone I'll give it a shot and see if I can't find anything else out that may help ya.  :salute

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:49:55 PM by Ruler2 »

Offline Scratchman

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »

Thanks again,
Hooch

At first I too thought vox may be the problem with the stutters. But I also noticed that at the time of my stutters I was panning around and using vox. And it seems the majoirty of posts I see involve "panning" and viewing around and/or use of clipboard then experiencing the "stutters". So you got me as well. Game Booster helped some with less stutters, but they are still there. But for me I can use the Windows key and come back to the game with normal graphics and gameplay. Hope there is a fix soon for us all.
Proud member of the Ground Pounders. Pounding our way to victory!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 02:20:30 PM »
This has something to do with the new way AH2141 renders objects...just from what I saw last night on my "good" system it's not caching the data like it used to...my video memory usage was around 232MB at 75 frames running 512 textures at 1440x900 60Hz...now the memory usage is only showing around 90MB...

I noticed there is one thing missing in the video settings with the update...can't remember exactly what it was but it had something to do with caching objects into memory...I had it checked pre update...

When I get home I'm gonna mess with both of my older systems and see what I can figure out...should be interesting.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:26:49 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 02:31:22 PM »
...Skuzzy, I dropped the game resolution back to 1024 and for whatever reason that blew the FR back to single digits...
That's because 1024 x 1024 requires the maximum amount of resources possible. Try 256.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Husky

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 03:07:31 PM »
Hi Skuzzy,

This last update has ruined my frame update rate. The game is no longer fun like this.

I'm running 32 bit Vista SP1 on an HP pavilion m8277c, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.66Ghz, 2GB ram. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS with default settings.

It worked just fine on the previous AH versions, even at the highest detail settings.

Husky