Author Topic: Guess I'm expendable!  (Read 3229 times)

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
Re: Guess I'm expendable!
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 08:57:15 AM »
It is 2009, with all things there must be some "minimum" standard set! For the most part I see most folks are happy with the change, or they will have it figured out in short order! For the peeps clammering about canceling their sub I will say this---> 90% of you will upgrade and return within 6 months, happier than ever  :aok

Some of you are complaining about "nintendo, com 64" graphics, well what do you expect when Y O U R system is no better than a nintendo or com64?   See you back in 6 months  :rock :rock

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:36:00 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Lligaf

• Zinc Member
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2009, 09:46:31 AM »
It is 2009, with all things there must be some "minimum" standard set! For the most part I see most folks are happy with the change, or they will have it figured out in short order! For the peeps clammering about canceling their sub I will say this---> 90% of you will upgrade and return within 6 months, happier than ever  :aok

Some of you are complaining about "nintendo, com 64" graphics, well what do you expect when Y O U R system is no better than a nintendo or com64?   See you back in 6 months  :rock :rock

+1
365TH HELL HAWKS

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2009, 09:58:46 AM »
You don't need a top end computer to run it at max detail, not even close.  Stop with the lies.

Yes, you do need a semi-decent video card, that is all.  Maybe $75-150 and you are all set unless your computer is seriously ancient.

My computer is almost four years old now and runs the game at 1920x1280 and max detail without any problems.

I agree with you Karnak. Only problem is I'm guessing many of the people suffering problems have older AGP motherboards rather than PCI-X boards. Finding any kind of card for them is getting increasingly difficult.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2009, 10:09:45 AM »
IMO the graphics do NOT appear to be an upgrade.  I'm hoping they are prepping for somethign bigger in the future and something in the background is what is causing the big drop for many folks.  But honestly, can you say the graphics look that much better?  I can't.  If anything I see a downgrade. 

I looks like a picture of terrain plastered over a wireframe, with some very sparse trees that look like they were sprayed with shellac for effect.  Doing it wrong comes to mind.  Yes I am very critical of this patch even though I'm not being adversely affected by it. 

I can't agree more.  The new aircraft are easily the best thing about the update.  

The new terrain is too pastel and is too busy; sometimes less is more.  When you get up to altitude it still looks like a bunch of repeating tiles.  The water looks great when you get very low, but it also has a tiled look at low/medium-low altitude.  If anything, a makeover of clouds and lighting might have added a lot more.  The way the sun blocks your vision in an on/off fashion is very poor.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2009, 10:16:57 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of the new ground textures either. Would someone like to tell me why HTC have incorporated trees into the ground textures, then placed 3D trees randomly on top?

If done right, new textures are always a fantastic upgrade. Take the new water texture for example, it looks great.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:19:45 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Daubie

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2009, 12:56:32 PM »
(Reply to top of thread post)

My PC is a Dell Dimension 3000 purchased in 2004.  The build dates back to 2000.  I upgraded to 1 Gig of ram, runs at about 3 GHz, Pentium 4 with 2 processors.  My video card dates back to the Stone Age---a PCI slot (not PCI-e) a Radeon X1300, but better than the integrated video crap that came with it.  I am very limited to what is available to using a PCI slot, not much out there.

I had to uncheck a lot of settings within Aces High to get it to run.  It runs good enough, means WORKAROUND!

Once Windows 7 comes out, I'll get a better PC.  My PC still works good enough for most things except gaming.  I will keep it forever as long as I can still get parts for it.  I have never had it to a shop for any kind of repair, I always figure it out, eventually.  And Dell is not as propriety as people have told me.  I get parts to Best Buy and NewEgg to fix it.

I am not impressed with new update, either.  Maybe better days are ahead.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2009, 01:21:19 PM »

Because the graphics went from very nice on low settings to very awful in the snap of a finger.  So what I expect at the minimum is what I had before.

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2009, 01:31:57 PM »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:38:59 PM by stodd »
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2009, 01:32:21 PM »
I know money is tight right now, but is ~$120 all that hard to come up with?  I admit we aren't doing great with money, but we can scrounge up some money on occasion for something "fun".  $120 can get someone: A motherboard, CPU and RAM that will help vastly with the game, and when you get a little more you can spend another 120-200$ for a Power Supply and Video Card to complete the upgrade.

Will the upgrade be this Uber-elitest Killer Gamer?  No, but it will do dang well for most everything.
Currently I can find (Using some parts I have/will use):

Motherboard:   55-60$
  Type: AMD
  Socket: AM2/AM2+/AM3
  Brand: Biostar

CPU:  55-65$
  Type: AMD (64) X2
  Socket: AM2/AM2+
  Speed: 2.5GHz+

RAM: 25-30$
  Type: DDR2
  Speed: 800MHz

I am using almost those exact parts, and had (upgraded since it died) a 60$ Video card running Beta at 3/4 Settings at 45FR.
With some extra money a Good PSU and Video card:

PSU: 85$  (Can find good ones for less too)
  Type: OCZ
  Power: 700Watt  /  72A on 4x 12v rails

Video Card: 75-150$
  Type: NVidia
  Card: GeForce 9600-9800
  Socket: PCI-E x16

It doesn't take a TilDeath PC to run this game, although I admit he does great work, it just takes some small investments.  Just hope people realize not all PC parts are for just rich people. :salute
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2009, 01:40:07 PM »
Fifteen dollars could feed rice to a family of four, for a month.

If that's a problem, he could use the fifteen dollars on a taxi to the employment office (where he'd find nothing); too bad he didn't graduate high school, go to college, get a master's degree, and be retired, here laughing at the poor, poor, imbeciles.
wow what a tool.
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2009, 02:12:44 PM »
Computers are selling now with free updates to Win-7 when it becomes available. That in itself is no reason not to buy.

(Reply to top of thread post)

My PC is a Dell Dimension 3000 purchased in 2004.  The build dates back to 2000.  I upgraded to 1 Gig of ram, runs at about 3 GHz, Pentium 4 with 2 processors.  My video card dates back to the Stone Age---a PCI slot (not PCI-e) a Radeon X1300, but better than the integrated video crap that came with it.  I am very limited to what is available to using a PCI slot, not much out there.

I had to uncheck a lot of settings within Aces High to get it to run.  It runs good enough, means WORKAROUND!

Once Windows 7 comes out, I'll get a better PC.  My PC still works good enough for most things except gaming.  I will keep it forever as long as I can still get parts for it.  I have never had it to a shop for any kind of repair, I always figure it out, eventually.  And Dell is not as propriety as people have told me.  I get parts to Best Buy and NewEgg to fix it.

I am not impressed with new update, either.  Maybe better days are ahead.

"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline 100hooch

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2009, 02:24:14 PM »
I know money is tight right now, but is ~$120 all that hard to come up with?  I admit we aren't doing great with money, but we can scrounge up some money on occasion for something "fun".  $120 can get someone: A motherboard, CPU and RAM that will help vastly with the game, and when you get a little more you can spend another 120-200$ for a Power Supply and Video Card to complete the upgrade.

Will the upgrade be this Uber-elitest Killer Gamer?  No, but it will do dang well for most everything.
Currently I can find (Using some parts I have/will use):

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahb;lah

Fantatastic! Now tell me how to put them in my laptop!
"It's not our job to die for our country.  It's our job to make the other poor dumb sonofasqueak die for his!" -- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2009, 02:58:33 PM »
He's a pubescent teen actually.

Really?  It's funny how he looks down on those that are having a tough time financially when he's being subsidized by mommy and daddy.  Whatta tool.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Raga

• Zinc Member
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »
ok anybody who cant run this really needs a new computer, really. mine isnt that nice and it runs fine.
Invictus Maneo