Author Topic: Basic help for the computer illiterate  (Read 1056 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Basic help for the computer illiterate
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:00:25 AM »
OK, I understand a lot of you are having issues with the new version of the game.  I understand where you are at as, until about 16 months ago I was playing on a PIII 600 Mhz Dell with 512 Mb of SRAM and a 32 Mb video card.  Even with that I was able to maintain frame rates from 15-35 FPS in the last version of the game so all is not hopeless.  I'm going to try to give you some system maintenence and (heaven forbid...) upgrade tips.

First of all you need to reduce the number of proccesses running in the background.  Don't even think about listening to MP3's or alt-tabbing out to surf the web or play with a spreadsheet while playing the game.  Free all of your limited system resources to run the game.  Turn off all auto-updaters.  Turn off your anti-virus and other security software while playing.  If you're behind a NAT firewall (router) you can also turn off your software firewall.  Turn off system services you don't use (visit www.blackviper.com for a guide to system services).  If you don't know what something is Google it.  There are plenty of articles that will explain what a service is and does.  You need to bring all of this to a minimum.  You can also use utilites such as enditall or Glary utilites to shut down un-needed applications.

Run a virus/spyware/adware/malware scan before shutting these down.

Next, do some system maintenence.  Run scandisc (files and folders only) and let it repair errors.  Run system clean-up.  Delete whatever it finds.  Go to your windows temp folder and delete whatever is there.  Open your web browser and delete cookies, temporary Internet files and history.  Go to add/remove programs in the control panal and delete whatever you don't use anymore.  Check your documents and e-mail and get rid of what you no longer need.  Finally, run defrag.

Open your video card settings utility.  Turn things down.  Then go into the game and in the graphics settings turn more things down.  You'll want to play with all these settings to get the best balance of graphics and playability.

If after all this you're still having issues the cheapest upgrade is to add RAM.  What kind and how much will depend on your system but this is a good bang for the buck upgrade that will run about $20-30.

The next step in upgrades is a new video card.  This will depend on the type of video slots you have and on your power supply which may also need to be upgraded to upgrade the video card.  Decent cards will run $50+ and a new power supply will double that at least.

If you get to the point of upgrading any hardware visit the Harware and Software forms for advice and recommendations.

Hope this helps at least a few of you.  Remember... a clean system is a happy system.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:03:51 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Basic help for the computer illiterate
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 02:03:44 AM »
The next step in upgrades is a new video card.  This will depend on the type of video slots you have and on your power supply which may also need to be upgraded to upgrade the video card.  Decent cards will run $50+ and a new power supply will double that at least.

My mother board only supports 128mb video card.  Heads up, don't buy a new video card unless you make sure your motherboard can process the additional load.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 02:07:07 AM »
My mother board only supports 128mb video card.  Heads up, don't buy a new video card unless you make sure your motherboard can process the additional load.

Which is why I suggested a visit to the HW & SW forums for advice.

Is that an AGP card you're using?  If so you might be able to re-set the video aperture setting in the BIOS and gain a little performance.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 02:31:28 AM »
Which is why I suggested a visit to the HW & SW forums for advice.

Is that an AGP card you're using?  If so you might be able to re-set the video aperture setting in the BIOS and gain a little performance.

Rgr it is AGP.  I've messed with the aperture settings before and never saw an improvement.  This was when I was attempting to play the game with the high res pack.

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:47:56 AM »
Google

Advanced System Care (leave your interent tcp/ip settings alone).

Revo Uninstaller (just run the tools)

Disk Cleanup (in Windows)

Smart Defrag ( in Adanced System Care)

AlacrityPC (set up an AH profile to shutdown un-needed services automatically and start the game)

Task Manager to shut down services AlacrityPC misses or cant.  If you don't know what it is leave it alone and google it like Baldeagle said.

Do any of the above at your own risk.  If you're not sure.... don't do it.

<S>

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 06:08:36 AM »
For cleaning up clogged up older systems, I highly recomend Glary Utilities.

Free to download and use, simple enough for a 6 yr old to run.

But also has a very full featured set of utilities for the advanced user.

Best of all it has a very sweet utility for managing programs that are set to run when windows does.

There are a couple of programs out there for managing processes to fly.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 07:41:22 AM »
Nice post Eagl, should help a good bit for some guys.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »
  Thanks for the constructive info without the snobery. We all need to do our part to make this transition as Painless as possible. A good ground crew is as important as a good pilot.  :salute
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »
Download these two FREE progs. It's helped everyone that has tried it. Look for Advanced system care and game booster. Download and use them both. The memory cleaner works great also.

It will help cure problems ranging from low frame rates, connection and even vox problems...plus it's free

http://www.iobit.com/

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »
SWEET!!!!!! going to try these out later <<S>>

Offline macdp51

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 02:45:44 PM »
Ran CC cleaner for windows and apps, lowered vid card to performance, not quality setting, defragged.
All processes off except 2 to run game.
Frame rate 16-20
Shutdown water (didn't like new water anyway)
Frame rate 24
Shut down terrain (bummer cuz its cool)
Frame rate 25-40 depending on what was in the area, the bigger the fight the slower the frame rate.
Nividia Ge Force 7300Le 512MB
Dell E520 machine
Going to try a few more things -suggestions appreciated - this is fustrating but I'm sure fix able.
Thanks
HP51

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 12:14:30 AM »
things work nice Tool

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 12:26:37 PM »
Where does one find out what size video card ones motherboard supports, and how I know what power supply I should have?
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 12:53:07 PM »
Where does one find out what size video card ones motherboard supports, and how I know what power supply I should have?

It's not so much that the motherboard won't support a card over x size, it's that the technology only reached a certain point.  Did you notice that without him even mentioninig it I recognized his problem a AGP related?

There were various AGP technologies from 2x to 8x and combinations (i.e. 2x/4x and 4x/8x and universal AGP).  Each had it's own type of AGP slot which was keyed to only accept apporpriate cards.  As the technology advanced the cards memory capacities grew, so if you were stuck with an older slot you were limited to that version of AGP technology and it's memory limitations.  The current technology is PCIe (PCI express) but this time PCIe x16 and PCIe x16 2.0 are cross compatible.

To figure out what type of card you can accept look up either your computer model number or your motherboard model number and the slot type will be listed in the specs.  Once you find a card you like go to the manufacturer's web-site to get the power requirements for that card.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:57:35 PM by BaldEagl »

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 01:47:30 PM »
Very helpful for those that need it. Had a friend of mine complaining over squad vox about his game performance, told him to send me a DXDIAG, he had 512 mb of RAM. ;)

I say sticky this thread!
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*