Author Topic: American Air Power Museum to be evicted  (Read 860 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
American Air Power Museum to be evicted
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »
Hello fellow AH'rs,

Recently, the FAA has decided to create additional run-off area at Farmingdale Airport (formally the home of Republic Aviation Corp). To accomplish this, they intend to evict the American Air Power Museum and demolish the historic hanger it now occupies.

The FAA has no intention of assisting the museum in relocating. Inasmuch as virtually all of their aircraft are flyable, a location not adjacent to an airfield is not an option. Knocking down the historic hanger is a travesty all by itself.

Many of us here on Long Island have voiced our great dissatisfaction with the FAA's decision. We have enlisted some help, however. Congressman Steve Israel has managed to get some language into a House bill that would provide funds to relocate the museum to another location on the airport. This bill will be considered by the Senate.

To make sure the language is not removed or altered, Senators needs to hear from their constituents and American aviation enthusiasts.

Please consider an e-mail or phone call to your Senators to help save the museum and the valuable heritage it preserves.

Thanks very much.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Re: American Air Power Museum to be evicted
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
Thanks for the update Widewing.

Tomorrow my first duty is to contact my political representative in the Senate.

Hajo

- The Flying Circus -

Offline dBeav

• Copper Member
      • http://yankeeairmuseum.org
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:34:01 PM »
As a staff member of the Yankee Air Museum I know all about having to move your operation.

The best of luck to everyone there. I will put out the word and try to pick you up some additional support.

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:25:05 PM »
Please guys, the airpower museum here on long island is such an historic sight, i'd really hate to see it go.  :(

I"m to young to voice an opinion but I hope others do!  :salute
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 11:32:42 PM »
Please guys, the airpower museum here on long island is such an historic sight, i'd really hate to see it go.  :(

I"m to young to voice an opinion but I hope others do!
  :salute

Wrong.  Your "politicians" need to hear "young generations" are moved by this history and it doesn't just affect adults.   Send a letter, because these politicians DO NOT want you to send one. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BluTrain

• Copper Member
      • Jagdgeschwader 53
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 01:36:08 AM »

What Masherbrum said - you are never too young to voice an opinion - sure you may not re-elect your Senator but he or she does represent YOU. As such his or her job is to take your opinion into consideration.  NY State Senators can be found at http://www.nysenate.gov/senators US Senators can be found at http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm .

Major 'Technischer Offizier' I/JG53

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 01:44:00 AM »
What Masherbrum said - you are never too young to voice an opinion - sure you may not re-elect your Senator but he or she does represent YOU. As such his or her job is to take your opinion into consideration.  NY State Senators can be found at http://www.nysenate.gov/senators US Senators can be found at http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm .

Subway, send a letter a day if you have to.   Fight for what is meaningful to you and don't ever forget that.   It's obvious from your first post, you enjoy going there.   Now, transpose that into prose and send the letters.   

I used to sit on the Board of Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association.   We oversaw Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.   Try going to DNR Sub-Committee meetings where Full Size wheelers are counted on one hand.   While the ATV/Sledders are numbering past 40 and therefore getting "carte blanche".   Eventually you rally enough troops to make a stand and keep trails open.   Last alone, we opened almost 60 miles of two tracks that were previously off-limits.

Heck, it took a few years to get Drummond Island back open, but we did it.   All of it was done with THOUSANDS of letters, meetings with Congressmen and shucksters only out to make a buck for themselves.   It was easier to "give up", but after awhile you become "driven".   
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:49:37 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 11:18:07 AM »
Wrong.  Your "politicians" need to hear "young generations" are moved by this history and it doesn't just affect adults.   Send a letter, because these politicians DO NOT want you to send one. 

This is very true.  Your letter may mean more to them than any of ours.  Stating the obvious here, but be sure and tell them how old you are and if you have any friends that feel the way. 
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 11:45:51 AM »
Can you give us some information on what House bill this language has been inserted?  I'd like to be able to at least point my representatives in the right direction...
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Stogie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 12:54:30 PM »

Wrong!  It was mostly young folk that helped save the U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides) and the U.S.S. Massachusetts.
80th FS "Headhunters"Nose Art

S.A.P.P.-Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »
Sen. Geo. Voinovichs' Office has been contacted via email.  They stated a response would be forthcoming in the near future.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 06:03:09 PM »
Can you give us some information on what House bill this language has been inserted?  I'd like to be able to at least point my representatives in the right direction...

I've asked the Congressman's assistant for the bill number....

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 09:24:02 PM »

The bill is the 2009 FAA Reauthorization Act (H.R.915)

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 01:21:27 AM »
All you yanks crusading for the safety of historic and beautiful aircraft have my official long range support :D

:salute
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 01:30:01 AM »
What Masherbrum said - you are never too young to voice an opinion

Im sure motherland disagrees ;)
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"