Author Topic: Linux  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Linux
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:31:24 PM »
Hello everyone.

I'm expecting to receive a new computer in the next few days and figured it might be interesting to play around with Linux's dual-boot capabilities. The computer will be a laptop (for reason of travel) containing an Intel T4200 2.00 GHz (Yes I know, terrible processor), 2GB DDR2 800MHz memory, and a 250GB 5400RPM SATA HD.

My intention will be to partition the hard-drive into two or three sectors. Partition 1 will be for Windows 7, Partition 2 for Linux, and if I decide to make a third partition, it will be designated for storage. I'm hoping to use a dual-boot method so that I can switch between Windows 7 and Linux. However, I'm stuck in a bind. My knowledge of Linux's pros and cons are limited.

I would like to know which version of Linux you recommend, why, and how you would configure it to run a dual-boot setup.

Thanks in advance for all the assistance.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Linux
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 05:07:03 AM »
Give Ubuntu a shot I'm pretty much average on the old computer side but found it very easy to use.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 05:43:24 AM »
You can allways try ubuntu first without installing it. Just boot from CD. :aok

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Works fine in my desktop.
I am a spy!

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 08:53:01 AM »
Yes, I was looking into it for a while. Will definitely give it a shot.

I do have another question. One of my more technical friends told me a story about one of his friends. He mentioned that he setup his computer to run Linux and XP. However, he would boot into Linux then run XP. If XP gave him trouble he would hit a key combination and it would switch back to Linux.

That's my interpretation of what he told me. I was wondering if that's a Dual-Boot or if that's some other form of software? Whichever it is, I was hoping to set up something similar so that I can quickly switch between Windows and Linux. Do any of you know what is required for such a setup?
FlameThink.com

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 11:17:30 AM »
On my laptop, I have a partition containing the original Windows XP partition resized down to make room for everything else, a Linux partition (Fedora) that is my "primary" OS,  2 additional partitions (one EXT3 and one NTFS formatted), and I can "dual boot" using GRUB into either. 

I've left the original XP partition virtually untouched, and I generally boot into Linux, where I've installed Sun VirtualBox. Under VirtualBox, I have 3 VM's configured - the XP installation I normally use when I need Windows, a Fedora install in a VM so that I don't have to worry about crashing the whole system if I want to dink around with trying stuff out, and a Vista installation so that I can see what Vista users see when I need to help someone with a Vista issue. 

It's a bit "techy" getting a Grub dual boot set up, but it's way do-able.  The biggest problem in fact was getting WIFI working under Linux.  The USB Verizon EVDO connection which I figured was probably no way, no how - turned out to be no problem at all.

I should probably find time to mess with Ubuntu one of these days, as that seems to be the (disclaimer, in own reserved opinion - don't crucify me if you feel otherwise!!!) distro that is percolating to the surface as the most popular these days - but other things have been taking my time.  (Not an endorsement or judgement on which is better - Fedora, Ubuntu or any other!)

<S>

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:20:40 AM by Ghastly »
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »
Thank you very much Ghastly, that's the information I was after. I will be tinkering around with those options remembering to keep you guys updated.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:30:08 AM by Denholm »
FlameThink.com

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 05:21:50 PM »
The installer for the latest couple of versions of Ubuntu makes dual booting with Windows pretty easy. It's also done a pretty good job of auto recognizing and installing drivers for all the hardware I've thrown at it recently.

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 12:18:41 AM »
The latest version of Ubuntu comes with "Wubi." Wubi installs Linux into a "linux partition file" that is installed into a Windows NTFS partition, and then adds a Linux entry into WINDOWS' own boot loader. In other words, no GRUB or Lilo to worry about. And you can cleanly uninstall Linux from Windows. Speed is just as good as a native install - only Hybernation doesn't work in this way.

This is an even better way to "check out" ubuntu without repartitioning.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 06:04:02 PM »
Well, it took three hours but I finally got Linux installed (Partition nightmares). I went ahead and installed Sun VirtualBox then easily figured out the definition of your word, "techy."Any pointers on getting the virtual system set up?

Another question. Is there an administrative account for Linux? I made a user account via the Ubuntu Installer which automatically grants me administrative privileges. Yet for some reason the, "root" directory is locked claiming I do not have permission to view the it.
FlameThink.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 01:17:05 PM »
Ghastly, did you manage to setup Sun VirtualBox to run an already-installed OS inside the Virtual Machine or did you setup the virtual machine then installed the OS into the virtual machine? Just curious since right now the only way I know how to make this setup work is by installing the OS into the virtual machine.
FlameThink.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 02:30:32 PM »
One of the security features of Ubuntu is that you can never run as administrator. You need to elevate yourself manually each time you want to do stuff (a bit like in Vista) which can be a pain in the butt.

I circumvent this by doing stuff in a shell (actually I run Ubuntu only in a non-graphical server installation).
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 03:54:32 PM »
Ah. I noticed the Vista-like, "Security" with the constant password prompts. Which type of Linux do you feel is more effective/stable?
FlameThink.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 04:06:34 PM »
Ah. I noticed the Vista-like, "Security" with the constant password prompts. Which type of Linux do you feel is more effective/stable?

I'm afraid all of the linuxes will work pretty much the same. Ubuntu does have an artificial limitation to elevating your rights though.

Try Sidux or Mint.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 04:09:20 PM »
Alright. Thanks for the information. I'll continue to tinker with it.
FlameThink.com

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 04:13:50 PM »
To be fair once everything in ubuntu is up and running there is are very few password prompts.