Author Topic: Thoughts on the I16 and the Buffalow  (Read 882 times)

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
Thoughts on the I16 and the Buffalow
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:04:26 PM »
I like both planes, but there are a couple things that set them apart.

Brewster:
Very good plane in terms of turning, if I'm not mistaken, can out turn a Hurri or a zeke, but I haven't found that out yet. No WEP, just like the I16, but it still climbs well. Not to much of a stall, even when flaps are extended. Only downfall of this plane is it's poor guns. You can put a 3 second burst on a plane and not kill it. Takes a lot to kill some thing in it. All in all, very good Early War/Mid War fighter plane, can see why then Eny is at 25.

I16:
Becoming one of my favorite planes in the game, and cannot see why it's at 30 ENY. Although it is an early war fighter, it can stand with a lot of good fighters. Great climb, excellent guns (20mm package), and good turner, not going to say the best. Were it hurts is at it's stall characteristics. Even if you have some speed in a turn fight, you can still stall it pretty bad. I like to call it a pancake stall, but it is pretty easy to get out of, as long as you have at least 800ft.

IMO, even though it has the pancake stall, I16 is my favorite between the two, easy to kill something in it, and fun to fly. I16 my new favorite plane.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Thoughts on the I16 and the Buffalow
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:30:30 PM »
Its also got very short endurance, and the one 20mm package it does have, comes with a pretty short clip.

The interesting thing is seeing it hold its own vs planes several years later, and more powerful, such as the F4u. All things being considered, its a fun addition to the planeset.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 10:31:09 PM »
Brewster:

Very good plane slow has good guns. Climbs ok, turns on a dime and can stick stir like nothing else.

I-16:

Slow plane ok turning little ammo but good guns dives well.

Brewster is my favorite that thing can DIVE!!!!
Strokes

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 10:56:56 PM »
both seem to taste like chicken  :rock
Lighten up Francis

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 11:38:50 PM »
I16 my new favorite plane.

It's a lot of fun, no question about that.  Try the early version, with the four 7.62s.  The armament pack makes a noticeable difference.  Flys rings around most other planes in the dogfighting class, although actually shooting them down takes patience.  Had some very enjoyable fights tonight.

- oldman

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 09:06:03 PM »
Every time I'm on theres swarms of buffalos! theres no escaping them either they go far to slow to start with to get them to overshoot lol, try and extend and there is an alt monkey buffalo diving on you, you slow to avoid his pass other buffalos catch up and spray you to death yarrrghh lmfao! The zero must be spinning in its grave!  :lol

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 10:13:10 PM »
I flew the the I16 and the Buffalo in the Beta but have not a chance to do it in the new release since I have been on vacation.

What I have found out is that I find the I16 to be more to my liking due to it's great turning ability and climb rate and let's not forget the great view around the cockpit area, seems to be better than the Yak. I usually don't take the cannon package so the insta-kills don't typically happen for me making the kills even sweeter. The down sides though are short fuel supply and flight time and you will only want to use flaps sparingly and in short durations. Nothing but fun flying in the I16.

I have had far less time in the Buffalo since the I16 seemed to fit my fighting style much better so I would rather not comment much on the thing with the exception that the darn thing seems to be very sturdy and able to take lots of damage.

All in all I think both can be loads of fun to fly but I would most definitely choose the I16 over the Buffalo and I will be seeing lots of time in both once I can get some time to download the new version.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 10:33:49 AM »
I put the Brewster's turn fight to the test. I was flying the Hurri1 and the zeke, and sure enough, beat both of them in a turn fight. Here are the two films, first of the Hurri, second of the Zeke.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tzmvuambzmq

http://www.mediafire.com/?zfmkmlnjyon
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 03:14:59 PM »
It's a lot of fun, no question about that.  Try the early version, with the four 7.62s.  The armament pack makes a noticeable difference.  Flys rings around most other planes in the dogfighting class, although actually shooting them down takes patience.  Had some very enjoyable fights tonight.

- oldman

Had a really good and fun fight with you in EW the other day and you were in that little bugger.  The p39 can't quite hang with it. Good stuff!

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 04:06:04 PM »
Had a really good and fun fight with you in EW the other day and you were in that little bugger.  The p39 can't quite hang with it. Good stuff!

Yup, that was one of the fights I was talking about!  Good to see you again after all these years.

- oldman

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 06:53:08 PM »
I like both planes, but there are a couple things that set them apart.

Brewster:
Very good plane in terms of turning, if I'm not mistaken, can out turn a Hurri or a zeke, but I haven't found that out yet. No WEP, just like the I16, but it still climbs well. Not to much of a stall, even when flaps are extended. Only downfall of this plane is it's poor guns. You can put a 3 second burst on a plane and not kill it. Takes a lot to kill some thing in it. All in all, very good Early War/Mid War fighter plane, can see why then Eny is at 25.
The Brewster has the same .50 cals as the American planes, so I fly it like I would a Wildcat. I keep the nose down for the first parts of the fight, then pop flaps and let my guns do the talking with a 1 second burst at less than 200.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 06:21:06 AM »
I had a I16 dive in on me last night and was pinging the crap out of me from 400 out and I got no damage what so ever. Those guns in the I16 are worthless IMO.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 06:37:23 AM »
I had a I16 dive in on me last night and was pinging the crap out of me from 400 out and I got no damage what so ever. Those guns in the I16 are worthless IMO.

You're lucky you weren't hit by a couple 20mm's then
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 07:04:25 AM »

That's because he was firing from too far out.  People who fly the eight-gun British fighters often make the same mistake.  Rifle caliber guns are virtually useless beyond 200 yards; so, if that's what your plane has, it just doesn't pay to start shooting unless you're right up against the other guy.

And at that point, the guns work pretty well.

- oldman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 03:52:18 PM »
I think I hold the record with a 9 kill sortie in the I-16, at the moment. All Air-to-air kills. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com