Author Topic: Missed the p38 clinic. really want a vid!  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Raga

• Zinc Member
Missed the p38 clinic. really want a vid!
« on: August 05, 2009, 01:22:37 AM »
unfortunately i missed the clinic on the 38. believe me if i wasn't on the road i would have not missed it for the world! please if anybody was there and recorded the video can you post it. i am so interested in this bat, and in gaining insight from some of the best sticks to fly it. thats pretty much my number 1 hope in aces high at this point.

p.s. if ur a 38 master and happen to read this post and want to show me a thing or 2, don't be shy  :aok
Invictus Maneo

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Missed the p38 clinic. really want a vid!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 09:09:04 PM »
Did someone get the film to you?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 09:10:29 PM »
I havn't seen it posted anywhere, was it?

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 09:17:31 PM »
To the best of my knowledge a film of the session hasn't come to light yet.  I had filmed it but like an idiot I hit "cancel" instead of "save" at the end of the flight and lost it.

I think I remember the most of the topics that were covered and I'd be willing to take some time and go over it with anyone just PM me in game and we can pop over to the TA. 

IIRC the topics were

Fuel
Convergence
Dual Throttle (ie does it really help?)
Trim: Combat vs manual
Skidding and cross controlling
Dive recovery
Snap Rolls

That's all I can think of, but I may be missing something, I'd be happy to go over any of these with anyone in the TA.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
I haven't seen it posted yet. I recorded the whole thing only to routinely hit cancel rather than save.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 09:35:39 PM »
Delirium said he will post the text of the session. Most of it was text anyway. I filmed but I discoed halfway through the good part, so no film.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:05:05 AM »
To the best of my knowledge a film of the session hasn't come to light yet.  I had filmed it but like an idiot I hit "cancel" instead of "save" at the end of the flight and lost it.

I think I remember the most of the topics that were covered and I'd be willing to take some time and go over it with anyone just PM me in game and we can pop over to the TA. 

IIRC the topics were

Fuel
Convergence
Dual Throttle (ie does it really help?)
Trim: Combat vs manual
Skidding and cross controlling
Dive recovery
Snap Rolls

That's all I can think of, but I may be missing something, I'd be happy to go over any of these with anyone in the TA.

Just curious about skidding&cross controlling. If you've got some time tomorrow...
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:23:32 AM »
There's a decent chance I'll be online tomorrow, I tend to grab game time when the opportunity presents itself and rarely can say for certain ahead of time.  But if I do make it on I'd be happy to.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »
I haven't seen it posted yet. I recorded the whole thing only to routinely hit cancel rather than save.

ok......that's it!!!!!!

public lashing with a wet linguini noodle for BOTH of you!!!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Raga

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 03:18:44 PM »
wow i cant believe people finally responded to my topic, no i still havent learned about thos topics in the 38
Invictus Maneo

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »
What exactly is cross-controlling?
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 07:52:59 PM »
What exactly is cross-controlling?

cross controlling is how you enter un-coordinated flight. it's like doing a forward slip.

imagine you're on final aproach to the runway......but there's a 10kt wind directly from your right. if you fly with your nose pointed the way you're flying, the wind'll blow you off to the left. so to counter this, you dip your right wing into the wind. but now, your airplane wants to point the nose that way, so you use left rudder. now, you're flying with your nose straight, but your right wing dipped into the wind, thus countering its effects.

you could also do the same thing to bleed speed and alt very very quickly on ........you're 2k alt, need to get on the ground fast.........full right rudder, then just enough opposite aielron to counter, and keep you going where you want to go. but this time, your nose will probably be pointed about 10 degrees to the right of your flight path.

i think i've seen guys do that to get shots too......and to force an attacker to overshoot, as when you do this, the whole side of your aircraft becomes an airbrake.

i think i got that out of my head right.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 09:40:50 PM »
Is there any chance of having more clinics? I had to work the saturday Del had the class.
I have tons of questions about the 38, trimming it out in a knife fight is my biggest one. And after 3 or 4 years mainly flying the 51, I've got into the bad habit of going everywhere high and fast. I've gotten to the point in my game where there's things i want to do, that a pony just can't.

The thing with me and B38s is the more I think I know about them the more I make big holes in the ground
Lighten up Francis

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »
Ah yes, CAP, I see. Sounds like a broad term for difficult maneuvers haha.

I'm still learning how to do those maneuvers properly myself; I've used much rudder to grab off-angle shots myself, but I'm still very crap at using sideslips as a defensive maneuver. I usually just get shot down using sideslipping maneuvers.

To give you an idea of how noob I am:
 In fact, it was just recently that I figured out the P-38's ailerons are still highly effective at high, buffet-inducing AoA. This realization has allowed me to turn tighter without having gravity spin me into the ground, but it takes some mastering. I used to use rudder to counter the gravity-induced spin while turning at an angle but that just spun me in the other direction.

Always learning in the P-38.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 10:56:31 PM »
Ah yes, CAP, I see. Sounds like a broad term for difficult maneuvers haha.

I'm still learning how to do those maneuvers properly myself; I've used much rudder to grab off-angle shots myself, but I'm still very crap at using sideslips as a defensive maneuver. I usually just get shot down using sideslipping maneuvers.

To give you an idea of how noob I am:
 In fact, it was just recently that I figured out the P-38's ailerons are still highly effective at high, buffet-inducing AoA. This realization has allowed me to turn tighter without having gravity spin me into the ground, but it takes some mastering. I used to use rudder to counter the gravity-induced spin while turning at an angle but that just spun me in the other direction.

Always learning in the P-38.

yep.

i mostly use the slips and cross controlling for getting rid of alt fast. i still suck at using them for anything else.

in rl, one of the hardest things for me to learn, was cross controlling her when landing in crosswinds.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"