Author Topic: How about a Sherman Tank?  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
How about a Sherman Tank?
« on: November 30, 2001, 12:35:00 PM »
This is bound to be a repeat request. I wonder how hard it would be to model a Sherman? It could suffice for a British tank too .... plenty served. *ShruG*

It'd be great for scenarios.  :)

Hammerhead

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2001, 12:48:00 PM »
Personally, I would prefer a faster light tank like a M24 chaufee. In AcesHigh people don't wanna wait for ever to get to the action, to find that its all over when they get there   :p

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Hammerhead ]

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2001, 12:59:00 PM »
Hammerhead,

Your request was already granted. The M8 has the same firepower as the Chaffee, about the same armor and is faster than the Chaffee was. I also like the Chaffee, I thought it was a neat small tank but hardly a real battlefield contender in a tnak battle. It was a good semi hard scout though.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2001, 07:20:00 PM »
Which is what I was thinking. Even though it paled in comparison to a Tiger, the Sherman would at least be a main battle tank and while an extra 15 mph is nice, I hardly think it'll make getting into the fight THAT much quicker. Terrains designed for land combat will achieve that much more efficiently. Also, variants would span the vehicle from early to late war.

Personally I like the Stuart .... but I think the Sherman is a more practical addition to the game at this point.  

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Arlo ]

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2001, 07:23:00 PM »
Maverick, the M24 Chaffe has much better armament than an M8.

The M8 has a 37mm gun.

The M24 has a 75mm gun. This was developed from the same cannon used in B25Hs.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2001, 07:34:00 PM »
That it did ... 75 mm M6. The Sherman (well, most variants) had a 75mm m3 ... twice as many rounds ... and armor that was 4 times as thick. At the sacrifice of 15 mph or so. Also ... the Chaffee didn't come out until April, 1944 - which cuts it out of N. Africa camps. I'll take the Sherman.  :)

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2001, 10:41:00 PM »
As much as admiting that another US unit should be added makes we want to hurl all over my keyboard, I think the Sherman is a likely contender solely based on the fact that it has a AA gun. the T34 would be a better tank but it has no AA gun, I think that this fact alone is going to be a limiting factor governing the adaption of all future AH vehicals.look at the M8, the Puma is a much better AC but it has no AA gun,theirfore we get the M8.

M24 would be cool though.

How about a Firefly, instead of your run of the mill Sherman?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2001, 10:52:00 PM »
Nearly all fireflies never carried a .50cal MG, they only had the 7.62mm Browning as roof MG.

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2001, 11:12:00 PM »
How about a T-34 since we have a lot of american stuff already and the poor russians have so little  :)  The T-34 was the greatest tank of WW2 IMO.  SO great that some nations still have late versions of it in their inventory today!!!!! plus with our Panzer IV already it would be perfect for Eastern Front tank battles which is where the tank war was REALLY fought.  That's where the Tiger was able to use it's superior range to it's advantage.  A lot of where the tank battles in the Soviet Union were foughter were on Steppes, look at the game Il-2 for expample, perfectly flat land perfect for tank battles.  I'd like to See Tigers Vs. T-34s and Kv-1s someday  :D

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2001, 11:14:00 PM »
oh plus some will argue that the T-34 is useless cause it doesn't have a gun on the roof.  To tell you the truth I honestly don't care about a AA gun.  Oh wow 1 7.62 mm machine gun RUN IN PHEAR ENEMY PLANES! even 1 12.7MM would be weak against a plane.  All it needs to do is dive bomb or fire rockets/large caliber guns and your royally screwed

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2001, 11:19:00 PM »
That's fine too. Just a decent opponent to the Panzer IV. It'd be nice to have some better ground combat line-ups for scenarios.

And later on down the road ... when there's a Spanish Civil War planeset ... some T-26s, BT-5s, Panzer Is and IIs and L-3s.  ;)

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2001, 02:09:00 AM »
S!

Canadian Fireflys had mostly .50 cals.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2001, 10:27:00 AM »
Soviet I would tend to agree, i just don't think HTC will agree, why esle would we get the M8 instead of the Puma?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2001, 12:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ:
Maverick, the M24 Chaffe has much better armament than an M8.

The M8 has a 37mm gun.

The M24 has a 75mm gun. This was developed from the same cannon used in B25Hs.

Grun,

Yup yer right. That's what I get for relying on a "senior moment" instead of looking it up on the book I have on a shelf right behind my puter chair!  :(

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2001, 04:05:00 PM »
Here's a pretty neat online resource for those of us who are book-poor (no offense, I envy someone who's managed to collect a nice resource library.  :)

OnWar.com