Author Topic: Stop dropping FHs....  (Read 18719 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Stop dropping FHs....
« Reply #390 on: August 16, 2009, 08:15:35 PM »
Interesting point.  In real life the pilots dreaded flying and died in droves.  I saw an interview where an old WW2 pilot said flying was analogous to riding the bumper cars at the county fair;  Rickety, cheap and unpredictable, but adding 500 gallons of gasoline into the mix.  I doubt there was ever a discussion of 'you stolt my kill' and now it won't say I landed 2 kills!

UPTOWN has it correct above.  There isn't some conspiricy out there to ruin other's fun.  My guess is bomber or fighter guys just drop FH to see them go KABLOOOWEEE!!! 

Quit your whining, you know who you are.

Suggest you do a bit of reading on fighter pilots and possibly try and talk to a few.  You might understand the mentality better.

And if you are serious in your suggestion that people drop FHs just to see them go boom, then you clearly don't get it, but also have found a reason to justify your sefishness within the game.

You'll wreck if you can, regardless of the impact it might have on numerous other players because it's your dime

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #391 on: August 16, 2009, 08:18:49 PM »
I've called many of these types "selfish" for a couple years now.   I'm glad others are starting to see it as well. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #392 on: August 16, 2009, 08:27:35 PM »
I've called many of these types "selfish" for a couple years now.   I'm glad others are starting to see it as well. 

The beauty of an online flight sim is we get to actually compete against real people.  I'd much rather let folks know I'm coming so that they're ready on the other side too.  The best competition is the even fight.

There is no war to win, because it only starts over.  I understand folks like to hit the feeder bar and get their treat the easiest and fastest way possible.  And I know that no matter what, there will always be people who try and cover their real life insecurities by being the biggest cyber tough guy and bully in the cartoon world.

But this isn't real life, no one is dying, the future of the world is not at stake.  Getting a chance to compete against other folks in our cartoon airplanes is why many of us play.  Having someone deliberately try and wreck that 'because they can' is nothing but selfish.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #393 on: August 16, 2009, 08:27:40 PM »
Interesting point.  In real life the pilots dreaded flying and died in droves.  I saw an interview where an old WW2 pilot said flying was analogous to riding the bumper cars at the county fair;  Rickety, cheap and unpredictable, but adding 500 gallons of gasoline into the mix.  I doubt there was ever a discussion of 'you stolt my kill' and now it won't say I landed 2 kills!

UPTOWN has it correct above.  There isn't some conspiricy out there to ruin other's fun.  My guess is bomber or fighter guys just drop FH to see them go KABLOOOWEEE!!! 

Quit your whining, you know who you are.

funny you say that.

i know/knew a few pilots.

our r/c club has/had a few.

2 years ago, we lost joe cardimone. he was a top turret gunner/engineer on a b17
 last year we lost bob emme. he flew p51's, and i think p47's. he also got to test fly most of the german aircraft after the war.

we still have tom perkins. he flew p51's.

we still have dick barton. he flew phantoms in viet nam.

not a single one of these heros EVER said they feared flying. not a one. in fact, dick has a super decathalon........which he actually flies. he uses it the way an aerobatic plane like it should be flown........but he does so high enough to be safe too.

they all loved their aircraft. one of them to the point, that when he had to give her up, he actually cried. somehow i don;t think that came from fear or hate.

i love these guys....and miss the ones we've lost. i have one of bob's models(it's an extra 300) hanging in my office in his memory.

as for cheap and rickety?

from every warbird i've ever seen, i call bs on that too.

those aircraft(both allied, and axis) were marvels of engineering. they did what was needed, and they did it well.
did you ever look at the hydrualic system or the electrical system on a b17? or a p51? or a spitfire? they're beautiful.

then there's the engines. the pratt and whitney radials ran forever. so did the allisons, and rolls royce merlins.
 then there's the damiler benze engines that the germans used.

we all know there's no conspiracy. the problem is when someone decides that the hangars where the big fight is need to be dropped. even when asked not to.
 if you were asked to not touch a base, and had a choice of 20 others, why would you feel the need to bother the one you were asked not to?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:31:19 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #394 on: August 16, 2009, 08:30:54 PM »
the future of the world is not at stake. 

That's where your wrong. Doom's Day (Server Crash) occurred one time 5 seconds after I refused to take down a hangar in my Spit 9.  :noid

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #395 on: August 16, 2009, 08:40:45 PM »
There is no war to win, because it only starts over.  I understand folks like to hit the feeder bar and get their treat the easiest and fastest way possible.  And I know that no matter what, there will always be people who try and cover their real life insecurities by being the biggest cyber tough guy and bully in the cartoon world.

But this isn't real life, no one is dying, the future of the world is not at stake.  Getting a chance to compete against other folks in our cartoon airplanes is why many of us play.  Having someone deliberately try and wreck that 'because they can' is nothing but selfish.

I wonder why this thread has made it to page 27?
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #396 on: August 16, 2009, 08:41:10 PM »
Well I'm new to Aces High and everyone will probably love my answer :furious.  In an operation order there is what is known as commanders intent.  That might be a simple as destroying fuel and munitions at an airfield to ground the fighter opposition.  Now if you can't hit all the fuel and ammo points you can not fulfill the commanders intent.  Now If I bomb the 2 fighter hangers it accomplishes the commanders intent because it neutralizes the fighter opposition in the area.  Different target same results.

You dont know what your talking about....destroying fuel and ords dont ground fighters  :huh.... what type of airfield has 2 fighter hangers?  :huh
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #397 on: August 16, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »
The beauty of an online flight sim is we get to actually compete against real people.  I'd much rather let folks know I'm coming so that they're ready on the other side too.  The best competition is the even fight.

Alright, that's it!!  Court Martial!!

Signed,
Supreme Strategic Commander
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:54:31 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #398 on: August 16, 2009, 08:52:58 PM »

Signed,

Co Signed,
Supreme Strategic Commander Fanboi #1

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:57:17 PM by TonyJoey »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #399 on: August 16, 2009, 08:53:48 PM »
Most people in a furball couldn't care less about score/perks/win the war. They just want to have fights/fun <---- these mean the same thing to a furballer. Does it bother you so much that there are 30-60 people having fun while your "working" on taking another base?
I don't take bases...I'll drop bombs on them once in a while, especially if someone wants bombs dropped on them...I'll even get into a furball...doesn't matter to me...it doesn't matter to most of the players and you won't find me and most of the "mature" players in these forums squeaking about some total b.s. nonsense of how a group of people "spoiled my fun".

If someone wants to treat the game as a "sim" instead of "toon fighter" they can...to them it's a war (without the risks)...it's not up to you or any other 1337 uber pile-it to tell them they're wrong. Play your game, fight your fight and let the others play theirs.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #400 on: August 16, 2009, 09:04:52 PM »

Signed,

Co Signed,
Supreme Strategic Commander Fanboi #1

(Image removed from quote.)
Soldier, that's just the kind of commitment this War is in Need of!  I hereby reward you with the Very Honorable Distinguished Medal of Strategic Endowment, 1st class!

Wear it with pride!!

Signed,
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #401 on: August 16, 2009, 09:05:40 PM »
Maybe part of the reason town bombing is ignored is because that payoff is not so visual? Have always wondered why the town doesn’t burn and smoke like hell when it is bombed? Instead it just leaves skeletal buildings that can only be admired up close and personal. Maybe if the town burned like a fuel depot those buffin pyro-maniacs would get more pleasure in bombing the hell outa the towns?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:40:48 PM by Mugzeee »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #402 on: August 16, 2009, 09:07:16 PM »
I don't take bases...I'll drop bombs on them once in a while, especially if someone wants bombs dropped on them...I'll even get into a furball...doesn't matter to me...it doesn't matter to most of the players and you won't find me and most of the "mature" players in these forums squeaking about some total b.s. nonsense of how a group of people "spoiled my fun".

If someone wants to treat the game as a "sim" instead of "toon fighter" they can...to them it's a war (without the risks)...it's not up to you or any other 1337 uber pile-it to tell them they're wrong. Play your game, fight your fight and let the others play theirs.

No one is arguing that point Gyrene.  What is being discussed is those who deliberatly grief a fight just because they can.  All the furball guys are doing is trying to play their game.  They're not out hunting bombers or calling out inbound raids to the other side to stop the bomber guys from having their fun.  The map is big enough for both games to exist.

No one is claiming to be an uber pilot.  Where that comes from I have no idea.  I won't interfere with the war winners.  All I ask is that they don't interfere with me.  It is possible to make this happen.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #403 on: August 16, 2009, 09:19:54 PM »
I know there were many German pilots who very much enjoyed running up their scores, and did not 'dread' flying. Many had to be forced out of action by the higher-ups in the Luftwaffe because they didn't want to stop. Hartmann actually had to get the help of some of his fellow pilots, as they were going to ground him after his 301st kill (they didn't want to lose a national hero), but he wanted to continue flying... This is after he was shot down several times, and even captured. He also turned down being transferred to JV44 to fly the Me 262, he wanted to stay with JG52... although this ended up with him getting captured by the Soviets and being falsely imprisoned for 10 years.

I doubt there was ever a discussion of 'you stolt my kill' and now it won't say I landed 2 kills!
Actually, I can think of at least one specific instance of where this actually happened, more or less.

The generalizations you're making based on  a single airman's experience are... pretty far reaching and inaccurate.

Offline Grape

• Nickel Member
      • http://promoteitright.com/Site/82nd/
« Reply #404 on: August 16, 2009, 09:20:36 PM »
Wow, this has been one heck of a thread. This thread should die now. Oh, and Mister Supreme Ultimate Uber Kommander Heir Moot, can I have an award, too?  :salute
This is a test