Author Topic: When you gotta go...  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
When you gotta go...
« on: August 10, 2009, 04:16:02 AM »

Suddenly the topic sprang up in my mind...

When you gotta go, you gotta go, right?

How common was the pilot relief tube system amongst the aircraft of WW2?

It'd be interesting to see how many of our AH planes were equipped with such considerations for the pilot.

I'm guessing probably most of the bombers had them.. but small fighter aircraft...??

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: When you gotta go...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:09:45 AM »
Based on comments I've seen from P-51 pilots, I am guessing the P-51 did not have any such system.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 01:14:23 PM »
I believe the P-47 had one, but it froze over at altitude, same for the P-51, as I vaguely remember Chuck Yeager talking about how they froze over, causing the pilots to go before take off, otherwise they would have to hold it. From Yeager, the autobiography.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Grendel

• Silver Member
      • http://www.compart.fi/icebreakers
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 01:47:25 PM »
Interestingly, from my talks with Finnish pilots, they told that the American built fighters did have relief tubes, others not. Those that didn't have included Me 109, MS 406, Fiat G-50 for example. On the other hand, Curtiss Hawk 36 and Brewster did have pissing tubes.

Bombers, perhaps surprisingly, didn't seem to have those, though. Blenheims didnt. Ju-88s/Dorniers, I don't know. British had interesting experiences with jammed bomb days until they noticed that the crew  werepissing in bomb bay - and the piss froze the bomb doors, that wouldn't then open...

Or perhaps the tubes on the earlier B17s were poorly located, so the crew thought it easier to do their needs elsewhere.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 03:01:10 PM »
Based on comments I've seen from P-51 pilots, I am guessing the P-51 did not have any such system.

Actually there's a chance the 51 did, in Anderson's book there's a passage where he talks about the relief tube.  It was there, but at altitude moisture would get in the there and freeze frequently, and the hassle of actually using it considering how many layers of clothing they wore usually meant that he just didn't bother.  I'll see if I can find the specific passage when I get home from work.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline TheAce

• Copper Member
      • ~The Guardians~ Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 03:11:37 PM »
Wasn't there just a small hatch by the tail wheel in the B17 where you could just set your butt down and let it all out in view of the tail gunner?
It is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Squad CO of ~The Guardians~ - RECRUITING

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 03:51:02 PM »
Being somewhat of a slow work day, I scanned through the different aircraft sections of America's Hundred Thousand, and of all the fighter types deployed the only one that didn't mention a relief tube being furnished with the aircraft was the F6F.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »
Wasn't there just a small hatch by the tail wheel in the B17 where you could just set your butt down and let it all out in view of the tail gunner?
It was a small toilet actually. And I think that was in the G and after, though I would think that your posterior region would freeze to the seat.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »
Suddenly the topic sprang up in my mind...

You wouldn't happen to have been sitting in traffic would you?
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »
We should all get those for out AH2 gaming rigs :aok. No more "away from keyboard" messages.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 05:51:07 PM »
You wouldn't happen to have been sitting in traffic would you?

Actually, there was a debate on how the pilots took care of their bladders and bowels, in a small local web community on military history that I am a part of. The topic came up when someone mentioned how medieval knights took care of business during battles - just pis*ing and shi*ing in armour, right on top of a horse... and how the squires and attendants would have to clean it up after the master returned smelling like crap (literally).

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »

51s had a relief tube.  Classic story was the pilot who didn't want to hassle with having to undo everything during a flight.  he instead taped the relief tube to his 'joystick'.  He didn't really notice anything until he got to altitude when things starting to feel cold, then numb.  The relief tube of course vented to outside the fuselage.  By the time he got back to base he was in great pain as things had frozen, unfrozen and swollen up so that the relief tube had to be cut off.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 07:36:42 PM »
OUCH!!!!, bet that made for a long flight :cry

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 12:43:35 PM »
Poor guy. That must have SUCKED!
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »
im thinking you should be able to take a leak out of the waist gunner position.

as long as youre not at 25k.

just after takeoff or just before landing.