Author Topic: "FIRE ON THOSE TORPEDOES"  (Read 264 times)

Offline shaunmcl

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
      • http://donthave1dotcom
"FIRE ON THOSE TORPEDOES"
« on: December 02, 2001, 06:49:00 PM »
Its no use doing this in aces high if a topedo is on target your screwd.So why not add the ability to shoot them out off the water "just like in rel life"

Offline Durr

• Copper Member
      • http://us.geocities.com/ghostrider305
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2001, 11:11:00 PM »
You would have a tough time shooting torpedoes in real life once they were in the water.  They would be normally set to run at varying depths, a common setting being 8-10 feet.  Bullets, even hi calibre or hi velocity ones do not penetrate very deep into water, due to waters natural resistance to compression. A common rifle calibre bullet, for example lose most of their velocity after only about 2 feet depth.  Also, at shollower angles of firing most bullets will deflect off the surface of the water rather than penetrating.
Killing a torpedo would be almost impossible in real life becuase of these problems.  The only way that it might possibly be done would be to detonate a shell near the torpedo, such as from a 5 inch gun.  I suppose there is a possibility that the concussion from the explosion might detonate the torpedo early.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2001, 12:31:00 AM »
Given how hard it is to successfully torpedoe a ship in AH already I think this is a bad idea.

Sorry, but that is the way I see it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2001, 01:06:00 AM »
This thing has always bothered me:

Were WW2 time torpedoes really slower than PT boats? I thought torpedoes traveled at minimum of 40kts even back then.