Author Topic: Squad Ranks (What does it mean)  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
Re: Squad Ranks (What does it mean)
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 08:54:27 AM »

just like individual scores, they can be manipulated, and the game is fairly easy to game, to improve your standings.

Believe me I have manipulated mine and it is only possible over a limited range. To be a top100 pilot you  have to be very good.

Nothing personal but there are allot of players in this game who arn't as good as they think they are and score is a good indicator of that. Not every month and all the time mind but if you cant make the top 500 say at the end of any given tour when you try (and I cant) you arnt so great and dont think you are ;)

If the squad score was arrived at in an understandable manner that made sense it might take the strut out of a few of the squads who think they have what it takes. TBH honest other than squad score HTC has a very good system. If someone starts giving THE BIG I AM in fighters and its mid tour and there on 2000+ to me thast tells me allot more than squat ;) :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:58:56 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 08:56:57 AM »
Believe me I have manipulated mine and it is only possible over a limited range. To be a top100 pilot you  have to very good.

Nothing personal but there are allot of players in this game who arn't as good as they think they are and squad is a good indicator of that. Not every month and all the time mind but if you cant make the top 500 say at the end of any given tour when you try (and I cant) you arnt so great and dont think you are ;)

never said i thought i was good.

i'm ok. sometimes. my gunnery sucks. my handling of the p38 is just slightly better than sucking.

but i don't care. i have fun at it. that's all i care about.

this is my temporary escape from reality.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 09:01:32 AM »
To be a top100 pilot you  have to very good.

Not true at all IMO. A monkey with half a brain could do it if he WANTED to. It's all about watching and playing to the right numbers. Trust me.. I suck and did this a few years back just to see how high i could get ranked and it didn't take much effort at all. When I cracked the top 100 quit easily I just stopped because watching your score every day is boring as hell to me. Doesn't mean jack squat in the end and takes the fun away. :aok :salute

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 09:04:08 AM »
never said i thought i was good.

i'm ok. sometimes. my gunnery sucks. my handling of the p38 is just slightly better than sucking.

but i don't care. i have fun at it. that's all i care about.

this is my temporary escape from reality.

Well if your not good how can you tell what it means?

By all means have fun  :salute

Score is what makes me keep looking over my shoulder and that makes me a better fighter pilot, It works for me in the abscence of blood and incinerated flesh. Its not fun for me to do the same thing poorly over and over again. Ill put myself in harms way for a squaddie but i won't commit suicide. Tht de-values the game, if there is nothing to lose their is nothing to play for :)
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 09:05:05 AM »
Not true at all IMO. A monkey with half a brain could do it if he WANTED to. It's all about watching and playing to the right numbers. Trust me.. I suck and did this a few years back just to see how high i could get ranked and it didn't take much effort at all. When I cracked the top 100 quit easily I just stopped because watching your score every day is boring as hell to me. Doesn't mean jack squat in the end and takes the fun away. :aok :salute

I mean top 100 fighter at the end of the tour.

Its a good system.

Kills per hour and kills per sortie v Kill to death ratio.

Accuracy is good to

Points is more a function of time and not such a good inidcator but it stops people declaring after a lucky streak.

No average pilot can get anywherre near the top 100 stop deluding yourself :rolleyes:

(or tell me your secrets :lol)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:08:42 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 09:15:08 AM »
Well if your not good how can you tell what it means?

By all means have fun  :salute

Score is what makes me keep looking over my shoulder and that makes me a better fighter pilot, It works for me in the abscence of blood and incinerated flesh. Its not fun for me to do the same thing poorly over and over again. Ill put myself in harms way for a squaddie but i won't commit suicide. Tht de-values the game, if there is nothing to lose their is nothing to play for :)

because i've manipulated my score in the past.

i've seen others get so consumed in trying to get and maintain a good score, they'll do pretty close to anything they have to do. they generally become un-fun fights....if you can get them to fight at all.....
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 09:17:34 AM »
Not true at all IMO. A monkey with half a brain could do it if he WANTED to. It's all about watching and playing to the right numbers. Trust me.. I suck and did this a few years back just to see how high i could get ranked and it didn't take much effort at all.

And you trust me - the utter majority of players never could get there even if they tried.
You may just underestimate your own skills compared to the average AH player. Of course we tend to compare ourselves to the true masters that can easily beat us every time we meet them - but that's maybe 1% of AH population.

Keep in mind - the average AH player doesn't get even close to having a K/D of 1.0. Most people overestimate the "average"

Rank is a bad way to objectively tulips a players skill level... but you can't get to top 100 with above abverage skills. Which doesn't eman you do not suck compared to the true "aces" here ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 11:14:02 AM »
He is right I think it was tour 112 I tried to get a good fighter rank or something and I mainly flew the LA-7 and ended up ranked like 39, it was much harder than being #1 attack or gv.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 11:20:41 AM »

Rank is a bad way to objectively tulips a players skill level... but you can't get to top 100 with above abverage skills. Which doesn't eman you do not suck compared to the true "aces" here ;)

Bad is a comparitive in my opinion in this context especially. We have no other remotely objective measure I would say ITS flawed but actually not even that. This game is a kind of model of a reality. A good pilot as in skilled might get several kills against the odds and succumb. A good fighter pilot in reality is one who makes it out alive and score rewards you for this.

I think a good all round pilot will have a good score though they may not be the most aggrssive or skilled. Thats my opinion based on my admitedly limited experience.   
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 11:21:11 AM »
First thing you need to do is get rid of Floatsup...he's weighing you dn.

Dropping squaddies because of a bad score?!?! omg  :lol

I think the Cowboys From BrokeBack mountain are recruiting like that.
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 11:25:43 AM »
Just do 3 decent fighter sorties and strafe every spawn camp you can in a Jugg to get easy kills when the guys on the ground are doing the work.  Then you can give yourself an atta boy throughout the rest of the tour each time you look at your score.    :rolleyes:

Good way to both get a great squad score and lose respect.  :aok
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:30:20 AM by DMBEAR »

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 11:29:03 AM »
This is a score is meaningless type post.   :aok
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
No average pilot can get anywherre near the top 100 stop deluding yourself :rolleyes:

(or tell me your secrets :lol)

A decent fighter rank can be very easily attained and can also have very little to do with skill.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline BlueNova

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 11:36:38 AM »
hello gents,

This is my first post so please forgive me if I inadvertently violate some cultural taboo.  There seems to be quite a division of opinion around scores.  I've found the same thing any time i've tried to implement any sort of metrics; whether it is on a game or on the job or even in the gym.  Some people just don't like being measured and others don't like things they can't completely understand or is flawed in any manner.  I always fall back to the intent of the activity when trying to decide such things. 

My take on scoring in AH goes like this: its supposed to be a simulator (says so right on the homepage) and, therefore, balance is very important.  We have a squadie who is a great pilot but refuses to land.  He just flies until he is killed or runs out of fuel.  Occasionally he'll run out of ammo and then he'll land, if its close enough, to rearm.  If its not close enough he just bails.  As a result his score sucks. 
To my mind, that type of attitude, whilst fun, is more appropriate to an arcade style shooter and not to a sim.  The game dynamics are designed around individuals attempting to survive and score reflects that.  If  you don't care about score then it doesn't matter anyway but don't get upset because someone else wants to know how well you are corresponding to the games balancing mechanism.

We would also never consider kicking the guy out because he is extremely cool and his flagrant disregard for score and the games balancing mechanism gives our squad a definite edge up.  In the end, scoring is just a measure of how well an individual performs against the games overall intended purpose and nothing else.   

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »
   :cry :cry no

wassubbi Tools :P

:lol Floatsup,...... you  know you da man and one of my favorite wingman. Me and you have always played the game very similar. We are well rounded players and don't work for score, we just let it happen.

Lusche, Anyone who likes to take bases and has some fighter skills CAN score under 500 every month without even trying and can do it in less than 20 hours of game play.

Yarbles, Squad scoring is complicated and is dependent on how many good guys you have opposed to not so good guys and how often they play. A squad of Two good guys can rank between 1-5 much easier than 30 because they don't have to make up for the not so good guys that can't seem to allocate their planes properly and get themselves killed all the time. In order to rank high your squad also needs to be able to take bases. A well rounded squad will always rank higher than a fighter, bomber or gv only squad because they can do it all and not just one thing.

I'm sure many can find fault in what I've said but i don't have time to cover every angle of squad score but those are the basics.