Author Topic: White Screen and game freezing and plane reverting to default  (Read 420 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
White Screen and game freezing and plane reverting to default
« on: August 14, 2009, 12:21:59 PM »
Like many others, since Patch 5 I've been experiencing quite a few white screens of death in addition to the game freezing.  The WSOD is random and can't seem to be able to recreate it on a regular basis.  The game freezing up has also started with Patch 5.  The game will typically freeze when I enter in the arena or when I take screenshots.

Also, when I either get the WSOD or a game freeze, when I get back in the game my plane selections in the hanger revert back to defaults (i.e. default skin, 25% fuel).  One more thing too, when the game freezes when I take a screenshot, it actually does take the screenshot because I can view it in the AH directory afterwards.

Unfortunately, I'm at work right now and can't attach my DXDiag file but here are the system specs on my rig for AH.  Again, this only started with Patch 5.

WinXP SP3
Core 2 Duo E6420 OC to 3.0Ghz
ATI HD3850 512meg AGP
2G RAM

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: White Screen and game freezing and plane reverting to default
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »
So far haven't experienced a WSOD with Patch 6 but the game still tends to lock up when entering an arena or when taking a screenshot.  If the game locks up like this, I have to reboot my system.  When I get back in the game, the textures in video setup are at 128 and in game, all planes are at default (default skins, 25% fuel).

ack-ack

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 08:03:35 AM »
So far haven't experienced a WSOD with Patch 6 but the game still tends to lock up when entering an arena or when taking a screenshot.  If the game locks up like this, I have to reboot my system.  When I get back in the game, the textures in video setup are at 128 and in game, all planes are at default (default skins, 25% fuel).

ack-ack

I will occasionally get the freeze when 1st logging into an arena.  I too have to reboot as my system is frozen.  I never get my settings reset though.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 08:51:57 AM »
WinXP SP3
Core 2 Duo E6420 OC to 3.0Ghz
ATI HD3850 512meg AGP
2G RAM

ack-ack

When I get back in the game, the textures in video setup are at 128 and in game, all planes are at default (default skins, 25% fuel).

ack-ack

Fairly sure 1 of Support's next questions will be "What texture size are you trying to run". I have no idea what it should be myself. 128 doesn't sound right.
IIRC the game is supposed to default to a recommended texture size the first time it's run. Would be nice if the vidio settup panel had a "reset to default" button. Might be helpfull for self trouble shooting. 
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 12:35:17 PM »
Fairly sure 1 of Support's next questions will be "What texture size are you trying to run". I have no idea what it should be myself. 128 doesn't sound right.
IIRC the game is supposed to default to a recommended texture size the first time it's run. Would be nice if the vidio settup panel had a "reset to default" button. Might be helpfull for self trouble shooting. 

Normally, texture size is set to 1024 and in game at that setting with hi-res pack installed I get a solid 75fps.  Would like to further add that this only started with Patch 5.

ack-ack

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 01:08:16 PM »
almost evry time i have upped game white screens as soon as i spawn up :( also have to reboot my comp when this happens hope they get it fixed soon
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »
Not sure if this actually worked but the coincidence is just a little too canny.  Since I updated over the previous version of AH, I began to wonder if it was a corrupted cache file but recall reading that the latest version no longer used the cache files.  Since I was getting tired of the lock ups, I deleted the cache folder in the AH directory anyway.  I played yesterday for an hour or so and did not experience one game freeze at all at any time. 

If anyone installed the update over their previous AH install, try deleting the old cache folder in the AH director and see if that improves things.

ack-ack

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 11:02:14 PM »
I have these same lockups

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 02:52:28 AM »
Since deleting the old cache folder in the AH root directory, I haven't experienced a lock up when entering an arena.

ack-ack