Author Topic: "Interesting" choices that'd still be MA useful:  (Read 421 times)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
"Interesting" choices that'd still be MA useful:
« on: December 10, 2001, 09:31:00 AM »
Here's a few aircraft to think about that would be competative in the main arena, but don't usually see a whole lot of people asking for them.  They typically haven't seen much representation in other flightsims, either, so they fall into the "interesting" category.

Heinkel He-100 (German):    Basically performs like a Bf-109G except without the 109's major flaws.  Something like a dozen built and used for local defence.

P-63 (Russian) Although built by America, the P-63 was used mostly by the Soviets.  Well-armed with weapons that posess good ballistics and equipped with highly effective flaps, this plane would doubtlessly find a niche in the MA.

P-40K (USA)  A later-model P-40 than the more common B or E, the P-40K could actually hold its own in the AH MA, with performance nearly identical to the Ki-61 and arguably better weapons.

Ki-44 (Japan)  Not fast or very well-armed, but climbs and accelerates like a rocket.  Perfect for sheer vertical fighting.

J2M (Japan) Another often forgotten Japanese fighter, the few J2M's that were built proved more adept than the Zero for fighting the "Americon iron".

He-177 (German)  I've come to reverse my opinion on this plane and feel it'd be a worthy addition to AH's bomber stable.  It would be especially valuable for balancing bomber capabilities in the CT.

FM2 (American) Considered the Navy's best dogfighter under 10000 feet, the FM2 would be able to maneuver with anything but a Zero.  Nice for those carrier furballs.

I think any of those planes would make a fine, unique addition to the AH planeset without needing to be perked.  Comments?

J_A_B

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2001, 10:40:00 AM »
Man i used to love the FM-2 in warbirds.
only 4 .50's, but it was just a blast to fly  :D

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2001, 10:41:00 AM »
Strangely enough, there ARE somethings you and I agree on 100%   ;)
 I've personally wanted each of those planes(plus more) since the beginning. Even the HE-100. Add the Beaufighter, IAR-80, Italian bombers, RE-2005/G55 and the Japanese 'Nick' too!

Westy

(p.s. My last flight and kill in AW was while flying the F4F in 'BigPac.' I've always loved the F4F and would like the FM-2 even more)

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: O'Westy ]

Offline HoHun

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
Hi Jab,

>Heinkel He-100 (German): Basically performs like a Bf-109G except without the 109's major flaws.

I would love to see the Heinkel He 100!

I'm afraid, though, it wouldn't really perform like a Me 109G: Remember it was powered by a DB601A, the same that powered the Me 109E.

The Heinkel figures for the type are extremely impressive - up to 16000 ft, equal to the P-51B. You'll admit probably admit that this sounds a bit too good for an aircraft powered by a 1175 HP engine :-)

Calculating back from peak horsepower of its special engine, even the record airframe in full race trim - reduced wingspan and everything - couldn't have reached the speeds Heinkel claimed for the combat-ready He 100D.

In fact, the record airframe might have equalled the Me 109G's speed at sea level, but above 16000 ft its performance probably was close to that of the Me 109F-4.

As an operational fighter with normal wingspan, full-height canopy, additional external radiator, guns etc., the He 100D probably would have been a good deal faster than the Me 109E-3, but not even competitive with the Me 109F-4.

Of course, the Heinkel He 100 would have benefitted from the development of the  Daimler-Benz engines just like Me 109 did, so comparing it to later variants of the Me 109 isn't entirely fair, but nevertheless, it has to be recognized that the He 100 wasn't the leap forward Heinkel had hoped it to be.

Additional trivia for Heinkel fans: The He 100 plans, along with a production license, were sold to Japan where the Heinkel fighter became the foundation for the (highly modified) Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Offline gripen

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2001, 03:12:00 PM »
IIRC the Russians measured something like 630km/h for the He 100 (they got couple 1940 under Molotov-Ribbentrop pact) while Heinkel claimed 670km/h.

gripen

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »
Hiya Henning.

I think the He-100 might indeed be fairly close to the performance of the 109G.  First, there's the question of WHICH 109G; in this case let's assume a 109G6 (obviously it won't be in the same class as a G10).  The 109G6 was hardly any faster than the 109F4.

While the He-100 had substantially less power than the 109G-6, it also was a cleaner design without the bulges and bumps.  Although I think the 416 MPH sometimes quoted for the He-100 is probably streching it a little, I think it's definately in the realm of possibility that it could reach the mid 380's at midrange altitudes, putting it in the same league as the 109F4 and G6.

Certainly not an arena dominator, but an interesting and unique plane nonetheless.

J_A_B

Offline HoHun

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2001, 06:21:00 PM »
Hi Gripen,

>IIRC the Russians measured something like 630km/h for the He 100 (they got couple 1940 under Molotov-Ribbentrop pact) while Heinkel claimed 670km/h.

Carl-Frederik Geust in "Under the Red Star" mentions that 6 Heinkel He 100 prototypes were delivered to the Soviet Union. I'd consider them technology demonstrators rather than operational fighters, but 630 km/h is quite impressive anyway.

Do you have any more details on performance and engine of the Soviet He 100s? I think one of the aircraft they received was the He 100V4, the prototype for the He 100B series, which was was powered by a DB601A and had a retractable radiator.

(The combat-ready He 100D had a - very similar - DB601M, but a fixed radiator.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Offline HoHun

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2001, 06:38:00 PM »
Hi Jab,

>I think the He-100 might indeed be fairly close to the performance of the 109G.

If the combat-ready He 100D would have reached the 630 km/h Gripen quoted for a prototype, it would have had reached the 623 km/h often quoted for the Me 109G-6.

I have serious doubts about either figure.

And don't forget that while streamlining improves speed greatly, its effect on climb is much smaller. I'd be rather in a bulged and bumped Me 109 - if it's capable of the same top speed as a clean He 100, it's going to climb a lot better :-)

>Certainly not an arena dominator, but an interesting and unique plane nonetheless.

Definitely! As I said, I'd love to see it added. In my opinion, the Heinkel He 100 would need an environment of contemporary aircraft, though, to prove its real value.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2001, 10:17:00 PM »
Westland Whirlwind.

Two engines, four cannons, gotta love it...

Offline pimpjoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2001, 11:01:00 PM »
mmmmmmmm...the p40. i can hear the whines already

Offline gripen

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2001, 04:25:00 AM »
HoHun,
IIRC it was an article about the Jak-1... can't remember. Anyway the Luthiers page about soviet fighter tactics claims 640km/h at 5800m. No idea about the engines nor radiator. IMHO the He 100 was an interesting concept but it would have needed larger wing and less experimental cooling system to reach success.

gripen

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2001, 08:40:00 PM »
Westland Whirlwind
Ki-44-II
Ki-43
Brewster Buffalo (For all my Finnish friends)
J2M3/5 Raiden
Beaufighter
I-16 (Spanish Civil War, Nomonhan and Early Eastern Front)
Ki-27 Nate (Nomonhan, Burma, Indo-China)
Arsenal VG.32
Dewoitine D520 (Or P-36 which ties in with the P-40)
Helldiver
Kate
Jill

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Sundog ]

Offline Archangel114

• Zinc Member
      • http://flightsimmers.net/runway/azhaircraft
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2001, 07:21:00 PM »
SBD-5
IL-10
F2G

And now we've got a ton. If you hang with the game, keep supporting it, chances are we WILL eventually get all these planes and a whole lot more.

-Chris-
Got F2G?