Author Topic: Red Sonja  (Read 731 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Red Sonja
« on: August 16, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »

Ok, Rose McGowan's hot and all, but Red Sonja? AWFUL casting decision. I don't look at Rose McGowan and think "kick-ass warrior babe."

This was TOTALLY a role for Jessica Biel.

First actress that comes to mind that's not only hot and could pull off Red Sonja's chainmail bikini, (GOD I hope they DO pull it off at somepoint in the movie, too. R-rating, baby!) and I have no problems imagining fitting in to the Hyborian Age.

Casting makes or breaks a movie, and already I'm thinking I'll just find a copy of the Brigitte Neilsen version....

Looking at that teaser poster, I'm already terrified of yet ANOTHER stylized mess like the Spirit....
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:55:54 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Re: Red Sonja
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:29:33 PM »
Who plays Ahnold?
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 10:30:26 PM »
Supposedly there IS a new Conan in the works, that's actually going to be faithful to the original Howard concept.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 11:41:04 PM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl, remake CONAN??? Ya gotta be kiddin me!!! Who in his right mind would try to follow Arnie?
He was PERFECT in that first movie!!!  Looks and voice, (although he didn't say much), his thick Germanic
accent, was perfect!!!  And a guy like Conan, didn't have to say much anyway!!  The supporting cast was
awesome as well.. Sandahl Bergman, was perfect for Valeria... Mako, as the wizard... Subotai, the thief
and archer, my second fav character, (forgot his name) was ideal as well... Love that movie!!!
"Chew slowly.... It's the good stuff!!!"   LOL!!!!   And JEJ as Thulsadoom, with his BOOMIN VOICE,  perfect!!!
And the soundtrack too... again, perfect!!!  Gave it all the perfect feel!!!

Any remake is gonna suck!!! (like the second movie) Too much hokus pokus BS.. Needed more KILLIN!!! LOL!!!
And a better soundtrack!!! And a better storyline as well!!!

You are right about Red Sonja, who could they get to fill that character? Noone I can think of, could
do it believeably... Then ya know, its gonna be one of those CG fey movies!!! So who really cares!!!

RC
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 11:46:23 PM by RipChord929 »
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:04:48 AM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl, remake CONAN??? Ya gotta be kiddin me!!! Who in his right mind would try to follow Arnie?
He was PERFECT in that first movie!!!  Looks and voice, (although he didn't say much), his thick Germanic
accent, was perfect!!!  And a guy like Conan, didn't have to say much anyway!!  The supporting cast was
awesome as well.. Sandahl Bergman, was perfect for Valeria... Mako, as the wizard... Subotai, the thief
and archer, my second fav character, (forgot his name) was ideal as well... Love that movie!!!
"Chew slowly.... It's the good stuff!!!"   LOL!!!!   And JEJ as Thulsadoom, with his BOOMIN VOICE,  perfect!!!
And the soundtrack too... again, perfect!!!  Gave it all the perfect feel!!!

Any remake is gonna suck!!! (like the second movie) Too much hokus pokus BS.. Needed more KILLIN!!! LOL!!!
And a better soundtrack!!! And a better storyline as well!!!

You are right about Red Sonja, who could they get to fill that character? Noone I can think of, could
do it believeably... Then ya know, its gonna be one of those CG fey movies!!! So who really cares!!!

RC

Rip,

Conan was created some 50 years BEFORE Ah-nold played him. The new Conan movie will apparently be much closer to the original character as created by Robert Howard, whereas the 1982 Conan had much more in common with Howard's earlier character of Kull (in fact, Thulsa Doom was NEVER an enemy of Conan in Howard's fiction. Doom was the arch-nemesis of Kull. And yes, it's the same Kull as in the forgettable Kevin Sorbo/Tia Carrere Kull the Conqueror movie).

It's NOT going to be a remake. It's a completely new adaptation that's going to draw more accurately from the original source material (for example, Tim Burton's Batman wasn't a remake of the Adam West series in the 60s. Burton's was a more faithful adaptation of the same comics as the West series. Likewise, Batman Begins took the films even CLOSER to the original character).

For one, Conan was designed by Howard based on Celtic influences in appearance and particularly wardrobe, not the look that was used in the films and fantasy artwork. The widespread imagery of Conan running around in a loincloth is RIDICULOUSLY inaccurate to the source material.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:08:04 AM by Saxman »

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 12:14:03 AM »
 Whos the wwf guy that went cage match.I can see him pulling it off.
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 12:26:40 AM »
Yes, I know the original stories were written back in the 30s, (I think)
But it doesn't matter, Ole Arno fit that role like a glove!!!
LOL, anything that comes after is gonna be pathetic, filmwise...
There have been a few redux movies that were good, as new takes
on old movie subjects... TROY, for example, was a great new take
on an old subject... I'm not a Brad Pitt fan, but it was great compared
to the cheesy 50s spagetti versions...

I compare all the CG crap, to the one movie action sequence that
has no par... Ben Hur's chariot race.. On wide screen that scene is
just stunning... But it took them a full year to film the one sequence..
CG, can just squirt it out... And it looks it!!!  Its like the diff between
great sex, and simple masturbation... NO comparison!!!

BATMAN??? :confused: LOL!!! I ain't even goin there!!!

RC
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:34:33 AM by RipChord929 »
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:51:23 AM »
beastmaster.

nuff said.

this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline GFShill

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:21:12 AM »
Roland Kickinger is the guy you're talking about for "Conan". He was on that show "Son Of The Beach" and is also Austrian and also a professional bodybuilder. He could be the next "Conan" easy enough. It's not like it requires Shakespearean acting skills; just big muscles. Plus, Roland comes into it with more acting experience than Ahnold.

Rose McGowan is better casting than Rachel McAdams.  The poster kind of looks like it was made for "300", so I'm wondering if this is along the same vein.  I wonder if Kristanna Loken was considered for the role, given her experience in "BloodRayne".
==========

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 07:39:44 AM »
Supposedly there IS a new Conan in the works, that's actually going to be faithful to the original Howard concept.

I meant the Ahnold character from Red Sonja...  I remember watching that movie a lot when I was a kid.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 07:40:06 AM »
It's not like it requires Shakespearean acting skills; just big muscles.

BS. Conan as created was a FAR more intellectual character than what he's been portrayed. The original Conan was intelligent (Ah-nold made him a muscle-bound buffoon) and had a sense of humor (Ah-nold played him too straight). Conan was a warrior, but a thinker, too. To do Conan RIGHT they need an actor who's big, but can actually act. Dwayne Johnson MIGHT be able to do it. As wrestlers-turned-actors go he's one of the better ones--he actually seems to have a concept of character, rather than just playing himself--but I haven't seen him in anything as serious as what a faithful adaptation would be.

The poster kind of looks like it was made for "300", so I'm wondering if this is along the same vein.

I'm thinking the same thing. I'm not a fan of that look.

I wonder if Kristanna Loken was considered for the role, given her experience in "BloodRayne".

Association with any production by Uwe Boll would KILL her career before it recommends her for a role.

Quote from: Vudak
I meant the Ahnold character from Red Sonja...  I remember watching that movie a lot when I was a kid.

That WAS supposed to be Conan, but there were legal issues involved.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:41:52 AM by Saxman »

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 09:14:02 AM »

Ok, Rose McGowan's hot and all, but Red Sonja? AWFUL casting decision. I don't look at Rose McGowan and think "kick-ass warrior babe."

This was TOTALLY a role for Jessica Biel.

First actress that comes to mind that's not only hot and could pull off Red Sonja's chainmail bikini, (GOD I hope they DO pull it off at somepoint in the movie, too. R-rating, baby!) and I have no problems imagining fitting in to the Hyborian Age.

Casting makes or breaks a movie, and already I'm thinking I'll just find a copy of the Brigitte Neilsen version....

Looking at that teaser poster, I'm already terrified of yet ANOTHER stylized mess like the Spirit....

When this remake becomes a complete flop just like the first one she'll be glad she wasn't picked for the role..

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 09:24:49 AM »
When it flops it's going to in large part be a result OF poor casting.

More than any other single factor the right cast decides the movie. You could have the best writing, direction and acting imagineable, but if the cast is wrong for their parts it will all fall apart.

By contrast the writing, direction and acting can totally stink, but the right cast can hold a film together and make it worth watching.

And like with the new Conan, it's NOT a remake. There's a BIG difference between remaking an original work, and doing a new adaptation of an original work on which a previous film was also based. The new Conan/Sonja movies are as much remakes of the previous movies as Disney's Three Musketeers is a remake of the Charleton Heston/Peter O'Toole/Michael Caine one.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 09:38:54 AM »
I think it will flop because there's no way on Earth Joe Plumber can convince his girl/wife ack to go see this film.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 12:23:15 PM »
I think it will flop because there's no way on Earth Joe Plumber can convince his girl/wife ack to go see this film.

If it gets anything approaching the reaction out of guys as Twilight did the screaming teenage girls, (I mean seriously, of the guys in the audience how many of them were there because they ACTUALLY wanted to watch that trash?) it'll do just fine.