Author Topic: The new laptop is on it's way  (Read 444 times)

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
The new laptop is on it's way
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:33:57 AM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115594

Ok all that's what i ordered today as an upgrade to what i have now. Thanks to all for the input earlier when i asked for some help choosing a new system. :aok

I went with the recommendation as far as staying with the INTEL v.s. my personal preference of AMD.

A lot of factors went into my choosing this and while the game being able to play was part of it, it wasn't my #1 concern. (sorry HT  ;) )

As this is a mobile work computer/laptop, it goes in the semi with me as a business tool and entertainment source, i had to spec it as such. Weight wasn't an issue, but good graphics and the bigger the screen the better was a major plus.

Only concern i have is the WIFI card has gotten some bad reviews so we shall see what happens with that.

I'll let you know how it is working out with an update later.

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
Re: The new laptop is on it's way
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:29:34 AM »
WTG with the Intel chip :aok  I looked at that one too, my wife liked the 18in screen..
But I figured the 1066bus and the P series chip would be better in the long run..
Dedicated graphics too  :aok

Hope it works out well for ya!!

RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:00:51 PM »
Decent hardware components...those acers are ok as long as you're not trying to use them like a truly portable laptop...(flimsy hinges, cheap body construction)...the only bad thing about that intel wireless card is the short range...be sure you turn off all power management to it...if you're on batter power and aren't using the wireless, just turn the card off manually to conserve battery usage.

You should be ok with it as long as you don't have to call their support...it truly does suck.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 12:24:29 AM »
Would it be hard to upgrade that card? Or is there some sort of booster i could buy to increase the range/power? Right now i'm about 50% wifi and the rest is cable modem hook up.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 03:03:15 AM »
Would it be hard to upgrade that card? Or is there some sort of booster i could buy to increase the range/power? Right now i'm about 50% wifi and the rest is cable modem hook up.

You can chain one or more access points to extend your wireless range.

I did that in my house because a single unit couldn't cover the whole house even though I have a wooden house.

I get free apple stuff through work so I chained a time machine with an airport express and now we have full signal everywhere in the house.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:10:52 AM »
Yes sir, you can definitely swap that card out for a better one...as long as you know how to open the case to access that card...and you don't have a nasty case of fat finger all left thumbs syndrome.

Test that card out first before jumping right in and replacing it...bad reviews don't always account for "other issues"...keep in mind that many places that offer free wifi have small areas where the connectivity available...some have it available throughout their facility...and some even offer wired connections...I would carry a 50ft network cable while traveling (I carry a 100ft cat6 cable with me when I travel).

jarhed  

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:19:57 PM »
I carry a 20ft cable and hook up to high speed off and on during the week. My company pays for the idle air hookup at the truckstops, so i don't have to idle my truck engine, and all i have to do is pay for the internet hookup. :aok

I'll definitely see what that card can do before i make any moves to swap it out. I have a buddy who is assistant manager at geek squad and gets a good discount for parts from best buy, so i'd probably have him change it out for me if i need to.

Not that i'm anxious but just checked the ups tracking and it's in the distribution center 100 miles from my house and is slated to be delivered tommorrow, but i bet it's friday.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:14:22 PM »
Not that i'm anxious but just checked the ups tracking and it's in the distribution center 100 miles from my house and is slated to be delivered tommorrow, but i bet it's friday.
:rofl You're not in S.Central Illinois are you? That station has lost 3 packages for me in the past year.  :D
jarhed  

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »
It's at the house, yes it's in central Illinois, and of course i'm stuck in Tennessee and can not unload till tommorrow. :cry

They delivered it at 10 a.m. this morning.

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 09:03:34 AM »
 :rock Got the new system up and running and played for a few hours yesterday. What a difference. :O Steady 50 fps with 59 fps in uncrowded skies most times. No graphics issues and no warping or stuttering so far.

I do agree though that the hinges should be larger and stronger on this unit, and it truly is a large unit making it less portable than one would want in a laptop. For my uses though it will be perfect. The large 18.4 screen makes playing and working on it a breeze. Cool pad and large carrying case a must, even though it seems to stay fairly cool even after 4 hours of playing the game and surfing the net.

So far i'm really happy with it. :aok :aok

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 09:27:54 AM »
Niiiice. Sounds like a winner wrongway...  :aok

jarhed