Author Topic: Need advice about manual trim  (Read 992 times)

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
Need advice about manual trim
« on: August 21, 2009, 08:08:44 PM »
Ive played AH since AH1 came out. Ive always used auto combat trim. I was kinda wanting to learn to fly with manual trim. I under stand the cooncepts of trim well, but what I need to figure out is how to set in the game. I have an X52 stick and I have the 3 axis on the throttle set for rudder, aileron and elevator. Is that all I need? I see so many other trim settings for left trim, right trim, etc, etc. Even a setting for Flight Trim Set. Not to sure about what i need to have programed to where. Any advice or tips, I would be greatful. :salute
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:33:01 PM by Gary26 »
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Re: Advice about manual trim
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 08:14:07 PM »

I have x52.all trim knobs are on my throttle. my elevator trim is on throtlle, the roller by index finger. Aileron trim is dial around the bottom button by thumb and rudder trim is dial around the top button.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Gary26

• Nickel Member
Re:Need Advice about manual trim
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:32:27 PM »
Need some more detail though. There all alot of trim settings you can map. What the heck is this flight trim set thing you can map?
C.O. VMF-213 Hell Hawks

VMF4

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:38:29 PM »
I have aileron on the top dial (with this axis inverted), elevator on the slider and rudder on the thumb dial.

Setting these up for trim is pretty simple, you go under analog inputs and find the function you want for the dial... elevator, rudder, aileron trim...
Everything else is for using your keyboard for trim. If you use dials you don't need anything else unless you want to have combat trim on your stick.

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
Re: Need advice about manual trim
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 10:46:30 PM »
Ya - i'm using the "keys" to trim - using a MS FF2 stick with no extra buttons - guess it's time to look at some more capable ones c/w throttle setup - this info pretty much nails it for me - thanx.

But for the moment I've always judged my elevator trim by the "feel" of my stick - that is : how much stick do i have left during this set of manauvers. Then hammering the appropriate "I" or "K" keys  LOL  :lol - Is there a better way - can some of the cockpit instrument be used to give you an idea about optimum trim????

cheers eh!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 10:49:59 PM by Wreked »
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 08:01:32 AM »
I also have a x52 and I had mapped this to the left upper hat switch on the control stick for toggle on/off and up & down trim adjustments
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 08:09:09 AM »
There are times and situations depending on plane type, where manual trim will perform better than Auto or combat trim. However, it significantly adds to pilot load.

So ask yourself "Do I really need or want to do manual trim?"

If you fly LW planes add a + mark to the yes side.

If you mostly T&B add a + mark to the no side.

Myself, I'm lazy, most of the time I'd really rather be thinking about how I'm going to beat this guy, rather than worrying about him and trim both.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 08:12:14 AM »
There are times and situations depending on plane type, where manual trim will perform better than Auto or combat trim. However, it significantly adds to pilot load.

So ask yourself "Do I really need or want to do manual trim?"

If you fly LW planes add a + mark to the yes side.

If you mostly T&B add a + mark to the no side.

Myself, I'm lazy, most of the time I'd really rather be thinking about how I'm going to beat this guy, rather than worrying about him and trim both.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 08:17:33 AM »
I fly the USAAF birds and the F6F without combat trim.  Almost all of the others, I fly with combat trim--especially the Spits and 109s.

For me, I've pretty much got my controls optimized for flying P-47s, so I have rudder trim and pitch trim mapped to a hat on my throttle.  Aileron trim stays on the keyboard because I'm out of hat switches, and the Jug is pretty stable in the roll axis, regardless of configuration changes.  Most of the time, I have it trimmed for around 300 mph IAS "hands off".  It doesn't seem to fight me too much at that setting, and when I pull through the vertical, I don't have to worry about it not being nose-heavy.  The P-38 is particularly suited for manual trim, since there's basically no or little yaw or roll inputs to counteract.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »
Flight trim set is a command to make Manual Trim automatically match the control surfaces' positions at the time you press Set Trim button.  This is useful e.g. when you're in a damaged plane and need to move the controls' neutral position in a hurry.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 11:12:38 AM »
I have been finding it usefull in a sustained turning fight mainly and sometimes when I need a little edge pulling up on a target if flaps cannot be deployed.
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 11:19:22 AM »
Need some more detail though. There all alot of trim settings you can map. What the heck is this flight trim set thing you can map?
Flight trim will set all of your manual trim settings back to a neutral point without going to auto pilot and waiting for the plane to stabilize...at least that's the way it's been working for me.

Each plane has certain flight characteristics that can be manipulated better with manual trim...manual trim settings really help when you push your plane to the point of compression and your controls are sluggish...and I've started using it to tighten my maneuvers in fights...(doesn't always work out for the best but I'm still learning the intricacies)...  :D

I've programmed aileron and elevator trims on the "programmable keys" of my cyborg keyboard for easy access with my thumb...I don't worry about rudder so much since my stick twists.

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Helm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 11:46:51 AM »
First off I am very glad you posted this.  I look forward to the "experts" shedding some light on the subject.  I am sure they know better then I.

I use both combat trim and manual trim.....he's how i do it.

I leave combat trim on for take offs ....landing ......also for grabbing altitude ...or level flight (non-combat)

Once I engage an enemy I switch to manual mode ....Like ghost said you have to watch out for too much "chores" on the pilot.  So all I worry about is elevator trim .....if for some reason the plane feels like it needs some aileron trim ....I will hit combat trim on to quick fix it ...then I turn it right back off ......If i make a major speed change....slower or faster I may click combat trim back on ...then off again... I do this mostly for a quick aileron correction.  The combat trim seems to do a nice job on roll trim.

Buttons wise ...I use a CH throttle ....I have the middle front button as:  "combat trim on/off"
for the actual trim adjusting I use the front 4 way hat for ...elevator trim ...and RPM control

I have a question for the experts? .....many pilots who fly the P38 and the Ki84 mention that Combat trim can work against you in certain lower speed and high G moves .....what portion of the combat trim is working against you? Elevator or aileron?  I know that since the p38 has counter rotating props  it must be the elevator?  In the Ki84 would it be both?
XO of ^"^Nazgul^"^
Proudly serving since campaign #13
"No Rain?" ...."No Rainbow, baby!" ....Bootsey Collins 2009

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 11:53:19 AM »
I'm using combat trim 90% of the time.

Only when I get into certain areas of the flight envepope in some planes, I switch to manual trim:

For example: When getting slow & flaps out in a F4U, or when the stick is getting heavy in P38's or BF109's.

In that case I use manual trim to adjust my elevator, airleron I have on neutral setting then.

The only time I actually use airleron trim is when missing half a wing ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:55:32 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »

When getting slow & flaps out, or when the stick is getting heavy.

it significantly adds to pilot load

These are really all you need to consider.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve