Author Topic: The Soviet set  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
The Soviet set
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
I think the Red Air Force in AH is 2 airplanes short from being a very formidable set.
The first needed is the TU-2s and the Yak-3p. You can then just skin the B-25s, B-26s, P-39s, A-20s, P-40s, heck even P-47s. No doubt we sent them gonies so skin them too.

But a set needs a good representation of home made iron. We get those two planes and I'd be ready to say I'd never fly anything the commies didnt. Well...maybe.

But the TU-2s and Yak-3 would really solidify the Russian set as a major player in the game. :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Soviet set
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 03:55:12 PM »
The Soviet aircraft are already major players in the LWMA, with the La 7 and the Yak 9U. The area it's lacking in is the early/mid war set which is what I think really needs attention. The earliest Soviet aircraft we have beside the I-16 were introduced in mid/late 1943.

What would be nice would be, say a Yak 7, Yak 1, LaGG-3 or standard La-5, along with a Pe-2.... then there would be adequate coverage to run mid-war scenarios such as Stalingrad. <Awesome

Just MO...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:57:41 PM by Motherland »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 04:09:48 PM »
I-153 ftw  :noid
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:13:19 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 02:23:47 AM »
Yak-3P?

When was VE Day?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 04:15:36 AM »
Although I've made this list very many times.. in the spirit of asking for a decent representation of the VVS, here it is again, the VVS planes we need:

[Yak-7A or -7B]: The most advanced fighter aircraft of the VVS in the early years of the war is considered to be the Yak-1. However, shortages in Yak-1 production initiated a plan to produce 'makeshift' fighter aircraft by using the resources allocated for producing the two-seat Yak trainer, UTI-26. From this design directly sprang the Yak-7 series, which quickly surpassed the Yak-1 in overall production numbers and practically became the two central fighters of the early days of the Eastern Front, along with the I-16.

[Yak-1B]: In 1942, the Yak-1 was refined into the next step of its evolution. Having put forth all of the major field modifications attempted to improve the still-lacking Yak-1 into a single airframe (which included a bubble canopy and a more powerful engine), the final 'standard' version came into production as the Yak-1B, a "light" Yak variant which finally could be considered a match to the German Bf109s fighting in the Eastern Front.

[LaGG-3]: While the Yakoblev Yak-1 and Yak-7 were considered as successful fighters, the Soviet attempts to produce more advanced fighter aircraft were still lagging behind. Many design teams, such as Mikoyan-Gurevich, tried to come up with a design better than the Yakblev planes, but were showing only limited results. Among them, was the Lavochkin-Gorbunov-Goudkov team, which came up with the LaGG-3. Although clearly inferior to its German adversaries, the LaGGs would form a large, interim bulk of the VVS until finally from its lineage the La-5 would evolve.

[Yak-9]: Just as the "light" Yak-1 would evolve into the Yak-1B, the "heavy" Yaks of the VVS - the Yak-7 series - would also be refined into the Yak-9, which quickly became the most numerous Yak version in 1943. In the latter days, this Yak-9 would reach the peak of its war-time evolution as the Yak-9U.

[La-5]: The immediate predecessor to the greatly successful La-5FN, the La-5 was a large modification and refinement of the LaGG-3, which in this form, finally began to show great potential. After the engine was switched to the Shvetsov ASh-82 radial, along with the appropriate design changes to accomodate for the new engine, the old LaGG design finally sprang to life. The La-5 would come to represent the middle point (and at the same time, the turning point) in the evolution of the LaGG line of designs, which would finally bloom into the most excellent La-5FN and the La-7.

... add these five planes to the current roster consisting of I-16, Yak-9T, Yak-9U, La-5FN and La-7 - a total of 10 fighter planes which would definately complete the most representative VVS fighter roster of the period between 1941 and 1945.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 04:17:41 AM by Kweassa »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 11:12:48 AM »
I'm always interested in deployment dates, and production numbers as well for our events. Anyone have data to go along that?
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »
Would really like to see the Yak-3, just the regular version.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »
Mig-3 would be a better addition than another Yak or the LaGG-3.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 11:29:48 PM »
I'm always interested in deployment dates, and production numbers as well for our events. Anyone have data to go along that?

Production numbers:

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 11:47:47 PM »
Mig-3 would be a better addition than another Yak or the LaGG-3.

Yes, MiG-3 is one of the most important fighters for russian front  1941 events (like "Barbarossa" or "Battle of Moscow" etc).

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 12:24:43 AM »
Tu-2 would be nice then we wouldnt have to sub in B25C's
Strokes

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 01:19:36 AM »
Very nice, and hard to find Aper, Thanks! I'm discovering the Eastern front is the most interesting. Is the source for that material available? I'd like to check it out if there's more where that came from.

Thanks again.  :salute
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 01:56:59 AM »
Lagg-3 FTW.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 03:01:26 AM »
I double dog dare the VVS to get their Yak numbers straight.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 04:11:31 AM »
Very nice, and hard to find Aper, Thanks! I'm discovering the Eastern front is the most interesting. Is the source for that material available? I'd like to check it out if there's more where that came from.

Thanks again.  :salute

There are tons of info about soviet aircraft production during the WWII nowadays  but you need to be able to translate from Russian into English to get the most detailed and interesting data from it. Anyway you can try these books - there ara lots of photos, drawings and tables there. For example:
http://www.wuala.com/-aper-/AH/MiG-3%20Fighter.pdf
http://www.wuala.com/-aper-/AH/I-153%20Fighter.pdf