Author Topic: SoftTH Triplehead setup + SpitSim Controls  (Read 19998 times)

Offline Conan

• Zinc Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
SoftTH Triplehead setup + SpitSim Controls
« on: August 23, 2009, 10:47:42 AM »
I've posted a graphics problem over in the Technical Support section Problems with V.2.14 & nVidia 190.38 Driver, which has generated a few emails and comments about the setup I run. Instead of going off topic there, I'll start this new thread here for any comments and questions about the setup itself.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 CPU.

ASUS Striker II Extreme motherboard.

Kingston HyperX Memory - 2 GB.

Two ASUS EN9800GX2/G/2DI/1G Graphics Cards.

Three Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP Monitors.

The CPU, Motherboard & Graphics Cards are all water-cooled, which I usually run with an 1800 MHz FSB and the CPU @ 4.05GHz.

I'm using the SoftTH "triplehead" v1.09 rc1 software to run the three screens (resolution 5000x2560).

DxDiag.txt
video8.txt
SoftTH.txt

The yoke setup I'm using is a set of SpitSim Controls built by Jon Fellows from SimControl (Based in Torbay, here in the UK).

As standard they come with a simple windows usb interface.

But as a long time Thrustmaster owner, I've converted it over to having the electronics form a Cougar joystick, hence the computer thinks (DxDiag.txt) I have a Hotas Cougar installed and I can use Foxy to program it.

Is anyone else running the SoftTH software? What settings are you using in the SoftTH config file?
(Retired) Now flying Rise of Flight

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
Re: SoftTH Triplehead setup + SpitSim Controls
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:59:27 PM »
Conan,

I would like to see the pictures, but they doesn't show up.

Maybe you could try photobucket.com instead, I never had problems with their image hosting
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
I've posted a graphics problem over in the Technical Support section Problems with V.2.14 & nVidia 190.38 Driver, which has generated a few emails and comments about the setup I run. Instead of going off topic there, I'll start this new thread here for any comments and questions about the setup itself.

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 CPU.

ASUS Striker II Extreme motherboard.

Kingston HyperX Memory - 2 GB.

Two ASUS EN9800GX2/G/2DI/1G Graphics Cards.

Three Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP Monitors.

The CPU, Motherboard & Graphics Cards are all water-cooled, which I usually run with an 1800 MHz FSB and the CPU @ 4.05GHz.

I'm using the SoftTH "triplehead" v1.09 rc1 software to run the three screens (resolution 5000x2560).

DxDiag.txt
video8.txt
SoftTH.txt

The yoke setup I'm using is a set of SpitSim Controls built by Jon Fellows from SimControl (Based in Torbay, here in the UK).

As standard they come with a simple windows usb interface.

But as a long time Thrustmaster owner, I've converted it over to having the electronics form a Cougar joystick, hence the computer thinks (DxDiag.txt) I have a Hotas Cougar installed and I can use Foxy to program it.

Is anyone else running the SoftTH software? What settings are you using in the SoftTH config file?

*DROOL
 :aok
See Rule #4

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 03:29:38 PM »
I'm in Jackson Michigan on Comcast and the photos show up here.

That is quite a setup.
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »
I can see the pictures now - but I had to connect to my work ISP through a VPN-tunnel. So it seems there is an issue between my home ISP and the image host.

Great setup - clever idea rotating the monitors 90degrees to maintain a good aspect ratio  :aok
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:33:52 AM »
cant see the pics :(
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:01:09 AM »
Sweet set-up... to bad it's a Spit  :t :t
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline Conan

• Zinc Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 09:34:24 AM »
Thanks Guys.

I’m not sure why some can see the pics, yet some can't. I'm away till the weekend, but I'll try moving the pics to a new host when I get back.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 05:52:40 PM »

That's pretty neat. I'm in the process of building a simpit and really don't want to give up the flexibility of my Cougar when I make my control wheel. I think I will try to do something similar.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 08:38:41 AM »
Freekin sweet
<S> from a spitdweeb to THE SpitDweeb
love it
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 08:50:01 AM »
Freekin sweet
love it

Normally I'd make some kind of comment about necro-bumping a thread, but this is pretty cool so I'll keep my mouth shut  :x

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 10:17:08 AM »
Conan, where 'bouts in Surrey do you live mate? Can I pop around for a quick cup-o-tea and a fly in your Spit. :D

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Conan

• Zinc Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
Re: NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround setup + SpitSim Controls
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 03:05:07 PM »
Freekin sweet
love it

Thanks JimmyC <S>

Gosh a year to the day since I started this thread, and so much has changed. Doesn't time fly! I've just finished rebuilding the "Rig" and sold off the old bits as a working system. Now up and running with the following setup:

Intel i7 980x CPU.

ASUS Rampage III Extreme motherboard.

6 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMG6GX3M3A2000C8 Memory.

Three ASUS ENGTX480/2DI/1536MD5 Graphics Cards.

Enermax ERV1250EGT 1250w power supply.

Windows 7 (64bit) ultimate.

Water Cooled, but still just stock speeds at the moment.

The same screens as before, but I've welded up a new wall bracket to get rid of the overlapping bezels.

Although having the screens overlapping reduced the size of the gaps between screens, the middle monitor was slightly further away. This made it look slightly smaller than the other two monitors giving parallax problems, e.g. things like the horizon didn't always line up.

It works much better with the screens all flush. It also makes it feel even bigger, can't say I even notice the bezels.

Combined visible area now 52" by 25 1/4", Corner to Corner 58". The two bezels between each screen comes to about 5.7cm or at a pixel pitch of 0.2505 about 230 pixels; giving 1600+230+1600+230+1600 = 5260

So I'm now running Aces High at a resolution of 5260 x 2560

I've also ditched the SoftTH Software in favour of NVIDIA's new 3D Vision Surround Technology.

I'm just running the "Surround" part i.e. triple screen, not the "3D" part (I don't have the glasses or the monitor refresh rate for that!), but I'm seeing a 300% increase in fps over SoftTH!

Old Setup (listed at the beginning of the thread) along with most of the eye candy turned off in AH gave about 30-40fps
New Setup running SoftTH and the same AH settings gave about 50-55fps
New Setup with the new NVIDIA Surround drivers and the same AH settings gives about 150-160fps (Vsync off for testing)

In fact a big enough improvement that I've been able to finally up the eye candy and still keep 60fps (Vsync on)

Currently using these settings

Gives about 100fps with Vsync off, so plenty over overhead to keep a rock solid 60fps with Vsync on.

Conan, where 'bouts in Surrey do you live mate? Can I pop around for a quick cup-o-tea and a fly in your Spit. :D

I'm 'bouts in the corner of Surrey where it meets Hampshire and Berkshire mate, Frimley if you know it, but very close to Farnborough airfield. I'll stick the kettle on. ;)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 03:56:59 PM »
1 sugar please.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 01:44:23 AM »
Wear flat shoes when you go round Kaz some people get concerned when a man turns up in high heals :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario