Author Topic: NVidia GeForce 9600 GT -- best drivers?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
NVidia GeForce 9600 GT -- best drivers?
« on: August 28, 2009, 06:55:55 AM »
OS is XP, Windows PC 

I haven't updated my drivers in forever.  Game is running fairly well with hires pack, still playing with detailed terrain/water, etc.  I've read where some of the newer NVidia drivers should be avoided.  Can anyone direct me to the current "best" drivers for the 9600 GT?

Thanks!

68Scud

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: NVidia GeForce 9600 GT -- best drivers?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:02:41 AM »
If you are not having any problems, I would strongly encourage you to leave it alone.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 07:07:53 AM »
LOL...truer words was never spake!  Now you know why I haven't updated in forever.  As I said, I'm still tweaking some of the settings, but I'm actually getting better frame rates with this new build than the last version.  And I HATE playing with video drivers.  Also.  Thx Skuzzy!   :aok

68Scud

Offline rob53

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 02:18:11 PM »
Scud,

I've been using the 181.22 drivers for the 9600GT for quite a long time and have had NO issues with them at all.  No plans to update vid drivers unless I absolutely need to  :aok

Rob
rob53
The Flying Circus

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 04:59:06 PM »
I have an eVGA 9600GT and have always used the newest drivers available with no issues whatsoever..  In fact, I've seen some performance gains(how ever varying) in certain games while using updated drivers.. 
I think people have issues with older cards (7 series and below) using the newest/newer drivers.. 
But, the wife's system has a 6800 Ultra in it with the newest drivers and, again, no issues..

But, if you're happy with the driver you're using and all you play is AH, it's not necessary to update...
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 09:25:01 PM »
The "Best" can't be the same for every computer, like, you can't have a driver on steriods and expect your computer to run with it like dogs and steak. You have to get the driver that is best with your system. From the sound of it you are happy with what you got and should be happy because if you aren't and you try to dink with the comp, you could be unpleasantly surprised ( I learned this the hard way). Just stick with what you got for now and if you are unsure in the future, just get the info on it and do what needs to be done.

Eagleclaw  :salute
The day no hoes would fly......

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 01:25:10 AM »
The "Best" can't be the same for every computer, like, you can't have a driver on steriods and expect your computer to run with it like dogs and steak. You have to get the driver that is best with your system. From the sound of it you are happy with what you got and should be happy because if you aren't and you try to dink with the comp, you could be unpleasantly surprised ( I learned this the hard way). Just stick with what you got for now and if you are unsure in the future, just get the info on it and do what needs to be done.

Eagleclaw  :salute

Well, I know there have been issues with ATI drivers in the past..  Haven't used ATI in a while, so I don't know if they still have driver issues..
But in every case I've experienced, every card(as far as Nvidia is concerned) made within the last 2-3 years don't encounter issues nearly enough to make one paranoid about
updating the driver..  I'd say he's pretty safe upgrading to the latest that Nvidia has out..  It's not going to hose your system..  If it doesn't work,
go into safe mode, uninstall, use something like Drivercleaner or Driversweeper to remove any remnants, reboot, reinstall the last one that worked and voila...  In the meantime, go to Nvidia's forum and tell them you had an issue with the driver, what card, what manufacturer, etc.  They next driver released, maybe they'll have your issue fixed..  Just like how AH is currently doing with the 8 patches that have been released thus far..  It's a work in progress...
What's the big deal?  You make it sound like the dude's PC is going to meltdown or something... :lol

I really don't care what the guy does...  Upgrade, don't upgrade..  I just don't want him to think he's going to potentially hose his system by updating his video card driver.... :lol
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 01:58:01 AM »
Actually, I've seen a few systems that got waxed from someone inaptly trying to fudge with video drivers. Did it myself as a young lad.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 07:50:11 AM »
Actually, I've seen a few systems that got waxed from someone inaptly trying to fudge with video drivers. Did it myself as a young lad.

Exactly, not saying the computer will meltdown but it has happened before and if you know what you are doing go ahead and change. Safemode, uninstall, etc.

The day no hoes would fly......

Offline lazydog

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 08:48:54 AM »
i have the 9600 too and using the 190. driver with the system tool installed.to overclock it a little no issues.