Author Topic: 5 inch rockets against tigers  (Read 1268 times)

Offline CountD90

• Nickel Member
5 inch rockets against tigers
« on: August 29, 2009, 06:27:50 PM »
Do 5 inch rockets work against Tigers because according to offline practice all they seem to do is bounce right off the top of the turret. I was coming in at about a 60 degree angle.
GameID:Count
The Misfit Toys
Quote from: Wreked
If you are feeling a little useless, offended, or depressed, just remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Re: 5 inch rockets against tigers
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 07:49:25 PM »
Most planes use a high explosive warhead rocket. Better to use anti tank warhead (shaped charge) rockets like those on an IL2, FW190F8 and maybe Typhoon. Those rockets hit like bazooka rounds because, well, their designed the same way. A shaped charge chemical anti tank warhead (a HEAT round in modern terminology).
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Fender16

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 09:56:30 PM »
I killed a Tiger in the MA with a 5" HVAR from a P47 once.
Never again.
He could of towered for all I know. I fired rockets at him and he went 'poof' so maybe?

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:47:39 PM »
It is incredibly hard to hit a Tiger right with 5" rockets. You need to hit him from directly behind, at a very shallow vertical angle. If you're trying to dive on him steeply, you're not likely to be able to hit a soft spot. You're trying to hit the soft rear of the tank, where the engine and drivetrain is, where it is lightly armored and not well protected. You are not likely to knock his turret out or off with rockets.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline CountD90

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
It is incredibly hard to hit a Tiger right with 5" rockets. You need to hit him from directly behind, at a very shallow vertical angle. If you're trying to dive on him steeply, you're not likely to be able to hit a soft spot. You're trying to hit the soft rear of the tank, where the engine and drivetrain is, where it is lightly armored and not well protected. You are not likely to knock his turret out or off with rockets.

oh no no no I got NO problem hitting the damn thing lol. Saw 2 rockets pass right in front of my nose after they bounced off the top lol. But you would think if the rocket hit the top of the turret, where it has the least amount of armor, it would at least knock the turret out.
GameID:Count
The Misfit Toys
Quote from: Wreked
If you are feeling a little useless, offended, or depressed, just remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 04:06:26 AM »
In theory the Soviet RS-132 rockets should be able to take out a tank. In practice Ive never taken out anything above an M-3 with them. Which is only justified cause in actual practice they were terribly inaccurate. I couldnt even tell you if the war heads on the RS-82/132s are AP or HE cause I never hit anything with them.  The Yank 5" rocket Ive only taken out Panzers with, but even that is unusual.

So the reality is I almost never upp with RS-132s and the 5" rockets I fire 2 at a time because they are better then MGs when you have nothing left for armor. The Brit 3" too.

All in all I'd rather have the 5" then any other. I cant comment on the German rockets cause I rarely fly German iron.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 06:52:31 AM »
In theory the Soviet RS-132 rockets should be able to take out a tank. In practice Ive never taken out anything above an M-3 with them.

I managed to kill a T34 a long time ago with the RS132 from my Il2. It was just a lucky shot that hit the tank behind the turret, across the engine deck, and I was pointed directly nose down.

It was pure luck, I almost never go tank plinking anyway.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 08:38:47 AM »
oh no no no I got NO problem hitting the damn thing lol. Saw 2 rockets pass right in front of my nose after they bounced off the top lol. But you would think if the rocket hit the top of the turret, where it has the least amount of armor, it would at least knock the turret out.

Okay.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 08:43:06 AM »
Blooz is right, the smaller rockets work better against Tigers.  I use to frequently kill Tigers with 190F-8 rockets.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 09:33:39 AM »
I killed a few panzers with f4u-1d rockets I'm not sure if its possible to kill a Tiger or not, I'm guessing no.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »
I managed to kill a T34 a long time ago with the RS132 from my Il2. It was just a lucky shot that hit the tank behind the turret, across the engine deck, and I was pointed directly nose down.

It was pure luck, I almost never go tank plinking anyway.
Aye, I got a T-34 with the I-16's rockets by hitting its side. I think I got it in between the treads and the deck, so that might explain why I killed it.

Fear the I-16!
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »
I've hit and killed Ost and Panzer with the IL2's rockets a couple times...I do believe they are AP.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 07:31:34 PM »
American rockets are the best except fired from a b38....wing span is wider than GV's.  Killed and tracked many a GV with F6f, including tigers.  Although I have to say it's easier to track a tiger than kill it.  

With moving GV's 2 salvo's of 3 usually guarantee's a tracking.  Stationary GV's a salvo of 5 or 6.  Best to come in steep on a side profile for stationary gv.  

IL-2 rockets have proven less successfully unless it's stationary with a full salvo. If your in an IL-2 best to go guns steep on a tigers hatch.

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 07:54:46 PM »
Ive read many stories where the typhoon was use to kill tigers. I have tried it in AHII never had any success.
I always though the typhies rockets were under modeled compared to the reports of WWII vets

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 07:24:20 AM »
If the game were modeled accuratly in every aspect to damage nobody would bother playing.  My 2 cents.  Would be fun if it were; on special occasions.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?