Author Topic: Water sucks again...  (Read 2163 times)

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
Re: Water sucks again...
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2009, 11:17:23 PM »
You're gaming the game with that crap and have the audacity to call out HTC and their "water sucking"?   
LOL. I'm sure he means simply moving his head forward. Nobody ever did that with a gunsight for sure.  :rolleyes:
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2009, 11:24:39 PM »
Oh yeah, and the water does need a little work. 2 months or prolly less we will all forget it was an issue. HTC will sort it out. I'm sure of it.
AoM
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2009, 11:32:05 PM »
LOL. I'm sure he means simply moving his head forward. Nobody ever did that with a gunsight for sure.  :rolleyes:

I don't zoom in on the gunsight.   I honestly never have SunBat.   My eyesight while wearing glasses isn't that piss poor and my SA is just that good I guess.   But then again, Wax taught me SA in AH1.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2009, 11:54:41 PM »
How is zooming in gaming the game :huh.  A little confused here myself.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2009, 11:59:33 PM »
How is zooming in gaming the game :huh.  A little confused here myself.

You guys are reading a lot more into it than you should be.   Maybe if you read his posts, you'd really see what he's whining about.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »
The water may suck, but I prefer coffee or soda anyway... :D

:aok   the voice of comedy in a pack of whiners....thankyou sir :salute
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2009, 01:34:59 AM »
MMMMMM...
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2009, 01:47:25 AM »
:aok   the voice of comedy in a pack of whiners....thankyou sir :salute
I would like to say that during this new installation and patches stuff needed to be fixed ,HTC I'm sure is glad for the input, i know this because when a number of people bring something up they  seem thankfull and have asked about the problems, and then fixed it.They need input on whats wrong so they can fix it,And keep paying customers like me.They have done a great job well a large part of the comunity in large has done nothing but flame others.I brought problems up that i was having issue with,and was flamed,then HTC fixed the problems,Ty HTC.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2009, 03:02:11 AM »
:lol i have read through this thread, and i still for the life of me can not figure what possessed karaya to make such a sweetheart of himself.

+1
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline WxMan

• Nickel Member
      • Arabian Knights
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2009, 04:25:06 AM »
:lol i have read through this thread, and i still for the life of me can not figure what possessed karaya to make such a sweetheart of himself.

NOT

:aok
AKWxMan
Arabian Knights

"The money you payed earns you nothing. You paid for many hours of entertainment you received, and nothing more." - HiTech

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2009, 05:23:14 AM »
  I have 3 separate views of the water.

If I have detailed terrain,water,and reflections on, it looks great, but can be too dark and had to judge distance.

If I turn off terrain, but keep detailed water and reflections on its like the North Sea from the old SAC thing from AW.

If I turn all off its just ugly.

~AoM~

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2009, 06:13:56 AM »
Normally, one can tell when he's about to hit the water BEFORE he actually hits it. Most people aren't watching the altimeter in a fight, if fact, when zoomed into the sight, most people can't even see the altimeter on their screen

...one greatly underestimates the power of "misjudgment of altitude due to lack of visual markers above flat terrains."

It's probably one of the most frequent of reasons behind airplane crashes, other than mechanical failures... and there is good reason why flight schools teach instrumental flight - learning to trust what your instrument reads and fly accordingly, rather than trusting what you actually see, since in many cases, your eyes fool you.

Besides, it can only mean that flying over water at low altitudes, and getting into a maneuvering contest is a dangerous thing which people should try to avoid... which, I don't see anything wrong with.

So, like I've said before, we have pretty water, and we also have people being alarmed about fighting over large bodies of water at lower altitudes.. two realism points at the price of one..

I call this a Win-Win.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2009, 08:06:04 AM »
Even at 1680x1050 I still zoom.  It makes evaluation of the target's attitude as precise as possible, to fly exactly where you want to be.  Whether offensive or defensive, medium or long range.

<--- does the same.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2009, 08:49:19 AM »
 But then again, Wax taught me SA in AH1.   

This cracks me up.  Am I supposed to be impressed or something?  Leave this stuff out of your posts, dude.  This discussion is not about you and it doesn’t serve you well to always pepper your posts with this “look at me, I’m a vet” hubris.   

Anyway, I said “move his head forward” which is different from “zoom”.  They are actually two completely different commands in game.  Moving one’s head forward is no different than leaning toward the screen if TrackIR is being used.  There is absolutely nothing gamey about that.  Actually zooming in could be considered gamey but who cares?  There are some functions that the game allows that make up for the inherent lack of clarity that comes with viewing cartoons on a computer rather than what you would see in RL.  Having said that, if someone is zoomed in and smacks the water because they were “zoomed” not just leaning forward, then it’s their fault, not the game’s.  However, that is not what the OP was talking about.  The whole zoom thing came up when someone told him to look at his instruments.  The fact remains (and this is what the OP was trying to point out) that it is more difficult to judge the distance to the water now that it was before this latest release.  Perhaps this is what they intended which was to make this RL problem (as Kweassa states above) more realistic in game. Personally, I hope they make an adjustment but it is playable the way it is now. 

One last thing, I think the suggestion to not fight over the water that some have made here is completely absurd.  That would pretty much rule out many Pacific scenarios and shut down the furball area in the DA – hey wait a second, good job HTC!!   :aok
AoM

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2009, 09:47:41 AM »
This cracks me up.  Am I supposed to be impressed or something?  Leave this stuff out of your posts, dude.  This discussion is not about you and it doesn’t serve you well to always pepper your posts with this “look at me, I’m a vet” hubris.    

Anyway, I said “move his head forward” which is different from “zoom”.  They are actually two completely different commands in game.  Moving one’s head forward is no different than leaning toward the screen if TrackIR is being used.  There is absolutely nothing gamey about that.  Actually zooming in could be considered gamey but who cares?  There are some functions that the game allows that make up for the inherent lack of clarity that comes with viewing cartoons on a computer rather than what you would see in RL.  Having said that, if someone is zoomed in and smacks the water because they were “zoomed” not just leaning forward, then it’s their fault, not the game’s.  However, that is not what the OP was talking about.  The whole zoom thing came up when someone told him to look at his instruments.  The fact remains (and this is what the OP was trying to point out) that it is more difficult to judge the distance to the water now that it was before this latest release.  Perhaps this is what they intended which was to make this RL problem (as Kweassa states above) more realistic in game. Personally, I hope they make an adjustment but it is playable the way it is now.  

One last thing, I think the suggestion to not fight over the water that some have made here is completely absurd.  That would pretty much rule out many Pacific scenarios and shut down the furball area in the DA – hey wait a second, good job HTC!!   :aok

When you're climbing off of my ankle as you always enjoy the opportunity, whether it is in here or in game.   That is the whole CRUX behind the OP and his whines to yesterday.   If he is "leaning forward" (which he would have stated) it is still his fault for crashing, not HTC's. 

Here's a fact of life Sunbat.   When you "zoom in" on anything in RL, you lose depth perception, it's gone.  This is something that HTC modeled correctly and folks want a "Free ride" to fly around zoomed in.   If you CHOOSE to "zoom in", be prepared to pay the consequences.   Don't come in here whining.   Which is what the OP did.

But there's always a crowd of "supporters" who just unknowingly hop aboard a whine train and fail to actually READ the posts, but they notice who replies and do their best to take cheap shots.   :aok
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:53:36 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC