Author Topic: What to get: 2006 Z06 or 2006 911 S?  (Read 34858 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: What to get: 2006 Z06 or 2006 911 S?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 11:27:03 AM »
Porsche is one of the most reliable and easy to maintain car brands out there :)

The leaf spring suspension on the vette will rust before the Porsche is out of gas ;)

since when does fiberglass rust?

and i do believe that the water cooled 911's had/have pretty common waterpump/thermostat/head gasket problems?

the only problem the vette has, is that it's still a chevy.... :noid :noid

and finally, while the vette looks like the race car it is, a porshe looks like a cockroach with wheels.  :D :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »
You should just buy my wifes 03 vette convertable. She wanted that car and has put a grand total of about 5000 miles on it. :rolleyes:
I tried to trade it about a month ago and I almost punched the dealer when he told me what it's worth now. Most expensive 5000 miles EVER! :furious

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 11:40:07 AM »
You should just buy my wifes 03 vette convertable. She wanted that car and has put a grand total of about 5000 miles on it. :rolleyes:
I tried to trade it about a month ago and I almost punched the dealer when he told me what it's worth now. Most expensive 5000 miles EVER! :furious

Hapless Penguins fans.    :uhoh
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 11:40:37 AM »

03 should still be pretty valuable.........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 12:01:22 PM »
03 should still be pretty valuable.........
Not the trade-in value vs the original sticker price.

Cap1...they don't use fiberglass for the suspension parts on the Vette which is what Nilsen referred to...nor do they use steel. It's mostly aluminum...which I think Nilsen also forgot a few things as well...no leaf springs on a Vette since the 70s.

And this sir looks nothing like a "cockroach with wheels":

Whereas this looks like a Lamborghini wannabe:
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 12:06:13 PM »
lol.......I'm taking it you didn't research your wife's Vette before you tried to trade it in?  Kelly Blue Book, NADA.com, Edmonds, etc., would have given you an idea of the  value of your wife's car.  NO dealer is gonna quote you a good trade in price.  They are in it to get your trade as cheap as possible and then turn around and sell your former car at a premium price.
Don't take the dealer's word...the salesman's job is to convince you that you got a fair price for your car and steer you into buying a new car, so expect him to shoot you a lowball price.
What figure were you quoted, just out of curiousity?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »
Not the trade-in value vs the original sticker price.

Cap1...they don't use fiberglass for the suspension parts on the Vette which is what Nilsen referred to...nor do they use steel. It's mostly aluminum...which I think Nilsen also forgot a few things as well...no leaf springs on a Vette since the 70s.

And this sir looks nothing like a "cockroach with wheels":
(Image removed from quote.)

Whereas this looks like a Lamborghini wannabe:
(Image removed from quote.)

lol....ya, i was thinking of the corvettes with the transverse leaf...i thought they were fiberglass.

i think that the vette actually look a thousand times better than the lambo. given the choice, if you offered to give me the top of the line lambo, or top of the line vette.........i'd either take the lambo, and sell it for a vette, or i'd just do it the easy and take the vette.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 12:31:49 PM »

2. Slightly more utility, as I can (uncomfortably albeit) carry more than 1 person short distances if I need to (this may be crucial when denizens of women throw themselves at me uncontrollably)

3. Likely a more distinguished and better overall impression, particularly with respect to meeting business clients (I live in Orange County, California and unfortunately corvettes are looked down upon by the majority of people). While I hate this fact, it is undeniable!

If these are important considerations, get yourself a luxury sedan.  You won't have "rocket ship" performance, but:

- You'll still have a very, very fast car
- You'll actually be able to entertain more than one business client at a time
- You'll be able to fit four women comfortably, and they will all still like your car
- You could probably get a 2008 or even 2009 for the same price, if not less, than the 2006 Corvette.

Even so, you have to drive a car you like, so get what you want.  I just don't see why you would want something so ridiculously impractical, unless you have a second car.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 12:42:09 PM »
If I had the money...and this was the criteria:

2. Slightly more utility, as I can (uncomfortably albeit) carry more than 1 person short distances if I need to (this may be crucial when denizens of women throw themselves at me uncontrollably)

3. Likely a more distinguished and better overall impression, particularly with respect to meeting business clients (I live in Orange County, California and unfortunately corvettes are looked down upon by the majority of people). While I hate this fact, it is undeniable!

I'd buy this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-AUDI-A8-L-W12-QUATTRO-RARE-1-OWNER-ONLY-8K-WOW_W0QQitemZ290344447475QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item4399e0adf3&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245
jarhed  

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 01:03:55 PM »
Considering the "dealer" is a life long family friend that I have bought every vehicle I have ever owned from I didn't feel i needed to do research. He's a straight shooter with me and my family.  My Lincoln pickup had a "sticker"  that was 49 and I took it home for 9 less than that. No dealer within 3 States was even close to him. He just makes up for it with other schmucks I'm sure. :D :rofl

Cap...trust me it's not  :(

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »
Oh.. that vette was 56 new in '03 and is worth around the low to MAYBE mid 20's now. He said the vette market is baaad right now though :(

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
as the porsche is only a 911S I would say a corvette, unless it was the GT4 or GT3, I dont really see how you can fully appreciate the handling and driving experience a Porsche can give you, in American, where, most of the roads are long,wide and straight. on the typical american roads a Porsche is quite wasted. On typical European roads the Porsche would be able to go faster around the country lanes.

this is Porsche territory

Corvette territory

buy a car you like, not your neighbour, at the end of the day he will not be the one paying and driving it.
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 01:49:25 PM »
yet the vette is quicker on the ring........ :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

which if i'm not mistaken, is twisty/curvy like the typical european roads?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
as the porsche is only a 911S I would say a corvette, unless it was the GT4 or GT3, I dont really see how you can fully appreciate the handling and driving experience a Porsche can give you, in American, where, most of the roads are long,wide and straight. on the typical american roads a Porsche is quite wasted. On typical European roads the Porsche would be able to go faster around the country lanes.
I'd still take that W12 Audi over the Porsche on those twisty roads any day of the week...even though I love the 911S.

You haven't been to Western Colorado or the Southern California area much have you?

jarhed