Author Topic: What to get: 2006 Z06 or 2006 911 S?  (Read 34870 times)

Offline mondego

• Zinc Member
What to get: 2006 Z06 or 2006 911 S?
« on: August 31, 2009, 03:09:56 AM »
I haven't been on AH quite so much because I've been workin' like a dog! The benefit of which is I'm looking to buy a 'new' car. I can't decide between a C6 corvette Z06 or a 997 Carrera S, so I've decided to ask the opinions of my fellow aces. I figure since we all can agree the BF109 K4 is the best plane in the game, we can all just as easily come to a conclusion as to which car would be better. ;)

Below are the pros to each car that I can think of:

Porsche Pros:

1. I prefer the exterior and especially the interior of this car over the corvette

2. Slightly more utility, as I can (uncomfortably albeit) carry more than 1 person short distances if I need to (this may be crucial when denizens of women throw themselves at me uncontrollably)

3. Likely a more distinguished and better overall impression, particularly with respect to meeting business clients (I live in Orange County, California and unfortunately corvettes are looked down upon by the majority of people). While I hate this fact, it is undeniable!

4. I don't think I would really ever want to go faster than what the Z06 allows. I could always add an after market supercharger to the 911 and have similar performance. While this isn't necessarily a pro, it does potentially negate one of the corvette's benefits

Corvette Z06 Pros

1. Supercar performance, faster than a 911
2. Less expensive to maintain (and purchase)
3. Likely more fun to drive with the added power (I've driven the 911 and will drive the corvette this week)
4. Whenever I leave orange county, I will likely be heralded as opposed to despised ;)

Any opinions are appreciated!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:31:19 AM by mondego »

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Re: What to get: 2006 Z06 or 2006 911 S?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:41:00 AM »
Im very biased. Id take the 911 ;)

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:44:15 AM »
911 for point 3 alone is way out in front coming from a country where corvettes are rare it is still way superior.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline KgB

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:30:22 AM »
I'm thinking Corvette will depreciate faster, so cost of maintenance will even out.
"It is the greatest inequality to try to make unequal things equal."-Aristotle

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 08:38:27 AM »
No brainer for me, Z06. Then again I'm highly biased. If the 911 is a 109K4, the Z06 is an F-86.  :cool:

<--- 550+ hp 1999 Vette  :t

I could care less about perception. I look down on people who look down on people because of their choice of automobile.

The 911 is highly refined, for sure. Performance-wise, it's nowhere near a match for the Z06. The Vette does have an available interior trim package available that rivals the materials and textures found in the 911 and other "high-brow" performance cars, but that's frivolity to me and not worth the additional couple grand. Others may beg to differ. I'd spend the extra $$$ on performance, but this is coming from a guy who's last vette was daily driven on a full SCCA World Challenge suspension package from DRM.

Basically it comes down to: Are you more about "show" or more about "go?"
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 09:22:54 AM »
Don't buy a freacking car to impress others  :rolleyes:

Buy the car you like the most ... you ... not a "statement of middle life crisys where u think you look cool ... again ... like when ur gut wasn't that big". It seems to me u want the 911, get it. Trade it for something else if u don't like it. Remember, there's always going to be someone faster and/or cooler at the red light next to u anyway.

This appart, the Vette has way way more potential than the 997 ... and is much easier to drive. I don't know for the 997, but the Vette is one of the only car I know where u can almost double the power without having to change brakes/bottom end/transmission/driveshaft.

I would not buy a Z06 out of the showroom floor, let someone else take a $30K+ depreciation the first 2 year.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:28:33 AM »
DOH!!! LMAO, it pays to read the heading AFTER the first pot of coffee.

You're looking at a 2006 model...forget what I said then. Go for the Porsche...it won't depreciate as bad as the Vette and it's fairly easy to maintain.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:48:47 AM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:34:03 AM »
The Z06.  One of the guys I fly with is a Corvette aficionado, drag races and loves the things.  It's worn off on me and what you get for what you pay is a very capable automobile.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 10:01:43 AM »
Don't buy a freacking car to impress others  :rolleyes:

Buy the car you like the most ... you ... not a "statement of middle life crisys where u think you look cool ... again ... like when ur gut wasn't that big". It seems to me u want the 911, get it. Trade it for something else if u don't like it. Remember, there's always going to be someone faster and/or cooler at the red light next to u anyway.

This appart, the Vette has way way more potential than the 997 ... and is much easier to drive. I don't know for the 997, but the Vette is one of the only car I know where u can almost double the power without having to change brakes/bottom end/transmission/driveshaft.

I would not buy a Z06 out of the showroom floor, let someone else take a $30K+ depreciation the first 2 year.

Narcissism is a powerful thing.   The fact some people revolve their lives over "what other people think" is sad.   Buy ANY car for the simple fact that, it is what YOU want, not to "impress others" by being a money spiller.  
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:36:16 AM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 10:06:30 AM »
I haven't been on AH quite so much because I've been workin' like a dog! The benefit of which is I'm looking to buy a 'new' car. I can't decide between a C6 corvette Z06 or a 997 Carrera S, so I've decided to ask the opinions of my fellow aces. I figure since we all can agree the BF109 K4 is the best plane in the game, we can all just as easily come to a conclusion as to which car would be better. ;)

Below are the pros to each car that I can think of:

Porsche Pros:

1. I prefer the exterior and especially the interior of this car over the corvette

2. Slightly more utility, as I can (uncomfortably albeit) carry more than 1 person short distances if I need to (this may be crucial when denizens of women throw themselves at me uncontrollably)

3. Likely a more distinguished and better overall impression, particularly with respect to meeting business clients (I live in Orange County, California and unfortunately corvettes are looked down upon by the majority of people). While I hate this fact, it is undeniable!

4. I don't think I would really ever want to go faster than what the Z06 allows. I could always add an after market supercharger to the 911 and have similar performance. While this isn't necessarily a pro, it does potentially negate one of the corvette's benefits

Corvette Z06 Pros

1. Supercar performance, faster than a 911
2. Less expensive to maintain (and purchase)
3. Likely more fun to drive with the added power (I've driven the 911 and will drive the corvette this week)
4. Whenever I leave orange county, I will likely be heralded as opposed to despised ;)

Any opinions are appreciated!

can't go wrong with the vette.

it's better looking than any Porsche, if it's not quicker, it's close enough that it'll come down to the driver......and lower maintenance cost.

besides...a porshe is nothing more than an overpriced volkswagen.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Online eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »

Corvette Z06 all the way.
Why worry about if the Vette is "looked down on"?  It's your money, spend on the car you like.  If you let yourself worry about what others think of your car, you will never be happy, you'll be  a slave to their opinions.
That being said......in my neck of the woods, the maintenance costs wouldn't even bear comparison.  There are Chevrolet dealers everywhere, closest Porsche dealer would be in Dallas, OKC (dunno if they have one there honestly), or even further away.  The Vette could be repaired at nearly any dealership or even local repair shop......most places won't even look at a Porsche, and the ones that will let you know rather quickly that "it's not gonna be cheap, it's a Porsche".

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »
Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche

Get it?  :D

One more time for the road... Porsche!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 11:09:15 AM »
and when the porshe is broken down, the vette will continue on.  :aok :noid :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 11:14:55 AM »
Porsche is one of the most reliable and easy to maintain car brands out there :)

The leaf spring suspension on the vette will rust before the Porsche is out of gas ;)

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 11:24:29 AM »
Porsche is one of the most reliable and easy to maintain car brands out there :)

The leaf spring suspension on the vette will rust before the Porsche is out of gas ;)

If you can find me a form of rust that eats composite material (not metal), you're a smarter man than I.....

that being said.....

:uhoh

Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey