Author Topic: Need help picking a note book computer  (Read 974 times)

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
Need help picking a note book computer
« on: September 02, 2009, 11:03:15 PM »
I need a new note book for school, but I also plan on playing some games on it too, but my budget is right around $800.

I narrowed it down to 2 computers, and I've spent a couple of days pondering on which one to get.  I can't decide so I am going to leave it up to a vote.

1. ASUS F50 Series F50Sf-X1A ($799 from Newegg.com)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6500(2.10GHz)
Screen: 16"
Memory: 4GB
HDD: 320GB 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220M 1GB
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit (but I need 64-bit for 4GB of RAM, right?)

2. HP HP HDX16t ($863 from HP w/ student discounts)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6600(2.20GHz)
Screen: 16"
Memory: 4GB
HDD: 320GB 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
(This one also has a bigger battery, backlit keybord, and free Win7 upgrade)

So they are pretty similar, and closely priced.  Which graphics card is better?  I would assume the 1GB is better than 512MB, but is there anything better about the 9600M GT?  Also, would I notice any difference with 2.2GHz instead of 2.1GHz?

A drawback about the HP notebook is also that I would have to wait like 2 weeks for it to be built and shipped, where as the ASUS is ready to ship today.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Need help picking a note book computer
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 11:14:51 PM »
I'd go with the HP. You will L O V E the backlit keyboard.

What will you be doing on it?
Edit: What I mean is any video editing, photo editing (photoshop) etc

You won't notice too much between the processors...my dad's new laptop is 2.10 and mine is 2.20, what I do notice is I've got 4GB ram and he has 2.
You'll also want the Win7 Upgrade. Depending on what you'll be doing with the laptop the graphics cars shouldn't matter. I can run AH maxed on my little 256mb card on this new laptop.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:17:20 PM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 11:57:46 PM »
I'd go with the HP. You will L O V E the backlit keyboard.

Edit: What I mean is any video editing, photo editing (photoshop) etc

You won't notice too much between the processors...my dad's new laptop is 2.10 and mine is 2.20, what I do notice is I've got 4GB ram and he has 2.
You'll also want the Win7 Upgrade. Depending on what you'll be doing with the laptop the graphics cars shouldn't matter. I can run AH maxed on my little 256mb card on this new laptop.

It does matter laptops can have graphics that are equivalent to a stick and a clear patch of sand on a beach.

The 9600GT and GT220 are same level cards producing around 5000 3DMark6 scores http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 08:10:51 AM »
Something to remember about the HP.. HP are the bloatware KINGS!!! They pack their PC's with tons of crap, that amount to no more than marketing software... Bought their PC, Now they wanna keep their hooks in ya!!!
Some of it tracks your browser history for marketing too, thats sounds like a cheezy form of spyware to me!!!!

When ya get rid of all that garbage, the machine runs far faster.. Like the diff between night and day!!
Just went thru this with a new HP laptop, a few months ago...  Had a pro do it tho, so I didn't mess it up!!!

The cool thing about dedicated graphics in laptops, you can always upgrade later...
Doesn't make any sense to buy one with integral graphics anymore, (in fullsize laptop)...

RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 09:09:16 AM »
I'd have to say you really evened the scales when it comes to the performance level. Both brands make terrible computers (or laptops). Therefore you should weigh the choice based on what you will get out of the deal. I'm leaning toward the HP.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 11:02:58 AM »
The 9600GT and GT220 are same level cards producing around 5000 3DMark6 scores http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Wow, I looked at the list and the 2 cards are ranked right next to each other at #57 & #58.  So does that mean even though one has almost twice the memory, they still perform the same?

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 11:07:31 AM »
Has anyone dealt with Asus and/or HP recently that can offer some feedback about their overall satisfaction?  For example, if I call the tech support for HP, will I be on hold for 4 hours and then need to hire a translator to communicate with the rep?  I also read on Newegg that Asus laptops come full of bloatware too, but I would be willing to bet that HP will have more.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 11:15:28 AM »
Wow, I looked at the list and the 2 cards are ranked right next to each other at #57 & #58.  So does that mean even though one has almost twice the memory, they still perform the same?

The amount of memory is no indication of performance. In fact, two similar cards, one with higher memory can actually be slower than the one with lower amount. This is because with graphics card the bandwith counts more than amount up to a limit.

You can have a 256mb ram card that has multiple times the performance of a 1gb card. Graphics card are tricky because you cannot judge their performance directly from traiditional things such as the amount of memory.

Their performance is comprised of gpu processing speed and available memory bandwith. 400Mhz ram speed at 256 wide bus is no faster than 200mhz ram at 512 wide bus (imaginary figures but you get the drift) etc. To complicate things even more graphics cards have other properties, shader performance etc. that can be very hard to compare.

So the bottom line is don't get stuck with small details like clock speed or the amount of ram because they tell you nothing in reality. Unless you want to spend a lot of time researching (for nothing basically) I suggest reading reviews and taking a look at comparison charts which have been made by people that wasted the time for you.

While they're not 100% accurate always and not 100% unbiased, for an average consumer it's a heck of a lot more secure than trying to figure things out by ram size or something else completely irrelevant (marketing) factors.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 11:29:04 AM »
Has anyone dealt with Asus and/or HP recently that can offer some feedback about their overall satisfaction?  For example, if I call the tech support for HP, will I be on hold for 4 hours and then need to hire a translator to communicate with the rep?  I also read on Newegg that Asus laptops come full of bloatware too, but I would be willing to bet that HP will have more.

I have very recent experience when my wife's HP was constantly cutting the WiFi connection. Since it was brand new (2 weeks) old I decided to harass the tech support before troubleshooting it myself, partly to see if it was any good. I had trouble initially to get a service ticket but once I did the service worked out good. I got service in finnish language and the guy knew what he was doing.

The problem was IPV6. I always disable IPV6 as the first thing from Vista/W7. In fact I disable everything but ipv4 from networking usually but since her computer was new and under warranty I didn't touch it outside cleaning up 20 unnecessary HP services and startup programs.

Anyway, disabling IPV6 support cured the WiFi problems in a snap.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 11:34:28 AM »
It does matter laptops can have graphics that are equivalent to a stick and a clear patch of sand on a beach.
But I never got told what he would be doing with it.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »
I read a while back that Asus support stinks and that it's nearly non-existant. Let me repeat that, I read that a while back.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 04:44:39 PM »
Ordered a longlife battery from HP, got here a day early by fedex, thats good...  Haven't had to use HP support, or customer service yet... Got the HP laptop in April, been working great.. No probs...

RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 08:00:10 PM »

Basically just typing papers for school and playing AHII.  I'm not a big-time gamer, and I don't do any video/graphics editing, but when I'm flying on my laptop I want to be impressed.

So, I'm leaning toward HP.  It kills me to have to wait 2-3 more weeks for a new note book, but I guess I will be happy that I did.

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 08:33:38 PM »
Well first off, you are not going want to play AH during school.

Im a sophomore right now and AH will be nothing but a distraction for you.  Should be focusing on grades and honestly you wont have time for it.  Your going want to have a social like and honestly the amount of time you will/should put into your classes the time you have for a social life wont be a lot.

I myself have my ps3 up at school and since I have been here (Aug. 14th because of football camp), I have played my ps3 a total of maybe 6 hours.

Sorry for the hijack.

I myself have a cyberpowerpc laptop which are made for gaming.  They range in the $700-1000 range for most of them.  Their high ends of course are in the $2k range. 
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Miller

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »
Well first off, you are not going want to play AH during school.

rgr that, I actually canceled my account shortly before the semester started, but I know I will be playing again and I don't have a real system to play on so I have to cope with an affordable laptop for now.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for a laptop that will give me the best bang for my $800 bucks?  What about Acer?  I never used any Acer products.